Islamorada Reef Fishing Advice

Im coming down June 8th and just looking for a little bit of advice or tips on the reef fishing in the islamorada area. Im just looking to catch anything that pulls nothing special. any advice on the patch reefs out there?

Replies

• plasteredplastered Posts: 139 Deckhand
    Fish north of eagle wreck in 65 ft for yellowtail or by alligator light 90 to 65 also
    cut the fins off a tail and send down to the bottom and hold on for that big grouper
  • ZecuraZecura Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Go to Hens & Chickens just off shore from Holiday Isles or whatever it's called now.

From Hens & Chickens head directly off shore to 75' of water.

Locate good structure or just line up with the fleet.

Anchor and make sure you are using a rock/reef anchor please.

Deploy chum bag.

Start off using 12# gear and flatline with nothing but a small hook (1/0 size) and some nice belly meat from a cuda, bonito, runner etc. Don't over do it on the bait size just something 2 to 3 times longer than the hook and cut the bait in a strip shape.

Flatline/freeline back into the chum not allowing the line to become tight as you want the bait to flow away from the boat in the chum.

If the bait makes it back a hundred yards or so, retreve it and start again. If bites are hard to come by, drop down to 8# and use a smaller hook.

Current is your friend. No current, then head along the reef toward the Alligator light a couple of miles and try again.

If you want to fish for something else, bring a wire line and troll up and down the reef from a hundred feet to about 60 feet. Drag a Drone spoon or Iilander over Ballihoo. You should get killed by big Bonitos and Cudas. If luck is your lady that day, there are some nice Kings hanging around.

Last easy tip would be to get some live Pilchards the night before or early that morning and head out to 300' feet. Put a couple of them on 4 ounce egg sinkers and drop them down and a couple of them flatlined. Drop a chum bag over the side and do a slow, easy bump troll back into 100'. The Peanut Dolphin will be all over you in no time and you may get lucky with some schoolies.

Good luck. Been doing exactly what I'm telling you for years and the tactics work.
    I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet.

This too shall pass.
  • jsimpsonjsimpson Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    guys i appreciate all the help. i just want to get out there and get the lines wet. thanks again and if anything else pops in your head and would help please let me know. you guys know any bait spots around long key by any chance?
  • ZecuraZecura Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Long Key no but the Gulf and ocean side grass flats will hold Pilchards at dawn & dusk.
    I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet.

This too shall pass.
  • jsimpsonjsimpson Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    what is the best depth to be looking for the mangos?
  • ThumpThump Posts: 189 Deckhand
    jsimpson wrote: »
    what is the best depth to be looking for the mangos?

This time of year they should be all over the reefline. Fish for them just like the yellowtails and have a couple of knocker rigs tied on to catch them on the bottom. It is automatic at night on the full moon (Right now)...