Home Conservation Forums

Bowfishing Regulations?

JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,652 Captain
I just finished searching the FWC site and couldn't find much on Bowfishing. I'm trying to figure out what species are legal to take on fresh and saltwater. I'm mainly intrested in shooting mullet in brackish water. Any help appreciated.
One president put a man on the moon.
Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    You can't shoot "game" fish in salt OR freshwater. So no reds, trout, bass, etc. Mullet are legal, so are gar (not alligator gar), catfish, etc.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,604 Captain
    The info above is correct but the regs for fresh water bowfishing vary from county to county and can also vary from Lake to Lake. For example fresh water bowfishing is illegal in all of Miami Dade County.
    Giimoozaabi
  • chucks21capehorn+chucks21capehorn+ Posts: 518 Officer
    Seemed like senseless killing to me by the time you get close enough for a shot it wasn't very sporting....
  • FCHCFCHC Posts: 207 Officer
    Spearfishing regulations work for bowfishing in SW.... for FW it has to be a NON-Gamefish that allows harvest methods other than hook and line. i put together all of the species fresh & salt i am allowed to bowhunt / GIG. i can send u a copy if you like. it took some time getting all the info and putting it together.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Seemed like senseless killing to me by the time you get close enough for a shot it wasn't very sporting....

Hey Chuck if you're a good shot you don't have to be all that close! Takes a ton of skill to consistently make those shots in varying depths. It's hard. As far as "senseless killing" there are certain invasives like Nile Perch and Tilapia that are simply destroying many bodies of water and NEED to be removed in the quickest way possible!
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    is it legal to bow fish off piers as long as there is no one around me. i go to a few local piers and get sting rays and would like to bow fish for them i think it would be fun
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,652 Captain

You've obviously never bowfished. Getting close is easier said than done.

Thanks for the help y'all. Been at it for 3 weeks. Every trip is a learning experience at this point, but having a blast.

FCHC - about send u a IM.
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.