Home Photography Corner

camera/lens advice?

JWTJWT Posts: 784 Officer
hello all, my first post up here.

Several months ago I was gifted a Canon T3. Very entry level DSLR but it has really changed the way I look at taking pictures. i now want to upgrade & learn more about the photography side of things! i fish inshore & backcountry so taking something along that can take good images of the different scenes & wildlife along with the fishing action shots is my goal. i sense that this is kind of like fly fishing, once you start down this road there is a seemingly endless need for "more stuff"! i know this is only the beginning!

i am looking at the Canon 60D with a 24-105L lens for all around use.........
thoughts on this combo or recommendations for a better value for the $?

any words of wisdom for a beginner would be sincerely appreciated!

thanks/Jeff

Replies

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    You might PM Mississippi Mac he seems to be the resident Canon guru.

And, you are correct about "more stuff" to get.

One all around lens I see a lot of Canonites carry in the birding field, and that is not too bloody expensive is a 300 f4 - something you should seriously consider. I will back off now and let the Canonites reply.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Jeff
    JWT wrote: »
    hello all, my first post up here.

Several months ago I was gifted a Canon T3. Very entry level DSLR but it has really changed the way I look at taking pictures. i now want to upgrade & learn more about the photography side of things! i fish inshore & backcountry so taking something along that can take good images of the different scenes & wildlife along with the fishing action shots is my goal. i sense that this is kind of like fly fishing, once you start down this road there is a seemingly endless need for "more stuff"! i know this is only the beginning!

i am looking at the Canon 60D with a 24-105L lens for all around use.........
    thoughts on this combo or recommendations for a better value for the $?

any words of wisdom for a beginner would be sincerely appreciated!

thanks/Jeff

there's nothing wrong with your t3...it'll do more than you will probably use...
    i still have my old canon xti and use it almost as much as my 40d...

but if you're set on a new body...save yourself the embarrassment of the 60d (and the money) and go for the 7d....
    with the t3 you can capture some stellar images with good glass....
    for wild life buy a ef 100-400 L IS USM...very, very good piece of glass and can be had used, in excellent condition for around $1000 from keh...
    the ef 70-300 IS USM will also surprise you and run about $700 new...
    Also the EF 24-135 IS USM will surprise you and they are very inexpensive....

Indeed you are correct, it's like fly fishing, ask me how i know...LOL.....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    At least the nice thing when you buy quality high end canon stuff you can pretty much sell it for almost what you paid for it.L series stuff holds value for years even decades. if I was going to do backcountry id wanna do wider than a 24. There is something about having a super wide angle but not a fisheye for landscape shots if done right.
  • JWTJWT Posts: 784 Officer
    Thanks for the responses. I didn't want the deal to slip away so yesterday evening i went ahead & pulled the trigger. got it at a good enough price that i picked up a 70-300 IS USM on my way home! I haven't really had any time to play with it yet. it's not the 7D but it was a good deal!

another question............ (let me know when i have used my limit:)) editing software..... not looking to go pro, just what do most people use?

really appreciate the info here

Jeff
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    I think adobe lightroom is the way to go lately for ppl that just need to edit photos and not need all the over complicated addons you get with adobe CSx. I have CS2 and I really dont use it for much more than a little adjustment at times and just resize.

I will say check out fredmiranda.com Its probably one of the largest photo forums around and the classifieds section is awesome, just keep an eye out cause it moves fast.
  • bmarkeybmarkey Posts: 319 Deckhand
    I would have suggested you sink your money into more and better lenses. The T3 is absolutely fine, unless you plan to become a nighttime or indoor sports photographer.

The 60D is nice but not a tremendous amount better than the T3.

I would suggest you consider: a nice 17-40 / 16-35 size lens, preferably one that opens up to at least F/4 and maybe F/2.8; a 300 F/4 ($1,500 or so or $1,000 or so used), and the best lens ever, the 70-200 F/2.8L (non-IS, IS or the new version); a monopod and tripod; and maybe a 580 or 430 Speedlight.

If you know where to look, you can find very nice used equipment at great prices. I recently bought a like-new MKIIn from a studio photographer. It's my new sports machine now.

I learn a lot on FredMiranda.com, as well as dpreview.com. Sometimes you have to wade through the crap and arguments.

As a longtime Canon shooter, I would be happy to answer any questions.

Bob Markey
    United Realty Group
    www.WellingtonHomes.com
    Sport, Event & Real Estate Photography
    Palms West Photo
    www.MarkeySportsPhoto.com
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Jeff,
    Bob Markey is right.....
    take the 60d back, buy good glass, and when you can, buy the 7d....
    canon screwed up so bad when they introduced the 60d....
    it's not any better than your t3, nor will it offer any better image captures....
    in essence, they turned the 60d into a high dollar "entry camera" with a crappy build...
    I can nail just as good an image with good glass with my 40d as you'll ever get from the 60d....
    am i passionate about my distaste in the direction canon went with 60d????
    yup....

had they continued to build it with a magnesium body, weather proof it, and make it intuitive to use, i'd be the first to have one (naahh, i save a couple more dollars and buy the 7d...).....
    hate to rain on your parade, but i see the 60d going away really fast....

now i'll get off my selfrighteous soap box...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • JWTJWT Posts: 784 Officer
    Aah well, looks like i should have waited! but i had already promised the T3 to my daughter when I was going to upgrade. She "needed" a camera for her art work, so i was looking to upgrade!!! . (got to talk to her about the difference between needs & wants............just as soon as i figure it out!) I ran across the 60D used with a lens & it was priced right.
    really appreciate the info about the lens being the key to good shots. now i need to spend some time to use things to make sense of all this info.

i really appreciate all the info, this has been very helpful so far!

BTW - is it just a coincidence that i am seeing an add for a the 60D on this thread??
  • NicoleJNicoleJ Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I think it is good if you get a good action camera with adjustable lens and I guess Canon or Sony offer good prices of action camera and also look for a good model.
  • bmarkeybmarkey Posts: 319 Deckhand
    There are a lot of god used 1D series bodies out there for sale now. The 1D Mark II can be had for well under $1,000 and the 1D Mark III for just over $1,000. Once you shot with one of these built-like-a-tank, blazing fast cameras, going back to a non-1 series body would be like going from a Porsche to a Corolla.

Bob Markey
    United Realty Group
    www.WellingtonHomes.com
    Sport, Event & Real Estate Photography
    Palms West Photo
    www.MarkeySportsPhoto.com