First 10,000 Island Trip Advice

I live in Cape Coral and fish Sanibel, Pine Island Sound, and Estero Bay regularly, but I'm planning on taking my first ever Ten Thousand Islands trip in August and had some questions for you guys and gals.

I will be taking 2 buddies of mine along a kayaking trip for 4 days where we will be setting up base camp on either Jewel Key or Rabbit key. We are planning on setting up camp on the 1st day and fishing that evening and the 2nd and 3rd day. On the 4th day we will head back.

I am really leaning toward camping on Jewel key so I can be around Sandfly Pass area because my dad used to fish down there a lot and he said there are a lot of good holes that are fairly close to Jewel key that we can fish. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as that area goes? I really wanted to be able to set up base camp on an island that is close to a lot of good mangrove shorelines, grass flats, etc.

I was planning on doing a majority of my fishing with artificial's so that I can cut down on the hassle of keeping bait alive while fishing out of my kayak. However, I will be bringing an 8' cast net along also just in case I can get my hands on some mullet or Pilchards running the beach. That being said, what are some major artificial's that regularly catch snook, redfish, trout, flounder, black drum, etc. down in the 10,000 islands? I will be bringing all the ones I use up here such as: DOA shrimp and Terror-eyez, Gulp shrimp with jigheads and flutter-hooks, bucktail jigs (I use mostly white in color though..), Zoom super flukes, Mirrolure Mirodine's and Catch jr's, Rapala Skitterwalks and X-raps, Swim baits, and various other baits like that. Does anyone have any suggestions on what works well in late summer for the major species down there regarding the types of lures I listed? Or perhaps any other pertinent lures that are worth me picking up? I have also heard that the fish down there readily take artificial's...is that true? Up here it can be a challenge sometimes to catch quality fish on them regularly.

Any suggestions would be very helpful! I have found a ton of information on the web about what gear to bring and stuff like that, but good quality fishing tips and areas are not as easy to find. Thanks for reading and any help!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
Glorious in all of Your ways
The majesty the wonder and grace
In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
In Your holy light
That every eye will see Jesus our God
Great and mighty to be praised

Replies

• CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    I will also be bringing my fly rod. Any suggestions on flies?? I use the Crystal Schminnow, Clouser minnow, and deceiver flies regularly up here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 504 Officer
    I love camping down there, either key you pick is good fishing jewel key will put you closer to deeper mangrove shorelines and rabbit key will have you closer to some good grass flats. All the lures you mentioned will work. I use bucktails and paddle tails often down there,mirrodines work well also. Oh yeah bugs are going to be plentiful bring all kinds of bug spray and any kind of bug repellent you can get your hands on. They are the worst at sunrise and sunset. As far as fly fishing goes you can't go wrong with a chartreuse and white clouser. My first redfish on fly I was camping down there and at sunrise less than 100ft from my tent getting tore up by no see-ums I caught my first red using a schminnow. Caught a few snook as well. It was a different time of year though late march. I will be camping down there late October or early November and as many times as the wife lets me. Go down there give it hell,bring bug repellent, and have fun. Good luck
    Thanks nightfly, I was hoping you would respond to my post. I read a lot of your recent fishing reports yesterday before I posted mine and really enjoyed them. Thanks for the advice you gave me and I will pick up some paddletails. Any advice on the color of bucktails or paddletails that work well?

Also great to hear about the fly fishing. I'm pumped to catch some fish on the fly down there! I'll be setting up my fly tying station at home soon to tie a bunch of flies before I make the trip in August.

And I will definitly be picking up a ton of bug spray and repellent devices. Anything work well for the no-see-ums because I know theyre not as easy to control and keep off of you as the mosquitoes are?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
    for bucktails i use white,yellow,chartreuse,and my favorite brown. all 1/8 oz if your fishing deeper with faster current use 1/4 oz. i always tip with shrimp. for paddletails i use the doa c.a.l's in rootbeer with chartreuse tail and all white. i like the bomber saltwater grade ones also. as far as no-see-ums go i heard avon skin-so-soft works but i have yet to try it. that might be worth investigating a little bit more cuz im sure they will be there
    Awesome tips nightfly, I appreciate it. How fast are you working the bucktails and paddletails? Jigging them slowly or working them up and down pretty fast? I'm guessing the first option, but I figured Id ask. I heard that you guys can get a mix of brown water and green water down there in one day and I didn't really know what they meant by that. Any ideas?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 653 Officer
    nightfly wrote: »
    Oh yeah bugs are going to be plentiful bring all kinds of bug spray and any kind of bug repellent you can get your hands on. They are the worst at sunrise and sunset.

Best advise was right there. If it was me, I would hold off until November, way to many bugs and storms in August especially in a yak.
  • SeeingRedSeeingRed Posts: 312 Officer
    That sounds like a blast man. I'm jealous.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm pumped to say the least, but I know the bugs will be bad. I'll be packing some serious DEET heat and some other bug repellent devices for sure. I just want to make the most out of the trip by putting my 2 friends on some good quality everglades fish! I think about this trip everyday haha. I'm having a hard time studying for the GRE because I'm thinking about this so much!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
    Bucktails I work slowly along the bottom and paddle tails are just a steady retrieve no jigging or twitching. As far as the water color goes I've seen what your talking about but not really sure. I'm thinking it has to do with rain water or high tide water going up in the mangrove islands/marshes/swamps or whatever you want to call them. When tide drops it brings that brown muddy stuff out with it. I could be wrong though
    nightfly wrote: »
    Bucktails I work slowly along the bottom and paddle tails are just a steady retrieve no jigging or twitching. As far as the water color goes I've seen what your talking about but not really sure. I'm thinking it has to do with rain water or high tide water going up in the mangrove islands/marshes/swamps or whatever you want to call them. When tide drops it brings that brown muddy stuff out with it. I could be wrong though

Ok awesome. That helps a lot. I'm sure we will catch some good fish going off those recommendations. Thanks man
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
  • FLTXhunterFLTXhunter Posts: 516 Officer
    You are going to crush some serious fish on your trip. August in the 10K islands is awesome. Yes bugs are terrible. Yes, a lot depends on the weather. and yes it is hot as hell. But, the fishing is spectacular. All of the artificials you use back home will work just fine. Live bait is great to have, but you do not need it. Infact i fish almost exclusively with lure and fly and have no problem getting into fish and love the added "challenge". Plan to do the best and most productive catching in the ealy a.m. and in the evening when things cool down a bit. All of the deeper passes will hold tarpon in the morning. Look for rolling fish and then cast to them. Not much science to it. Snook will be all over the beaches and in the passes at night. reds ought to be on the mangrove points and oyster bars. Jack will be everywhere. Sharks will be everywhere plus some. The trick is to cover water, find current and points and fish early/late. You will not be dissapointed.
    You just put a big smile on my face my friend. Thanks great to hear. I appreciate the tips and all that makes sense. Thats exactly how it would be up here in August too. The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is how readily the fish down there will take an artificial or a fly. Don't get me wrong, we catch a ton of fish on artificials up here also, but from what I hear the fish in the 10k islands are just as ready to take a lure as live bait. If thats true, I'm pumped. There is nothing better than catching big fish on lures and flies. And from what youve said, it sounds like you back that point of view as well. Thanks a bunch!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
    And, if ya'll are the more adventurous types, have some heavy gear and want to pull on something that may well drag you around a while, try soaking large dead baits at night in the passes or right off the beaches if there is deeper water nearby, wherever you do end up camping. There are some ridiculously large sharks (mostly bulls and lemons) that will grab a dead bait just about 100% of the time, at night. And if you've got dead ladyfish to use, some of the biggest tarpon and snook around will gladly gobble them up off the bottom.....if the sharks don't eat em' first. There should be be snook all over some of the beaches down there too. Best time (in my opinion) to sight cast to them in very shallow water is late morning to early afternoon (some people will disagree and say early morning). But i like when the sun is up a bit so you can spot them from a good distance. Best tide (in my opinion) is second half of outgoing and first half of incoming. They'll grab small white lures of your choice or flies. I think flies perform the best. Cant't wait to see the pics. you post.
    Awesome! Thanks for all the tips, that really helps. I regularly shark fish off the Beaches up here too and use my kayak to paddle to baits out. I'm going tonight, so look for a shark fishing report in the southwest section from me in the next day or so about that if you're interested in reading it. I'd be shocked if we didn't pull in a handful of good sharks, but sometimes that's how it goes. I've got some serious heavy gear for sharks and tarpon so I'll make sure to bring a couple down with me too. And I was hoping the snook would be thick down there on the beaches. Hopefully I'll hit em on the fly. Thanks again man. Everyone has been really helpful
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
  • big_tbig_t Posts: 589 Officer
    lemon-eucalyptis.png

take some of this and the bugs will leave you alone. even no-see ums
    big_t wrote: »
    lemon-eucalyptis.png

Wow really? Works better than the stuff with DEET? I'll give it a try for sure.

But it looks like I'll be rained out for shark fishing tonight. I'll go next week sometime.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
    CapnAhab wrote: »
    Wow really? Works better than the stuff with DEET? I'll give it a try for sure.

yes. try some.
    tight lines! hope you get a break w/ the weather.
    Thanks you too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
  • IndianoutlawIndianoutlaw Posts: 550 Officer
    The Eucalyptus stuff works great for the no see ums, one of the guides I used to fish with turned me onto it five years ago. Good luck on the trip!
    P1000022_2.jpg
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 653 Officer
    big_t wrote: »
    lemon-eucalyptis.png

Does that work on Mosquitos as well? I noticed it says Deet free.
    The Eucalyptus stuff works great for the no see ums, one of the guides I used to fish with turned me onto it five years ago. Good luck on the trip!

Thanks, I'm really hoping we get on some fish. Hopefully we don't run into a storm like Debby while were down there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
    Does that work on Mosquitos as well? I noticed it says Deet free.

yes it does. very well i might add.
    Just got another comment today about how well the Lemon/Eucalyptus stuff works. Im buying some this week.

Also, I just got the ok from my uncle to bring his Gheenoe down there for the trip. I'm excited to be able to fish out of the Gheenoe and be able to cover a little more water now. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks again for all the helpful advice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
  • eli_lillyeli_lilly Posts: 135 Deckhand
    I'm dying to know how this went, or did the mosquitoes carry everyone away?

-E
    eli_lilly wrote: »
    I'm dying to know how this went, or did the mosquitoes carry everyone away?

-E
    As am i! How did you do??
    Sorry for the delay in responding guys! The trip was actually postponed and we launch from Everglades city Friday morning September 28th. We've been able to save money an prepare all the details. We're pumped to get out there! Any big changes from any of the previous advice since it is now a month later when we launch? If so Definitly let me know otherwise I will only be going off the advice previously given for the end of August. I'll stay in touch!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
  • eli_lillyeli_lilly Posts: 135 Deckhand
    Ahab, how did it go?

-E