beginner fly rod outfit

linhlinh Posts: 327 Officer
I want to try fly fishing out and would like to get an outfit mainly for bass fishing. Looking to spend from 100-200. Need some recommendations.

Replies

• acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    Not sure where your at, but if you are in the Melbourne area, go to Harry Goodes, they can get you set up in no time, if your not in the area, try a local fly shop. For bass fishing, you really don't need a reel with a super drag, I use a Bass Pro shop Hobbes Creek reel and it does just fine. As for the rod, you will need to cast a few to see if you can find the one that suits you best, maybe try a Temple Fork Professional, or a Redington, both of which would hit your price range.
    As far a a line goes, try a Scientific Angler "Headstart" line, not as expensive as the others, but it will get the job done for you. If you want to stick with it, you can always upgrade if you like, but this outfit will get you started in the price point you stated.
    Oh yeah, if you want something to use for both bass and bluegill, get a 6 or 7 wt rod, although the 7 is a little over gunned for bluegills, it will have enough backbone to cast the bigger flies used for bass, like deerhair bugs, hope this helps, and don't be afraid to ask questions here, most folks will be glad to help anyway they can.
    FYIWFG
  • Kevin KellyKevin Kelly Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    A friend of mine owns a shop in the PNW and loves to help young folks get into the sport. A kid posted the same question on a kayak forum, and i told him to contact my friend. He suggested an Echo Solo 9' 8 wt ($99.95) and matching Solo Reel ($34.99). Hope this helps.
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    You're going to think I'm nuts. But I have a handful of rods including redington, st croix, scientific angler, white river and this cortland is probably my favorite one to cast. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cortland-9-Fly-Rod-5-6-WT-2pc/15686695?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=15686695&sourceid=N/A&veh=cse

I bought it so I could take it in the canoe and not worry as much about it. Paired with an orvis clearwater "beginner" fly line on a $15 plastic reel, it is awesome. It will turn over all but the biggest clunkiest balsa poppers and it is sensitive enough that I can catch tiny panfish on little ant flies. It's inexpensive enough that I am willing to leave it in the truck and therefore it gets used more often. I have caught a bunch of small / medium bass on it and it seems to have a bit more backbone than my white river 4pc 5/6.

Fly line: http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=260T&prodgroupid=130883&item_index=1&dir_id=1137&group_id=1157&cat_id=13350&subcat_id=13351
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LeeHLeeH Posts: 121 Officer
    To stay within your budget of $100-200 and still get everything you need Rod,Reel,Line,Backing I'd look long and hard at this set up: http://www.basspro.com/TFO-Professional-II-Rod-and-Hobbs-Creek-Reel-Fly-Outfits/product/11110505004913/310665#BVQAWidgetID pick up a few SA 10lb Bass Tapered leaders some 8-10lb tippet material and a handful of size 4,6,8 Poppers and Wooly Buggers and your good to go!
    BTW, I'll probably catch flack for it by the "Big Fish" guru's but start out with a 8 1/2 to 9 foot 6wt rod. You'll learn to cast faster easier and not develop bad habits like you would with a heavier wt rod. A 6wt will handle 90% of largemouth bass you'll catch plus be Alot of fun catching bream on.
    LeeH wrote: »
    To stay within your budget of $100-200 and still get everything you need Rod,Reel,Line,Backing I'd look long and hard at this set up: http://www.basspro.com/TFO-Professional-II-Rod-and-Hobbs-Creek-Reel-Fly-Outfits/product/11110505004913/310665#BVQAWidgetID pick up a few SA 10lb Bass Tapered leaders some 8-10lb tippet material and a handful of size 4,6,8 Poppers and Wooly Buggers and your good to go!
    BTW, I'll probably catch flack for it by the "Big Fish" guru's but start out with a 8 1/2 to 9 foot 6wt rod. You'll learn to cast faster easier and not develop bad habits like you would with a heavier wt rod. A 6wt will handle 90% of largemouth bass you'll catch plus be Alot of fun catching bream on.

I totally agree with this post ^ Check out my flies for backyard bass thread. I started out with my 9 weight and I collected a cheap 5/6 along the way. I love the 5/6 (the cortland). I am actually working to cast as well with the 8 and 9 I have as I do with the 5/6's

Numbers wise, I have cause 10x the fish on the 5/6 because I can just go in the backyard or to a nearby pond and cast for a while. Lawn casting didn't teach me nearly as much as playing in the canal did. And, I only have ~$60 in one 5/6 combo and about $150 in my other one. (4pc combo from Bass Pro or something)

Now, I'm looking at cheap fiberglass rods just because they are cheap and look like fun. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a nice Imago / Gaia combo or something. Just can't part with the $$. Or deal with the stress of worrying about it getting caught in the reeds as I climb a canal bank or stepped on in a boat.
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • linhlinh Posts: 327 Officer
    Thanks for the help guys. I will keep you guys posted on what I end up getting.
  • RedFishJaxRedFishJax Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    I've been looking for something like this as well. Glad I came across this post. Thanks
    Anyone have any information/opinions on the Okuma Cascade reel? Was thinking about getting one and matching it up with a rod later...may just check out one of these complete outfits that you guys posted though.
    Jackson Cuda 14 - Urban Camo
    yakangler_468x60.png
    RedFishJax wrote: »
    I've been looking for something like this as well. Glad I came across this post. Thanks
    Anyone have any information/opinions on the Okuma Cascade reel? Was thinking about getting one and matching it up with a rod later...may just check out one of these complete outfits that you guys posted though.

I have one on my 10wt. It works well, havent had any big fish on it to test the drag. There is one complaint I have. If I am sloppy with the extra line I have in my hand / stripping basket etc... it sometimes flips around the "fingers" of the drag knob because they don't sit flush. I'd be extremely frustrated if it happened while I was fighting a fish. If you look carefully at the pic you can sort of understand what I am saying.

_i23UKtAoQ00ZYu1SiwxpJqMIhkOump-zPqF5cC-z7H3mjdnsbWU161ZFmCPh-SkWJ604n7WEkOUQFB6Nhze7QR04pfAGdpsRtFvxjr01fuQgYuw5ZzplfaF0VWel_hn_-lfvhQRT62Jq5tQxoeZdInR2sZHw2k-ZmYBQ2SpX-nPIWbeFQGrrpk91FMv2zYs9ztmifqH6Io91Sm3dgNNEDHANsItR6bI53c4wnmDtysHnJtOpNioTH3EJOYBU5gcyBsQxmFFv9uzXahh7MuX0ckVok7XjDpDI1Wi5CpxAU8SNQ66xFG4oM9PCFOLNLlmDm-3TNknOw
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • linhlinh Posts: 327 Officer
    My pc crashed on me so the rod has to wait a little bit:machinegun
  • ChiefBubbaChiefBubba Posts: 183 Deckhand
    I'm beginner myself and have looking at the Gold Cup. Looking for a 8 9 or 10 wt for the salt. Chief.