Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Looking for someone to make a pair of 78 gal fiberglass fuel tanks

If you know of anyone who makes fiberglass fuel tanks in the Jax area, please post or PM me their contact details. I need someone who has experience making fuel tanks. I already sent in a quote request to T & T Fiberglass, but would like to know of other options.

Mine are rectangular in shape. Dimensions are 10 1/2" x 26" x 69". Capacity is 78 gallons, but will be reduced some by the extra thickness needed for FG. 3/8" fuel feed and return lines, 1-1/2" fuel fill. These are for diesel, but should be able to resist ethanol, in the event that our brilliant govt. decides to enact a new law for the future of diesel.

thanks!

Replies

• The Sea FoxThe Sea Fox Senior Member Posts: 146 Deckhand
    I would suggest you call Gary Cowan @ 254-7266 and talk to him about what you're looking for.
  • cloud9cloud9 Member Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Well apparently, since many FG tanks started having problems after we got ethanol added to our gas, it is very difficult to find anybody to make them now. For gas, there are liability concerns, warranty concerns, testing for USCG certification, etc. And since the majority of the vessels out there are gas engines, that doesn't leave much of a market for the manufacture of FG tanks ... even though there are higher quality resins available which stand up to ethanol.
    My alum tanks had pitting from both the inside and outside. One of them had 3 holes. I'll be **** if I'm going to pay $900 for another alum tank that's only gonna have the same problem 10 years later. I could not find a large enough plastic tank on the internet. Seems like they max out at around 45-50 gals. Since my boat is diesel, FG is the best solution for me. Still looking. Maybe I'll have to make them myself.