Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

The OFS Permit Plan - A Viable Option

2»

Replies

• GandyGirlGandyGirl Member Posts: 53 Deckhand
    Tom Hilton wrote: »
    Hey Emily,
    Since you are our recreational liason and was present at the meeting, would you mind getting a head count on who voted yea and who voted nay on the sector separation/allocation vote?

The Gulf recreational anglers want to know how their states' GC reps voted on this very important issue.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Tom,
    I am not a "recreational liaison," I do outreach for the Council. I don't know how to get a headcount because we don't take one. You are welcome to contact the Council members and ask them what they voted. And I will explain again Tom, as you are aware because you participate in the process and you understand how amendments are developed; it doesn't really matter who voted to move forward with scoping. All that means is that the Council wants to formally analyze the issue. They want to take it to the public and get the analysis from the scientists. Voting to take it to scoping is not the same as voting to support the issue.
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Senior Member Posts: 1,595 Captain
    I disagree. Just look at the sequence of events; Bob Gill (Catch Shares Task Force Member) makes the motion to take Sector Separation to scoping at the Corpus Christi meeting, and the Council votes for it to go to scoping. However, it doesn't go to scoping, but is instead revised to reflect a scenario where allocations are based on dividing the allocation based ONLY on sector separation scenarios. What?

Crabtree also pushed the headboat IFQ cooperative at the Council at that meeting - I think CCA said it best; " This incident is just the latest in a string of examples demonstrating the environmental community’s willingness to disregard proper procedures, protocols and laws governing our public marine resources whenever it suits their purposes. By facilitating this proposal and presenting it to the Gulf Council, NOAA Fisheries is complicit in what appears to be an intentional circumvention of the Magnuson Stevens Act."

I believe combining the sector separation/allocation as suggested by Crabtree is another example of what CCA has pointed out as to what is wrong with the current process.

I think the Gulf recreational fishermen, the Gulf States, and the American People are weary of our federal government pushing these agendas crafted by extreme anti-fishing enviro groups which is causing massive harm to our fisheries, our coastal economies, and our way of life.

Enough is enough.

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Senior Member Lower Keys Offshore!Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Hey Emily,
    Since you are our recreational liason and was present at the meeting, would you mind getting a head count on who voted yea and who voted nay on the sector separation/allocation vote?

Tom...While I may not step in and defend anything the Councils do (Gulf or SAFMC)...I will defend both Emily (Gulf) and Kim (SAFMC).

They are not here to be our eyes and ears. They equally provide information to the public, be it Comm or Rec, on what is going on.

If they (either one) have information readily available that they can share...they will. Both are quick to offer off-line support to anyone requesting information, and readily provide their contact info to all who ask. Both are very quick to follow-up on communication.

This isn't even a case of, "Don't shoot the messenger." They provide an information base that is invaluable to all of us, and they have no charter to cater to any sector.

If you have a question...ask it. They will answer to the best of their ability. They won't withhold anything.

Personally, and I also feel that I speak for FSFF, I am grateful to have the access that WE enjoy in such a public format.

They are not here to critique what happens at meetings nor provide insight for what the council members might be thinking. They don't deal in the "intent" of any particular ruling. They simply pass on, what they saw or heard..but more importantly...what has happened at the meetings.

Please keep that in mind when addressing Emily or Kim, not only on this forum, but in any other they participate in.

Thank You for Understanding My Position on this,

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Senior Member Posts: 1,595 Captain
    Rob,
    Emily doesn't need defending as there was no attack on her - I respectfully asked her for some information regarding what happened at a meeting she attended. I asked for no critique, but for what simply transpired at the meeting - who voted for what.

She and I have a pretty good repoire, and I alweays enjoy talking with her at the meetings.

The mickey mouse shanigans of the Regional Administrator is another story.

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton
    I disagree. Just look at the sequence of events; ...

Fair enough. I just didn't want the casual lurker to take any comments out of context since Emily and Kim aren't here to give their personal opinions. :wink

Rob

• IndianoutlawIndianoutlaw Senior Member Naples, FLPosts: 550 Officer
    I just wanted to add that I like this idea a lot! This addition alone would:
    1. More than likely pay for itself with the per boat fees.
    2. Give an accurate number of participants in the offshore fisheries in the Gulf (or Atlantic for that matter).
    3. Give accurate catch data per unit effort/trip (I would even list species caught, number of each retained).

There are so many positives and very few negatives IMO. Most ports of exit have no wake zones where the call out/call in could be made. I have been frustrated with the weather since the beginning of ARS season. I have only made one trip, my buddies have made two, and I have only seen THREE other reports online or in the papers of guys who have targeted ARS out of Naples this season. In our first trip we landed over 40 ARS, but were very selective in the 10 that we kept. All others were carefully vented and released. We have to run 70+ miles to find these fish and most boats just cannot do this. There could be a much longer season in our area, but I doubt that any "scientific" surveys or population studies have been done in our area. Most of the regulations just do not make sense, especially when you consider the Gulf out of Naples is regulated in the same way as the Gulf off of Pensacola or Louisiana...........
    P1000022_2.jpg
  • GandyGirlGandyGirl Member Posts: 53 Deckhand
    Thank you Rob for noticing my role as a Council staff member. I certainly don't have control over any fisheries management decisions and I sincerely try to be as responsive as I can.
    GandyGirl wrote: »
    Thank you Rob for noticing my role as a Council staff member.

A very important one, and I/we thank you for your time. :beer

Rob

• bay20bay20 Senior Member Posts: 1,491 Officer
    Well Tom, Bob and Rob since you guys seem to stay on top of all this garbage you know all to well when anything goes to scoping the game is over and they have made up there mind. But don't worry after Crabtree and his minions have there way with the gulf boys they will be coming over to the Atlantic side to **** and pillage us some more. It's sad to think that I personally have never been a chicken little or wondering if there are black helicopters flying over my house kind of guy but now i am not so sure. Good luck and keep up the hard work.

Tim
    bay20 wrote: »
    It's sad to think that I personally have never been a chicken little ....

Tim...While it may not be falling yet, there are a few cracks to be concerned about.

Rob