Biggest Tuna caught last weekend

This was the largest tuna caught out of the group that went out of Dania Beach last Memorial weekend. I am proud of this fish as it is the biggest BFT I have ever caught. Thank you for the help Randy!! It was appreciated.

Replies

• JimmytalkJimmytalk Posts: 587 Officer
    Awesome. How long did it tskr to land? Also..about hoe far offshore arr u in the pic.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  • JimmytalkJimmytalk Posts: 587 Officer
    How far...stupid fat fingers of mine.

Ive wanted to go offshore with my yak but have not yet.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 589 Officer
    It took prob 5 minutes or less to reel in. Being I had lost some fish the weekend before I didn't wanna take any chances. So the guy that was closest (Randy) gave me a hand. Which I do thank again for the help. He sunk the gaff and made sure he wasn't getting away this time. He also caught a nice BFT as well right before I caught mine. I would of posted a pic of it but the shot came out crappy. Sry randy....
  • HookedHooked Posts: 391 Officer
    Grats on that Big Fat Tuna
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    NICE BFT!!! If you don't mind me asking, what type of jog were you using? Also what is your go-to jig combo?

Thanks (new to jiggin!)
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    Well out there it varies. I think it is mostly color and speed. Pink was hot last weekend. I also think I was in the right place at the right time. So grab yourself about 10 jigs of different colors and styles and go at it. I would say from 150g to 300g would be suffice. Watch how your line comes off the spool as I got mine on the drop. If you see your line all of a sudden take off faster then norm then flip the bail and see if there is something on there. Just watch your fingers as braid will slice right into your fingers. You can try williamson,shimano or maybe something you see online. Now revealing my go to jig is confidential. That part you'll have to learn on your own. But I will tell you the weight is 150g. Good luck out there.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    :thumbsupNice tuna. There have been some nice ones this year.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Yes Sir this fish was huge. Good job. :USA
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    We were in about 240-250 feet when the big tuna hit as I recall, which is a little over 2 miles from the beach. I was about 50 yards further east than the rest of the group when the school hit and I sat there like an idiot jigging my heart out while 6 other people were all hooked up within about 10 minutes of each other. My only consolation was that a couple of the hookups were bonitos while I was unhit.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
    I think I was a bit north of you guys. Bonnies are btr then jigging your heart out and not getting anything. Some days are like that. I went through a lot of those days. Still do...but it is getting better.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Thank you sir! I've had luck with the small vortex jigs from williamson. This weekend all my bites came off the offshore angler jigs (green mackeral color)

Tight lines!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback