What do you use or have invented for sun shade when anchored (center console)

RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,397 Officer
Anchored at the beach on one of the inlets this weekend and
the sun was killing us. Started looking at the top of my center console trying to invent ways of
making some type of shade cover. Looked in the net but do not like those contraptions that you have to
attach tubes and pipes that are permanently fixed to the top and serve as extenders.
H

Replies

• ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Rod holder and an outdoor umbrella makes some temporary shade in a pinch.
    I took one for the team and let my sister bring her rainbow colored umbrella
    when I took her and my 3 yr old niece to the sandbar this past weekend.

photo-3.jpg?t=1338469117
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    do you have outriggers?
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    Rod holder and an outdoor umbrella makes some temporary shade in a pinch.
    I took one for the team and let my sister bring her rainbow colored umbrella
    when I took her and my 3 yr old niece to the sandbar this past weekend.

photo-3.jpg?t=1338469117

Yep - I see people do this all the time up here in Jax during the dog days of summer. I had a bimini top on my last boat that stayed folded down and oput of the way unless I needed it. Saved my scalp on many a scorcher afternoon. Now I just have a t-top that provides some refuge when needed. Not sure how much biminis cost but imagine they are worth it if you plan on doing any regular fishing June-October.
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,397 Officer
    I have a T-Top which makes positioning an umbrella difficult.
    I installed gunwale TACO mounts recently for outriggers but have not purchased the outriggers yet.........................but I am starting to think how something could be made using the outriggers.
    First grandchild coming soon so planning ahead so they will let her come on the boat :)
  • APEAPE Posts: 973 Officer
    The cheapest and fastest thing that I have used is a tarp and some bungee cords. I now have a large T-top and it works great, on my other boat I use the cheap umbrella's.
  • BCSAILSBCSAILS Posts: 436 Deckhand
    RStyle wrote: »
    Anchored at the beach on one of the inlets this weekend and
    the sun was killing us. Started looking at the top of my center console trying to invent ways of
    making some type of shade cover. Looked in the net but do not like those contraptions that you have to
    attach tubes and pipes that are permanently fixed to the top and serve as extenders.
    H

We have done this for years on our boats for customers wanting more cockpit shade at anchor. You can even run 35mph with them up. Easy to take down and store for fishing....

top.jpg top2.jpg
  • Next LevelNext Level Posts: 2,963 Captain
    Easiest thing is to have a aluminum channel put on your t-top then have a couple of poles in your rear rod holders. The canvas needs grommets to attach to the poles and a thick seem to slide into the channel. Im having one made in July like this after seeing a couple around here. A couple of people said they can run up to 25 knots before it starts flapping from the wind.

Edit: We posted at the same time. The pic above is what i am talking about.
  • Al BundyAl Bundy Posts: 247 Deckhand
    I have one that is almost finished at the canvas shop. I have a Dusky 233 and needed something forward of the T Top. I have two rod holders up front that angle out that I put two telescoping boat hooks. Grommets in the custom measured canvas connect with straps to the boat hooks up front and the TTop on the other side. Used it once before getting some adjustments...very nice for shade. the canvas guys did a good job of putting tension on the boat hooks before measuring the canvas and putting a grommet in the middle of the front section to strap the canvas down keeping the boat hooks from lifting up.

Will post some pics this weekend.
    Thanks Al Bundy
    Would love to see pics
    I have rod holders forward but they angle slightly outward and may not be far forward enough
    Would like to design something for the front since there is more space for people to sit, relax, eat etc.
    I just want to use it when anchored
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    shipshape was running ads for something similar made by sunbrella. it was attached to the t-top only & was u-shaped. they made them for the front or rear or the t-top & you could custom order the material color.
  • tagtag Posts: 8,845 Admiral
    A big floppy hat
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,177 Admiral
    I don't see a bimin on my CC for it to lay and not be in the way. I'd love some thing other than my umbrella that would build off the console railings.
  • Mr. DemeanorMr. Demeanor Posts: 370 Officer
    You need an AnchorEZ. I have one and they are the ticket. Its a screw in sandbar anchor that you can put a table and umbrella on.
    http://anchorez.com/
  • hotrailshotrails Posts: 440 Deckhand
    I suppose depending upon Hull design, my Bow (century 1800) would handle a Dodger.so had local shop here in crystal river make one up, canvas matches bimini , frame work same as bimini, can lay it down or take it off,wife sits under it and reads,dooze.
  • SaltydawgSaltydawg Posts: 1,286 Officer
    I have a 34' sea Vee and had a bimini top made for the front that has a quick disconnect mount. When I'm fishing I take it off and when we go to the sandbar it come with us and I have a couple bean bags I lay beneath it.
  • Al BundyAl Bundy Posts: 247 Deckhand
    Rstyle... this is what I came up with

Up front I used telescoping boat hooks from BOW, $30 each. I got the strongest ones I could find. An important note is that the up front the canvas is attached to the boat hooks with a small loop. With the hooks at this height, any water will flow forward and away from the Ttop. This was also the reason the canvas is attached on the underside of the Ttop instead on top of it.

My canvas guy did a good job of flexing the hooks together before measuring the forward width so that the canvas is under tension. Because of the tension, the hooks are in the rod holders pretty well, but the center grommet lets me strap them down just in case

When rain is not an issue, I can raise the boat hooks a setting or two, and simply use a longer loop to tie the hook to the canvas (The width between the hooks will have increased because they are angled out)

Notice how the canvas is curved on the Ttop side, that made it easier to maintain tension and the keep it at the correct height. the only thing I haven't decided on is what type of straps to use at each grommet. Up front I will probably make some loops with 400lb mono and crimps at the designated length, depending on the hook height. The canvas guy used some string to tie the center grommets to the Ttop, effective but a pain to redo for each trip. I got the nylon straps at Basspro and they seem to work well on each side grommet.

Any suggestions for straps are welcome... The total tally, $60 for the boat hooks, $380 for the canvas and whatever I pay for straps and bungies. Not bad for $440
    Thanks
    Looks great and functional
    Will start planning.....................
  • gatormarkgatormark Posts: 2,240 Officer
    BCSAILS wrote: »
    We have done this for years on our boats for customers wanting more cockpit shade at anchor. You can even run 35mph with them up. Easy to take down and store for fishing....

top.jpg top2.jpg

If I had a t top this would be the way to go. T tops just dont give the shade a good old bimini top does..........period.
  • Next LevelNext Level Posts: 2,963 Captain
    gatormark wrote: »
    If I had a t top this would be the way to go. T tops just dont give the shade a good old bimini top does..........period.
    Sure they do. Just for the driver.:grin
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    HD in the garden dept has a material for shading that lets air thru, comes in a big roll I just cut to fit. Did something very close to Al Bundy, the air flow is nice and the wind doesn't effect it as much as a solid material. I attach it to the T top with the velcro straps from West and made a PVC T for the bow with the alum spring clips
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • TToplessTTopless Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Split Shot wrote: »
    I don't see a bimin on my CC for it to lay and not be in the way. I'd love some thing other than my umbrella that would build off the console railings.
    Split Shot,

Please take a look at our T-Topless and Shadow folding, stainless steel tops that mount on your windshield grab rails. It's less than 30#, installs in less than 2 hours, lowers (or removes) in seconds and is backed by the industry's leading 10-year frame warranty.

Here are some of many customers' boats: http://rnr-marine.com/T-Topless_Pix.shtml#Customer.
    Triton_220LTS_T-Topless_600x300.jpg
    Team-T-Topless-Boat-On-The-Water_600x400.jpg

If cost is a concern, our T-Topless Shadow kit version is the only folding T-Top on the market that costs less than $900!

A stainless steel Bimini with stainless fittings (not cheap plastic) will cost that much or more (if you can even find one with welded fittings on the ends).

You can mount rod holders on both T-Tops and still use the rod holders on the sides of your console.

Thanks for looking ...
    Thank you,
    Captain Ross
    843-303-6928, [email protected] ______ Drop your top and go T-Topless ______
    ... plus OEM Replacement Canvas for Sea Pro, McKee Craft, Sea Hunt, Hydrasports, Scout, Boston Whaler, Grady White, Sea Fox, Cape Horn, Triton, Sea Boss, Sea Ray, Rinker, Palmetto Custom, Mariah and many more boats!
  • roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,545 Captain
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MiamiGirlMiamiGirl Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    check out this shade option. can be taken down and is good up to 50mph http://www.tuuci.com/product/42/tuuci-shade-blade
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    Parking under a bridge works.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bzwaterbzwater Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    I came across this company ; Marine canopy The Element ; https://www.marinecanopy.com/

You can order boat shades , boat tents from they site
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 502 Officer
    White Tilley hat.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 8,744 Admiral
    I need one of those tents. Good thread.
  • Geno67Geno67 Posts: 148 Deckhand
    Cheap bimini from fleabay. Can about replace the whole thing for what new material would cost. The original bimini still works but it's too low to walk under comfortably.
  • Lucky Hook IILucky Hook II Posts: 505 Officer
    I use a T Top Extender when I am at anchor and it works great. You can find videos on Youtube and at T Top Extender .com.
    Capt. Jorge Fernandez
    www.luckyhookcharters.com