Blue Marlin Cove, West End, Bahamas

Cajun MartyniCajun Martyni Posts: 57 Deckhand
Thinking about going by boat with the family in August. Anyone have any feedback on the place, unit recommendations, etc? It seems a bit strange that the units come without any kitchen utensils. How does that work out and are they otherwise fairly well-equipped and in good shape (units and marina)? Also, is the marina secure? Thanks.

Replies

• Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,897 Admin
    My last visit was last June for a week long tournament aboard the F/V Bloodstream. Day one of the tournament the vessel (33 CC with trip 300s) was stolen under the watch of their security guard, video tape security and chains across the entrance. They would not let us view the security tapes. I would not stay there again.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey

• 2amigo2amigo Posts: 4,614 Captain
    Also bring your sheets for your bed and towels and wash clothes (and soap) for showering. Not what it used to be when it first opened. For the same money stay at Old Bahama Bay at West End. One of the nicest places to stay in the Bahamas. Offering a deal right now, 3 nights, 4th night free. Or stay at Bootle Bay which is on the same canal as BMC for a bargain rate. Fantastic service, Norman will watch your boat all night, clean simple rooms. Good food too. So far since BMC has opened I believe 4 boats have been stolen from there. (or 3, I am not sure)
  • Cajun MartyniCajun Martyni Posts: 57 Deckhand
    Ouch! Glad I asked!! Thanks.
  • Old Man in the SeaOld Man in the Sea Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I am one of Blue Marlin Cove owners so I thought I would tell our side.

There was indeed one boat theft at Blue Marlin Cove...in 2010. The boat was stolen at high tide and driven over the chains that are used to secure the mouth of the marina. The other marinas do not have chains to provide security and the chain was raised after this incident. The incident was quite blatant. The criminals targeted only that boat. The vessel was owned by Team Blood Stream and was part of a long litigation by the owners against Contender. If you google the term "Team Blood Stream contender" you will see many threads discussing the problems with the boat prior to the theft of it.

The guard tried to stop the theft but could not. The police were called and they arrived too late to do anything. The boat was recovered very quickly intact within a day.

There have been other boat thefts over the years on the West End including Old Bahama Bay. However it seems people assume all such thefts are at BMC. They are not.

The CCTV video of the theft was turned over to the police as required by Bahamian Law. They decided who saw the video and who did not.

BTW this Facebook page track thefts in the Bahamas. The last boat theft in the area was at Old Bahama Bay on June 7, 2011.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/Boat.theft.information

Noel Curry
    Stolen vessel report received for a 33ft Grady White Express named “ISLANDER” with two 250 hp Yamaha outboards. The vessel was reportedly stolen around 0200 on the 6.6.11 from Old Bahama Bay in Grand Bahama. FL 8047NA. If seen please call any Police Station or 911, 919, 346-6444, 352-8224

Are boat thefts a risk in the Bahamas. Absolutely... just as they are in Florida or any other place where people and boats mix. It kind of goes with the territory. Risks are present in every activity we in which we engage. That is why we carry PFDs and prepare for foreseeable risks. That said if you take reasonable precautions with your boat you can have a safe and fun time in the Bahamas. I can assure that BMC takes your vessel safety and your recreational time seriously. We want you to have a great time.

As to the OP utensils are available upon request. They are not stocked in the rooms simply because most guests did not use them.

Sheets, towels and soap, despite what other say are provided. The rate quoted includes all taxes so when comparing rates be sure to ask what taxes are not included.

Also all of our units are two bedroom units, not single rooms.

In addition to free Wifi, a game room and a great patio you will find our accommodations quite comfortable.

If you have any complaints please feel free to contact us by phone or email me.

Thanks!
  • poolmanpoolman Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    I gotta say guys that I have stayed at OBB and BMC.And in my opinion,BMC was much larger and had everything but utensils.The base price was higher,but when you started tallying up everything,for the significantly smaller single room with bare minimum,it wasn't such a deal.I'm trying to back over before the end of summer and wouldn't hesitate to go to BMC.
  • SFKSFK Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    I have also stay there a number of times and had no issues at all. I even tested the security guard a number of times in the middle of the night and i was not on a dock for more second before he or she was standing next to me. Of all the place that I have stay in the Bahamas, BMC has a good value for what you get and also has the best secure dockage that i have seen. Boats are stolen out of every marina in the Bahamas even the small islands. But no one has gone the extra mile to install cameras and also chain fences to stop or deter someone from stealing your boat. I will be there later in Aug and have less concern and will sleep better at BMC knowing that they have to work at it to get the boat. Not just untie it like most other places.
    Thanks to the more recent posters. Like Dr. Phil says, "No matter how thin a pancake is, there's always another side." Leaving aside the boat security issue, the lack of any kitchen utensils is also a major "turn off" to us. I am not taking my wife and kids to the Bahamas to get massages or to spend the day lounging by the pool. If we're there and the weather is decent, they'll want to be on the boat either fishing, snorkling, hunting for lobsters or looking around. When we come in we want a safe, secure and comfortable place to clean up, eat and sleep. The main factors in "comfortable" are good a/c and hot water, clean towels and sheets and decent facilities for cooking (to the extent that we want to cook a couple of meals, in). How does the cooking and eating part work if you need to bring your own pots, pans, plates, glasses, silverware, knives and other utensils? I mentioned this to my wife and she wasn't too impressed.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,312 Officer
    You could try reading the BMC post in its entirety. Cooking utensils are available if you ask for them. They don't stock them in the rooms because most people don't use them; plus I would bet that a good number of utensils find their way back to FL. Having good friends who owned a resort, I know that pots and pans, coffee cups, etc. are a continuing expense because guests have sticky fingers.
    When you call Marvin 242-349-4101 or email him to make your reservations simply request utensils and the room will be stocked with utensils (flatware, pots and pans) when you get there. It is that simple.

You can bring your own utensils if you wish, but they are available there.

There are also BBQ pits and an outside commercial kitchen at the cabana for your use at no charge. The cabana kitchen is included in the amenities just as the game room for the kids is also included in the room cost. These are amenities that are not available at other places on the West End.

You can also ask the restaurant to cook your catch for you to give your wife a break. If you ask the restaurant to cook your catch there is obviously a reasonable charge (like a corking fee) but it is also convenient (and if you are like me and cannot cook it tastes much better.:) )

BMC is geared towards fishermen and if there is something you do not see or are not sure about simply ask Marvin and he will help you. As I said if you are not satisfied or disappointed simply email or call me.
    fish_stix wrote: »
    You could try reading the BMC post in its entirety. Cooking utensils are available if you ask for them. They don't stock them in the rooms because most people don't use them; plus I would bet that a good number of utensils find their way back to FL. Having good friends who owned a resort, I know that pots and pans, coffee cups, etc. are a continuing expense because guests have sticky fingers.

fish_stix- At the risk of sounding like I'm making a testy response to a curt post, when I called BMC this past Sunday afternoon Marvin was out and the woman who was answering the phone told me that the units did NOT come with any kitchen utensils. I didn't ask. She volunteered this information.
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,760 Admin
    I was at Blue Marlin this weekend, you'd have trouble finding a better place for your family.
  • magnum06magnum06 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I also was at BMC this weekend. Already planning my next rip back. If you are hung up on no utensils, I dont know what to tell you. But if you want a to stay in a beautiful place with top notch staff (Marvin and Shannon) then BMC is the place. Last summer was our first time there and have been hooked since!! You wont be sorry.
  • Island STyleIsland STyle Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    BMC is a nice place stayed for a few days the end of May. Rooms are clean and the AC blows cold. The pool and spa was nice at the end of the day. We are planning another trip next month...Marvin and his family are top notch!!!
  • PhinaticalPhinatical Posts: 864 Officer
    I wouldn't be hung up on utensils but just perusing the website and copied this from one of their pages:
    The units are furnished differently but normally have a queen sized bed and 2 full sized beds, full kitchens (utensils are not provided) and all appliances including a plasma TV with cable, refrigerator, microwave oven, icemaker and washer & dryer.
  • mfermfer Posts: 40 Deckhand
    I have stayed at both Blue Marlin and Bootle Bay. If you are use to nice and newer go with BMC,if you don't mind a slightly older facility Bootle Bay is fine. In my experience, there seems to be more peolple at Bootle Bay on a regular basis. I left all my gear except my electric reels at both properties and had no problems. BMC gave free ice with stay at one point but I don't believe anymore. Enjoy your trip and be safe.
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    BMC is a nice place stayed for a few days the end of May. Rooms are clean and the AC blows cold. The pool and spa was nice at the end of the day. We are planning another trip next month...Marvin and his family are top notch!!!

How much did you pay a night to stay there? Some friend of mine went on July 1-4 and had to pay 400.00 a night with 4 people in the room..I never heard anything higher that 350.00 and heard of a few others paying as low as 250.00 a night.. I stay at bootle Vida and Ninja are always good to me..
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • TrollaltdeleteTrollaltdelete Posts: 660 Officer
    I cannot comment about BMC but I can assure you that you will not find better people than Vida and LaShonda at Bootle Bay

Actual service in the Bahamas
    Take out your boat, make a memory!
    GT Fish wrote: »
    How much did you pay a night to stay there? Some friend of mine went on July 1-4 and had to pay 400.00 a night with 4 people in the room..I never heard anything higher that 350.00 and heard of a few others paying as low as 250.00 a night.. I stay at bootle Vida and Ninja are always good to me..

The rate is $250 per night for a two bedroom unit and $100 per night for the slip. That includes all applicable taxes and fees as well as power and water in the marina which are normally quoted separately.

On the 4th of July Holiday Weekend the rate does go up as it does at many places but only due to the festivities and only for that weekend.

Edited to add:
    Here is a link to the Facebook page for Bahamas boat theft.
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/Boat.theft.information
    It is current on that issue.
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 576 Officer
    I have stayed at both Bootle Bay and BMC. BMC is newer with more amenities. Nothing wrong with Bootle Bay especially if you are trying to keep the cost down some. Great staff at both.
  • KHGOINGOFFKHGOINGOFF Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    I have been to BMC at least 20 times since they opened and I dont think you can find a nicer place.Yes some things have changed since they opened. People had to take advantage of the situation and ruin it for every one. It used to be free drinks and soda until alot of people started filling up their 5 gallon buckets and taking it to their boat cooler, as well as silverware. As for a boat being stolen, boats get stolen everywhere. In all of the Bahamas precaution like taking your keys out and shutting your switches is necessary. Otherwise, its like asking somebody to steal your boat. The rooms are clean, cold and what ever you need they try to accommadate. Especially with the amount of space in each unit the price is quite fair. Great dockage. Family and fisherman friendly.