Advice of free diving before mini season gets here

greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 830 Officer
I'm looking for info on how to improve my diving abilities. With mini season coming up i wanted to see if anyone had some tips how how i could go deeper, and stay down longer. I go lobstering once every year but stay in 10ft with my max depth only being about 15ft. Im free diving no tanks or anything like that (i dont know if i should call it diving when im that shallow). If i can get good enough i want to be able to work my way to being able to dive 30ft and stay down long enough to find some bugs or shoot a nice grouper or snapper. Any tips would help.

Replies

• Capt_GerryCapt_Gerry Posts: 173 Officer
    Google "How to Freedive" order a pizza and get comfortable. There is a ton of reading on this subject.
    Changin' Latitudes
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    Skip the pizza, the more physically fit you are the better off you are.
  • BigCountryBigCountry Posts: 93 Deckhand
    just find a pool and learn to relax yourself on the bottom and practice holding your breath
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 830 Officer
    thanks for the advice guys. I looked online and did find a bunch of different links that all helped. Going over to the dive shop today to look at some new fins, maybe a new mask, and maybe a smaller speargun.
  • Waterman03Waterman03 Posts: 35 Deckhand
    I like to have a float set up with about 30 ft of line with a hook on the end (i have something that looks like a fist sized treble hook with lead molded into the center of it) I stick this on a rock I'll be diving on and pull myself down. It doesn't take as much work to get to the bottom, giving you more time on the bottom. I also like to do breath holding exercises like holding my breath when walking up stairs. But as stated above, the best thing to do is keep fit. I recommend swimming.
    2001 17' Maverick Master Angler