no snook for you.

sorry all they decided in PALM BEACH to close you out for a while...... maybe up to 2015

For immediate release: June 28, 2012

Snook to remain closed for another year in Gulf waters

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) voted to keep the recreational harvest of snook in Gulf of Mexico waters closed for another year to offer the species additional protection after a 2010 cold kill detrimentally affected the population.

The decision came at the June 28 Commission meeting in Palm Beach Gardens after staff presented an updated stock assessment that showed snook populations are improving in the Atlantic and are not in biological jeopardy in the Gulf. The next assessment is due in 2015.

“If we have a bad winter this year, we will benefit from this caution; if we don’t have a bad winter, we will let all these breeding fish come through the slot,” said Vice Chairman Kenneth Wright, referring to the snook slot limit of 28 to 33 inches in Gulf of Mexico waters. “We’ll really have done something good and we’ll have protected some of these fish.”

The recreational snook season was closed in Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic waters by executive order on Jan.16, 2010, after the cold kill. The FWC manages snook in both state and federal waters, though the species tends to inhabit the shallower, near-shore state waters. The effects of the cold kill were less severe on the Atlantic coast, where the normal season reopened for harvest Sept. 1, 2011.

The Gulf of Mexico recreational season was to reopen Sept. 1, 2012, and now is expected to reopen Sept. 1, 2013. Catch-and-release of snook will be allowed during the closure. In the Atlantic, the season will remain unchanged. Annual closures in the Atlantic are from Dec. 15 through Jan. 31 and from June 1 through Aug. 31.

There is no commercial harvest for snook in Florida.

Snook are one of Florida’s premier game fish, and anglers often practice catch-and-release techniques when targeting this species. When planning to release snook, proper handling techniques ensure the best chance of survival. This includes returning the fish to the water as quickly as possible; using wet hands to handle the fish; supporting its weight in a horizontal position when the fish is out of the water; not holding the fish by the gill plate, eye or jaw; and reviving the fish if necessary by running it through the water head-first to allow water to flow over its gills.

Learn more about snook by visiting MyFWC.com/Fishing and clicking on “Saltwater,” “Recreational Regulations” and “Snook.”

Replies

• snook charmersnook charmer Posts: 337 Deckhand
    %$#%*&$'n BS Their own stock assessment has the spr as "well above" the 40% management goal on the gulf coast while the atlantic is only 36%.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    Good news
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • riym84riym84 Posts: 80 Deckhand
    Good news

I agree, i havent seen near the snook in my usual spots as i did before 2010. I did see more this year than last year, so it is getting better.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Their own stock assessment has the spr as "well above" the 40% management goal on the gulf coast while the atlantic is only 36%.

That's right. When popular opinion outweighs the science, change the performance criteria to suit it.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    That's right. When popular opinion outweighs the science, change the performance criteria to suit it.

It's always a conspiracy theroy with you.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • Capt Dave MarkettCapt Dave Markett Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    The decision was made because every Commissioner - except Comm. Priddy - agreed that snook above the slot are critical to long term health of the Gulf snook population. All who gave testimony stated the number of those truly large brood stock females were down significantly across their normal range on Florida's Gulf coast.
    Without a stock assessment.

Precautionary management has no metric but depends entirely on apprehension and fear. And of course the impassioned testimony of the fearful.:wink

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • whitebaconwhitebacon Posts: 354 Officer
    Gary - After reading hundreds of your posts regarding science v. opinion, I wonder how you would propose performing the "stock assessment". I submit to you that any study of stock assessment of snook would be fatally flawed. Or many species for that matter. It's not possible, feasible, or plausible to accurately count fish. Any there isn't any amount of word-smithing or lecturing from you that's ever going to change that fact.

The "opinions" of professional fishing guides who fish 200-250 days/yr are about as close as we are ever going to get to reasonably accurate "stock assessments". Period. For you to discount those opinions in favor of some idiotic "stock assessment" performed by degreed environmentalists/ecologists/scientists is absurd.

I don't need a scientific study to know horse dung doesn't taste good, or to recognize how much you spew of it.
    You know, that's a great idea!. :thumbsup

I'll write Governor Scott immediately and tell him that we could save hundreds of millions of dollars by disbanding the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Florida Wildlife Resarch Insititute and abandoning fisheries science and management and replacing them with the board members of the Florida Guides Association, the largest professional association of fishing guides in the state, and of which I am a regional director!

All we need is a constitutional amendment. Draft some referendum language and post it up so we can review it, would you?

Great 1st post, BTW.:wink

• JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 412 Deckhand
    You know, that's a great idea!. :thumbsup

I'll write Governor Scott immediately and tell him that we could save hundreds of millions of dollars by disbanding the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Florida Wildlife Resarch Insititute and abandoning fisheries science and management and replacing them with the board members of the Florida Guides Association, the largest professional association of fishing guides in the state, and of which I am a regional director!

All we need is a constitutional amendment. Draft some referendum language and post it up so we can review it, would you?

Great 1st post, BTW.:wink
    Agreed , this is B S , every one here should know that Snook swim back and forth from the east coast to the west coast , this exception for the east coast is B S . 1 Snook per person , 2 per boat limit with the current West Coast regs for the entire state would be best for all .
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 133 Deckhand
    The decision was made because every Commissioner - except Comm. Priddy - agreed that snook above the slot are critical to long term health of the Gulf snook population. All who gave testimony stated the number of those truly large brood stock females were down significantly across their normal range on Florida's Gulf coast.

If they are "above the slot" then how does opening the slot to harvest have any impact? Even if you meant above the bottom of the slot, I agree that they are critical, but that's not the objective question. Does opening the harvest impact the population. The science says no or it least not in a statistically significant manner nor appreciably different from release mortality.

Regardless of how you feel, I think its a bad decision. Staff and, in my view, the assessment clearly support opening it. I think it goes without question that the decision was based on the public opinion. If you agree that is okay, then you have to be prepared for situations where the science and staff think its in trouble, but a vocal minority can show up en masse and sway the decision. That is why I think this is a bad decision even for those who support closure. When you have such a polarizing issue, you really need stick with the assessment and staff recommendation. Otherwise, you just start down the path of bad and subjective management and while it worked out well for some this time, next time it may be the reverse.

As to the public comment and testimony, I wasn't there so I won't know if the above is true until I listen to the audio and request the submitted comments. However, my biggest problem is you can't have it both ways. Either you agree that the population is ok or you don't. If you don't, I would expect you to not be hammering the spawning females during the summer on the beaches nor having release tournaments where fish are taken out of the water, placed against a measuring stick for a picture, etc. etc.
    There is no applicable, accurate, or relevant "science".

If you are so hard pressed to have a snook for dinner, then kill a 20" male. They taste better, and won't hurt the population. The female breeding population suffered in the freezes of '09 and '10 to a degree not witnessed in 30 years. If you're too ignorant to recognize that, keeping catching jacks and telling your customers they're pompano.

Some of the "public opinion" included Captain Phil O'Bannon, who likely caught more snook by age 10 than you have seen in your entire life. After 40 years of guiding in Lee and Charlotte County, I'm going to err on the side of caution and believe his "opinion" more than any other.

The debate whether the FFWCC and the FWRI should be abolished can continue another day. Their record of incompetence is well documented.
    Thank you. Trust me I'm working on disbanding and at the very least neutering FFWCC and FWRI. It's not going to take an amendment, thankfully. Control the funding, control the agency. And I know you quit DEP in apparent disgust. Can't say I blame you. There is a new sheriff in town, and I'm a big $upporter.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,579 Captain
    Snook is closed on the west, snapper closed on the east? Actual reports from real anglers NOT pencil pushers don't have a clue why?:huhSO CALLED EXPERTS ( couch potatoes ) tell us otherwise. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight:wink
    Doesn't make a lick of sense..but then that is our govt. Bunch of clowns and it's getting worse! Money talks and logic walks.
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 133 Deckhand
    whitebacon wrote: »
    There is no applicable, accurate, or relevant "science".

If you are so hard pressed to have a snook for dinner, then kill a 20" male. They taste better, and won't hurt the population. The female breeding population suffered in the freezes of '09 and '10 to a degree not witnessed in 30 years. If you're too ignorant to recognize that, keeping catching jacks and telling your customers they're pompano.

Some of the "public opinion" included Captain Phil O'Bannon, who likely caught more snook by age 10 than you have seen in your entire life. After 40 years of guiding in Lee and Charlotte County, I'm going to err on the side of caution and believe his "opinion" more than any other.

The debate whether the FFWCC and the FWRI should be abolished can continue another day. Their record of incompetence is well documented.

I am assuming your post is directed at Gary. However, again, I see a problem with applying policy based on the input of guides just b/c they are on the water a lot and therefore their "opinion" should be followed. Those guides may be accurate in their assessment or they may be motivated by other interests or maybe a combination of both. Additionally, some guides who are on the water a lot are very knowledgeable and apply logic to their conclusions about the condition of the snook and others not so much.

Like you, I also somewhat question how good the science is (although I still think its lowballing the numbers), however, all the guides, CCA, etc. lauded the science, the use of SPR, the assessment methodology, etc. not all that long ago when it was used to tighten the slots. I dont' think this is a situation where most are questioning the science.

Also, commercial fisherman are on the water more than most. However, every recreational angler (guide or otherwise) these days would have a coronary if the agencies promulgated their rules based on the input of just the commercial fisherman.

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,251 AG
    From that report:

"Staff also recommends maintaining the existing regulations and allowing the Executive Order to expire for the Gulf Coast for the following reasons: the stock is likely well above the biological threshold, the management changes that were implemented in 2007 should promote stock rebuilding and help buffer the stock from future mortality events, and the current slot limit will protect juveniles as well as the largest individuals in the population. Harvest has been prohibited for over two and a half years and extending the closure for one or two more years may not result in any great increase in stock size, because the juveniles that were most affected by the cold kill are already protected by the slot limit as well as the largest, most reproductively important individuals in the population."