leader stretcher?

tj5485tj5485 Posts: 139 Officer
A thing of the past? Thoughts?

Replies

• DowntownNashDowntownNash Posts: 182 Officer
    You shouldn't NEED to straighten heavy butt or midsections. Run it though your fingers a couple times. Occasionally I do like to straighten my 6 lb tippet with something cloth. For this my shirt works like a charm.
    signature.png
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Most all the guys I know who used to use them do not anymore. I actually have 2 from the day that look like fine furniture.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,107 Captain
    Pretty much what Sparse said... In the days when we all used heavy mono they were an absolute necessity. With the advent of fluorocarbon for shock tippets (particularly when mated to Mason hard leader...) you can tie up any leader then hang the fly on a fixed point and in moments remove any curl just by pulling the rig tight and holding it there for a few seconds... Stretchers just aren't needed any more (and you won't have the hassle of fly hooks rusting, fly materials fading, etc).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Agree with all said so far, but what do y'all do to store the flies/tippets that you might use on a given day? I still use my stretcher for that purpose. I used to build a killer stretcher, capable of handling about 24 tippets. (12 per side) I intend on building another but with just half that capacity. Hopefully this will cover 1) flies lost as well as 2) a selection of different patterns for the day.
    .......Rick