Skip to main content
Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Do you guys chum for bait like they do on the gulf coast?

So I'm relatively new to the area, and am looking to expand my bait options. I have had no trouble catching mullet, and found some small whitebait at the inlet the other day which I was able to convert into a few mangrove snapper, but I want to get into some of the bigger whitebait, greenies, threadfin, scaled sardines, (i realize there are several species of bait but I really don't know which is which at this point when it comes to these types of bait). I also wouldnt mind finding some pins, croakers in the indian river if possible, and mud minnows.

I have a pretty good idea of what habitat to look for for certain species, but my question is: do people around here chum for bait like they do on the gulf? I have fished quite a bit in charlotte harbor before I moved here and have had success chumming for bait. but I havent seen or heard of much of that going on here. I plan on trying it anyway with some canned cat food, but wanted to see what you guys thought before i went ahead and starting mixing up big batches of chum.

Is there any pointers from this crew? any help is of course appreciated. I'll eventually figure it out on my own, but am hopeful that i can get pointed in the right direction.

One thing that I know is that I am a bait junkie. I love catching bait, and every bait i see going into the well i view as a big snook, trout, tarpon, king, cobia, etc. Is there any other bait aficionados out there? what are the proper bait names around here? Thanks!

Replies

• 72soa72soa Posts: 308 Deckhand
    I am a live bait guy. My goto baits are mullet, shrimp and menhaden. Seems to work here on the east coast well.
  • Knight PatrolKnight Patrol Posts: 38 Deckhand
    I have never had luck chumming for bait here on the east coast like on the west coast. Over here the bait is a lot more scarce and the only bait you maybe able to chum up is pin fish on the flats. The best way to catch bait is to throw on the large schools when you see them flipping which is usually in deeper water.
  • DesmondthemoonbearDesmondthemoonbear Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    ^ Same, no luck in the lagoons. On the west coast I had good luck chumming for pilchards/whitebait/scaled sardines and a few other schooling fish I didn't bother IDing. In mosquitio/indian lagoon, and I assuming for most of the east cost. The large schools of bait here, mostly consisting of mullet and menhaden, do not respond to chum. The baits that do, pinfish, pigfish, croakers, shrimp, etc. are scattered and not in very large numbers to make chumming worth it.
  • Widespread PanicWidespread Panic Posts: 233 Deckhand
    It is possible. After a couple trips to the west coast I figured I would try it here. If you find the right bait, you are in for a fun day. If you can't find it, you wasted a bunch of time. I spent a lot of days only looking for bait, I have 3 go to spots now. If I don't see bait in the first few minutes I go artificial for the day.