Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

Invitation to Join FSF Panel

fishingbuddiesfishingbuddies Senior MemberPSL & IslamoradaPosts: 636 Officer
Just got this in an E-mail
Is this a good thing? Should I join? What are your thoughts on this?

Invitation to Join
Florida Saltwater Fishing Panel

If you go fishing in Florida’s marine waters, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) researchers want to learn about your experiences and opinions through the new online Florida Saltwater Fishing Panel. You are receiving this invitation to take part in the panel, as you provided your email when you purchased your license.

Registered panel members will be asked to complete one Web-based survey per month for a one-year period. While most of each survey will focus on the angler’s last saltwater fishing trip in Florida during the previous month, surveys could also ask panel members for their opinions about current or proposed fishing regulations, licenses, conservation of fish stocks and management effectiveness. The surveys will each take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
“When you have to choose between two evils you still choose evil” Jerry Garcia

Replies

• TB421TB421 Senior Member Posts: 271 Officer
    I don't see why you would object to it? I'd surely do that to give them my opinion/reports/observations.
  • SlackerSlacker Senior Member Homosassa, JaxPosts: 1,815 Captain
    I could not find anything on FWC's website about it. I did not recognize the e-mail address.
  • fishingbuddiesfishingbuddies Senior Member PSL & IslamoradaPosts: 636 Officer
    Here is the hole thing. Just making sure its legit.

Invitation to Join
    Florida Saltwater Fishing Panel

Dear J,

If you go fishing in Florida’s marine waters, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) researchers want to learn about your experiences and opinions through the new online Florida Saltwater Fishing Panel. You are receiving this invitation to take part in the panel, as you provided your email when you purchased your license.

Registered panel members will be asked to complete one Web-based survey per month for a one-year period. While most of each survey will focus on the angler’s last saltwater fishing trip in Florida during the previous month, surveys could also ask panel members for their opinions about current or proposed fishing regulations, licenses, conservation of fish stocks and management effectiveness. The surveys will each take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete.
    Benefits of Being a Member
    Panel members will automatically receive a coupon from West Marine for each monthly survey they complete. The West Marine coupons are good for discounts on boating and fishing equipment purchased at any of their stores or on their website.
    Confidentiality
    We have developed safeguards to ensure your confidentiality. To safeguard the privacy of the participants, the online survey tool separates registration information from monthly survey responses. Your participation in this survey is voluntary. You may choose not to participate at all, or you may refuse to participate or discontinue your participation at any time without consequence.
    How to Register to Become a Panel Member
    To become a panel member, please complete the online registration form by clicking on this link , which will connect you directly to the registration form. You can also learn more about the panel and register by visiting http://www.fwcsaltwaterfishingpanel.com. If you want to participate in the first monthly survey, please respond by July 20, 2012. New panel members will continue to be accepted until there are a statistically sufficient number of panel members.

Thank you in advance for your willingness to participate as a member of the panel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    “When you have to choose between two evils you still choose evil” Jerry Garcia
    Got the e-mail, but could not tell it was from FWC.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Senior Member up a creek without a paddle tampaPosts: 13,429 AG
    Maybe contact FWC and ask them if it's legit.:shrug

I'm a license holder and didn't get one.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Senior Member Posts: 1,526 Captain
    Maybe contact FWC and ask them if it's legit.:shrug

I'm a license holder and didn't get one.

understandable
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • harbisonharbison Senior Member Posts: 5,679 Admiral
    Sent a message to my FWC contacts. Will post reply. Bob
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Senior Member up a creek without a paddle tampaPosts: 13,429 AG
    understandable

The Gulf Council I could understand BUT, I've never messed with FWC.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • mjacksmjacks Senior Member Clearwater, FloridaPosts: 152 Deckhand
    Just got this in an E-mail
    Is this a good thing? Should I join? What are your thoughts on this?

I would be careful here. The Recreational Marine Research Center (Michigan State University) is conducting this research. The Recreational Marine Research Center was started by the National Marine Manufacturers Association at MSU. Partial funding for this "survey" is being paid by West Marine.

The VERY BIG PROBLEM HERE is That The National Marine Manufacturers Association fully supports the "Law Of The Sea Treaty" (LOST). If the U.S. were to sign on to LOST, it would have devastating consequences to our freedoms by virtually turning over control of our oceans to the United Nations. See the following article:

http://www.boatingindustry.com/top-stories/2012/06/15/oceans-treaty-not-dead-yet/

Then read:

http://www.welbornfreedomwatch.org/2012/05/law-of-sea-treaty-lost-3875-obama-seeks.html

But to form your own opinion, you should read and understand the full text of The Law Of The Sea Treaty:

http://www.un.org/Depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/closindx.htm

If you actually read this and then try to understand WHY the National Marine Manufacturers Association wants the United States to enter into this ridiculous treaty - you likely won't be able to understand it.

It may very well be that the FWC is simply using MSU to conduct this research and this is an innocent attempt to gather data that they will use constructively. But if the NMMA is involved (even indirectly), I wouldn't trust it at all!
    Count me out unless they come up with a better answer. Don't trust yankees anyway.
    I got a response from FWC and I went ahead and registered. I took 10 to 15 minutes.
  • FS Karl SnapperFS Karl Snapper Senior Member Posts: 285 Officer
    That's helpful input, mjacks. Some of these types of surveys wind up with really screwy results, such as saying anglers don't really care about catching fish as long as they can enjoy scenery...