Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

Bonefish and Tarpon Trust behind Boca Grande Pass Anti- Torunament Movement

2»

Replies

• Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Senior Member Land of Wind and GhostsPosts: 24,905 AG
    :shrug NMFS?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Capt EasyCapt Easy Senior Member St Pete FLPosts: 203 Officer
    :shrug NMFS?

Or CCA? Or Florida Sportsman?
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Senior Member Land of Wind and GhostsPosts: 24,905 AG
    No. Not to me. And my ears as anyone who met me can attest are a predominate feature.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    Dr. Jerry Ault – Arguably the most prominent tarpon research scientist in the world.

:grin
    You will get more than a few arguments on that.
    ...we have no affiliation with any conservation groups or organizations.

With the exception of board members:

Captain Mark Futch
    Owner, Boca Grande Sea Plane
    3rd Generation Boca Grande Fishing Guide
    Secretary, Boca Grande Fishing Guides Association

Richard Hirsch
    Retired from financial services industry &
    Avid recreational angler
    Board Member Bonefish and Tarpon Trust
    Client, Gasparilla Outfitters,
    Boca Grande

As I told your husband, Ms. Mclaughlin:

The important information contained, Captain Mclaughlin is that your "grass roots movement", is indeed a corporation populated by members of the Boca Grande Fishing Guides Association, traditional live bait guides working out of Sandy Melvin's Gasparilla Outfitters, and a major financial contributor (and New York resident) to Bonefish and Tarpon Trust , who employs them. 7 of your 10 board members are professional guides, all with a financial interest in removing the competition of jig guides and the tournament that in their minds tells the nation that they are not necessary to catch tarpon in Boca Grande Pass.

As you finally admit in your latest acerbic missive, this is a turf war and Save the Tarpon is and has been from it's inception aligned with the traditional live bait faction as was obvious to anyone watching.

That you have finally acknowledged that association and agenda, now maybe you can seek a solution. Let's see if it is indeed as presented as simply to change the PTTS format as Mr. Hirsch suggests to eliminate the gaff, drag and weigh, or as your professional , traditional live bait captains demand, it's elimination as well as jig fishing itself.

It is going to be very interesting to see you balance those conflicting interests internally, if indeed we are to believe that you have any influence at all with men nearly twice your age, and their deep convictions that have been developed when you were learning to walk.

...that have been developed when you were learning to walk.

Pardon me, I meant to say before your husband was born.

553839_242709095847915_252303605_n.jpg

One of the biggest threats to the tarpon population is the night fishermen.
    One of the biggest threats to the tarpon population is the jig fishermen

The charter guides say that their business is being ruined by fishermen who don't know much and don't care much about the the fish that have made Boca Grande the foremost tarpon fishing ground in the world.
    The charter guides say that their business is being ruined by fishermen who don't know much and don't care much about the the fish that have made Boca Grande the foremost tarpon fishing ground in the world.

In recent years owing to the rise in private fishing boats , night fishing has become increasingly popular.
    In recent years owing to the rise in private fishing boats , jig fishing has become increasingly popular.

The fish are being hounded day and night. They get no rest all night so by daybreak they head offshore to feed. They wont tolerate 100 boats working the pass day and night
    The fish are being hounded all weekend by the jiggers. They get no rest all so they head offshore to feed. They wont tolerate 100 boats working the pass in the day while we work them at night.

It's not just the number of fish that's declined , but the quality of the fishing . Boats backing into each other, people crossing lines , boats refusing to get out of the way when you've got a fish. Some of these private fishermen just don't know any better.
    It's not just the number of fish that's declined , but the quality of the fishing. Boats backing into each other, people crossing lines , boats refusing to get out of the way when you've got a fish. some of these private fishermen who learn from what they see on the PTTS TV show just don't know any better.

These tournaments are kill tournaments says Mark Futch. You won't see a single guide particpating in these tournaments. Guides from St. Petersburg Tampa and Clearwater who work the island during the spring and summer have no qualms about the tournaments.
    These tournaments are kill tournaments says Mark Futch. You won't see a single guide particpating in these tournaments.Guides from St. Petersburg Tampa and Clearwater who work the island during the spring and summer have no qualms about the tournaments.

A recent comptetion spnsored by Millers Marina and offering $1,500 for the largest tarpon caught during a three hour period deepened the existing gap between island and off island guides "Theres already been too much publicity and too much promotion of the pass " said Futch.
    A recent comptetion sponsored by Millers Ale House offering a Sea Hunt boat for the largest tarpon caught during a three hour period deepened the existing gap between island and off island guides "Theres already been too much publicity and too much promotion of the pass " said Futch.

Yeah, everything old remains old.