Organizing flies?

tj5485tj5485 Posts: 139 Officer
How do you guys organize all your flies for the home and for the boat? Do you keep all your flies in one box? Do you have different boxes for different patterns or different species being targeted? Im just getting into the fly fishing and I have already accumulated a ton of flies. Just wondering how you guys organize them. Do you recommend any fly boxes over others?

Replies

• ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,052 Officer
    A box for reds, a box for snook, a small wading box for beach snook, and a tarpon stretcher. The redfish box has mostly weighted flies, the snook box has mostly baitfish streamers, topwater sliders and EP flies. On all fly trips the redfish and snook boxes goes with me.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • tj5485tj5485 Posts: 139 Officer
    I have 2 boxes as we speak and they are already over stuffed. I figured the best option would be to get a box for every species for the most part
  • butterflyjiggerbutterflyjigger Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I have all of my flies on a cork board organized by type (Polar Minnow, Clouser, EP, etc.). Then when I go fishing I grab the ones I need depending on the trip and put them in a box.
  • tj5485tj5485 Posts: 139 Officer
    I have all of my flies on a cork board organized by type (Polar Minnow, Clouser, EP, etc.). Then when I go fishing I grab the ones I need depending on the trip and put them in a box.

I like that idea. Very cool
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    I have bonefish/permit flies for Mexico in one smallish box (the flies are generally smaller); flies for the Keys in another. Then 5 bigger boxes where I store unused flies for all areas of the world. The 5 boxes are divided into 1) billfish; 2) general streamers; 3) tarpon; 4) bonefish/permit; and 5) poppers (other than billfish)

My trout flies are similarly divided in to areas of the country....mayflies and other patterns for the East; stoneflies and caddis and mayfly patterns for the West. I then mix and match for wherever I am going and put them into smaller boxes for the trip.

BTW, my smaller boxes have ripple foam in them, but for prolonged storage, I prefer them loose or in plastic sleeves/envelopes. They seem to stay in better condition this way.
    .......Rick
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,324 Captain
    tj5485 wrote: »
    How do you guys organize all your flies for the home and for the boat? Do you keep all your flies in one box? Do you have different boxes for different patterns or different species being targeted? Im just getting into the fly fishing and I have already accumulated a ton of flies. Just wondering how you guys organize them. Do you recommend any fly boxes over others?

I have a pair of the Cliff's **** beasts that I use to stockpile patterns that for one reason or another have found their way out of my rotation. For daily stuff use the C&F grand slam boxes with the clear tops.
  • clampmanclampman Posts: 130 Deckhand
    Thanks for the tip. I need some good boxes too and those both look very good.

Cheers,
    Jim