bahamas fish enforcement contact?

dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,756 Admiral
does any one know who to contact to report fisheries violations? yesterday i shot some video of seine netting using compressed air (hooka rig) to take fish and doing it right on shore.

i am under the impression there is no netting with in 200 yards of shore. these guys had the ends of the net tied to shore.

do you think anyone besides me cares or am i just wasting my time

Replies

• CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,774 Captain
    I care ... Don't have who to contact though... Twice I have hit drift net on that side now and wrapped my wheels bad each time. Once in the pocket and this year off bimini... They weren't being worked. They were lost sections which like lost traps keep on killing...
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    Ministry of Agriculture and Marine Resources,
    Levy Building
    East Bay St
    P. O. Box N-3028
    Nassau, N.P., The Bahamas

Email: [email protected]
    Phone: (242)325-7502/9
    Fax: (242)322-1767

Contacts
    Creswell Sturrup, Permanent Secretary
    Philip Miller, Under Secretary

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,756 Admiral
    thanks emails sent, not sure what it will acomplish but make me feel better
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    we were told two years ago that we could not have a brownies at all and locals were to have permits.. nets suck no matter how you look at it unless your the one selling the fish.. sustainable fisheries .. there is a you tube video somewhere of a deck load of yellowtails that a boat netted
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    It is my understanding that netting is not permitted anywhere by anyone (including Bahamians). Bahamians are, however, allowed to use air I think and are exempt from certain season closures.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    are those goggs???
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    dpdash wrote: »
    are those goggs???

What goggs? Anyone but you know what you are talking about?
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 974 Officer
    Idlewilde wrote: »
    What goggs? Anyone but you know what you are talking about?

So I'd figure he is asking what species is being netted, and offering the hypothesis that it is big eye scad.
  • SeaBiaatch!SeaBiaatch! Posts: 44 Deckhand
    goggle eyes man! :fishing . I cant think of any other species that would be worth netting in that area. "goggs" are sold to visiting fishermen for bottom bait ect. They fetch a good price and are worth ALOT more than small mangroves or yellow tails that would be the only other target for the area. IMO.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,756 Admiral
    yes they are gogs in the net
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    goggle eyes man! :fishing . I cant think of any other species that would be worth netting in that area. "goggs" are sold to visiting fishermen for bottom bait ect. They fetch a good price and are worth ALOT more than small mangroves or yellow tails that would be the only other target for the area. IMO.

:wink