KW Offshore Grad Gift... 13 Jun 12

I had the opportunity to run offshore with a father/daughter team to go catch Dolphin on Dream Catchers 32' Yellowfin Wen and had a blast! The trip was originally scheduled to go on Tuesday, but Capt Steve and I discussed it and decided if the pair could fish Wend it would be much better. Fortunately, their schedule allowed for the shift and it was set.

This report will have a little bit of fishing info, but more than anything else, I want to address my angler and her family. I felt privileged to be part of "their day" on the water.

All too often we see kids graduating from High School, not really knowing what they want to do with the rest of their lives...just looking forward for a chance to go "party" in some exotic locale with their friends.

Not Lindsey.

She just graduated from High School in Tallahassee and received a scholarship to the U of F and is planning a double major (I won't go into much of her personal plans, but I'm glad she shared them with me). She could have done anything she wanted as a grad gift from her parents.

She wanted to go offshore fishing with her father. So plans were made and they ended up here in Key West with a trip scheduled with Dream Catcher. Mom was at the dock when we left, and had considered going, but decided not to because of sea sickness concerns and not wanting to ruin Lindsey's trip.

We headed offshore and had a blast. Mike (her Dad) had spent some time in the Army, so we had a good time picking on each other’s chosen service, discussing the Navy here in Key West, etc.... focus was on Lindsey, and keeping her busy catching....

While not as big of a 1st Dolphin as I had hoped, here is Lindsey with her 1st...

Lindsey%20Meeks%201st%20Dolphin.jpg

As we chased birds, ran weeds, chased Tuna and talked, I have no doubt that the future of our sport will remain alive and well in Lindsey's hands....

Lindsey%20Meeks%20Reeling.jpg

With the Key West Gator Club Dolphin Derby coming up, I had the chance to explain it and the Gator Alum involvement and told her that when the time comes I'll make sure she gets on a boat for the event. So any of you that plan on fishing it next year, or the years to come, I might reach out to you on her behalf. :wink

For those of you going to school at UF....watch out...she's sharp as a tack and focused.

Now for some fishing stuff: Current has lightened up some. We found schoolies in 725' on the way out (lots of them) and even were able to stop the boat and get the school to the boat. After playing around with them and assuring dinner was in the boat, we moved along to look for something bigger.

Got out as deep as 2400', but most the activity was in 725-900', so we came back in to chase Tuna and catch more dolphin. As the day got later, I came into 600' and found birds and a couple of Frigates working some weeds. Set-up for the troll and caught more schoolies. Had a Sail whack at a bait, but he missed and moved along. Called it a day and headed in to clean fish.

At the dock, Lindsey was able to hand-feed the tarpon, but mom has those pics on her camera. Most the pics that we took offshore were on Lindsey's phone or Mike's camera. If I get any of those, I'll add them here.

All in all, a special trip that I'm glad I got to participate in.

Catch'em Up!
Rob
www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.

Replies

• jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Nice. It's good to see young people headed the right direction. Thanks for sharing.
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    Great stuff!
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    jakedge wrote: »
    Nice. It's good to see young people headed the right direction. Thanks for sharing.

x2
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    good on ya.. nice day when it comes together.
  • urbanRenewalurbanRenewal Posts: 395 Officer
    This report gave me a serious case of missing Kelly, my daughter and awesome fishing buddy. Thanks for sharing.
    Capt. Tom Urban, "urbanRenewal", Cudjoe Key, FL www.LooeKeyReefAdventures.com
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    Too often we get hung up on what we catch when, that's not really why we fish at all. It really about the time together with family and friends. Thanks for the reminder of what's important Rob.
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Its very cool to read reports like this. Nice work.
  • The MidgeThe Midge Posts: 473 Deckhand
    Have a 3 year old that loves to go on the boat with me. Nothing is more funny than watching her reel a pinfish up to the top eye on the pole!! Love it. I can only hope that she continues to want to do these things with me and ask for a gift like this when she is exiting high school. Excellent post! Love it!
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup
    Capt Bill
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    The Midge wrote: »
    Have a 3 year old that loves to go on the boat with me. Nothing is more funny than watching her reel a pinfish up to the top eye on the pole!! Love it. I can only hope that she continues to want to do these things with me and ask for a gift like this when she is exiting high school. Excellent post! Love it!

I watched this exact thing when my 3 yr old cousin caught her very first fish last week, a little grunt off the dock. I've never seen a little kid reel as fast as she was. The smile that followed is what brings us all to these forums. Great story, great day! Tight lines to all! (P.S. GO HEAT!)
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • ReelDealReelDeal Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Peanuts are a great first, especially on light tackle. Way to go!!! Nice job putting someone on fish for the first time.
    www.jamaica.com.co . We have a lovely vacation rental Country Club Townhouse. We book for various fishing charters on Island.