North Biscayne Bay trout

seatrout55seatrout55 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
Put in at 79th bridge park at 5:00 today. took the cast net and got some bait from around the gas pumps. I headed south and the action was consistent till 7:00 when I decided to head in. The wind was bad and causing a fairly large chop but i stuck it out. The trout seemed to get bigger and bigger as it got later with my biggest one being a little over 20". here are some pics sorry i don't have more

Replies

• HookedHooked Posts: 391 Officer
    Those are some nice trout. Good job and thanks for sharing too bad you couldnt stay out later.
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    Nice catch. We were out there Sunday and got 3 around 20 inches and one 23-inch trout between 4 people, plus some smaller ones. I'm surprised the bite has stayed pretty good this far into the warm weather.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • seatrout55seatrout55 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    this is my first season down here so I am not familiar with the changes but it has been pretty consistent every time I have been out. I am hoping to go out saturday morning or evening. Sunday morning we are going to Dania Beach.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Looks like you hooked a nice dinner. Nice catch
  • levosgienlevosgien Posts: 164 Officer
    Nice catches, thanks for the report. You have cut-up bait in your kayak, that's what you were using?
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Did you filet that one trout out there on the water? I was wondering the same thing about the cut bait. Occasionally when bottom fishing I'll use small pieces of a grunt to entice the mangos.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    Thats the mullet I caught with the cast net
  • WetFeetWetFeet Posts: 57 Deckhand
    Seatrout 55 I need a little help I just bought a new kayack Frenzy and have been rigging it out and have gone to NBB 4 times with little sucess I have tried artificials and gulps with corks I put in at Morninside and padle to all the islands on the west side of the ICW and have not had any luck.
    Not looking for honeyhole just some general info of thi area tides I am just getting tired of all the padeling I am doing and nothing to show for it, thanks.
  • krashkrash Posts: 648 Officer
    Nice B-Bay Trouts.... def. consistently bigger in N-BBay than S-BBay, and that area is great for kayaks, as is the launch at Morningside.

There used to be a ramp on te oter side of the Bay by the police station, woudl give you easy access to Monument Flats.. als a good Trout Flat. (BugDoc/RDS, maybe you can verify if that launch site is still useable)
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    The trout bite is hit or miss. People don't post reports on the "miss" days, so the fishing is not as good as it appears from this forum. Most days they don't bite well and you just have to be patient. I usually average one keeper on a 4-hour trip, which means getting skunked is not uncommon. This time of year you should be catching little cudas as bycatch, which are fun to catch and tasty too (only the big ones on the reefs have ciguatera). I vary my lures after 30-40 minutes without hits, but still tend to do best with Gulp! shrimp in white or new Penny. Vary your retrieve speed and depth you are fishing. If the pinfish are active it forces a faster retrieve or they chew up all the soft plastics. Troll topwater or subsurface lures at about 2-3 mph. There aren't any actual honeyholes there, all the grassbeds around any of the spoil islands can be productive. Just make sure you are over grassbeds and not on a dead spot. Since there are deep channels, the trout don't stay in skinny water at low tide. I find most of them in water 3-6 feet deep. If you get bored, just troll and you often get surprised with dinner.
    bugdoc

• ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    I'm just curious, how do you eat/cook your small cuda? I've heard of plenty of people who eat them, I just never dared too. Not because of the ciguatera fear, just I never had the thought to do so...
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    I usually just fry or broil it. The raw meat is firmer than most fish, but it flakes nicely when cooked. Since they are skinny, it takes about a 17-18 inch cuda to be worth filleting. I think I made ceviche out of one once too.
    bugdoc

WetFeet wrote: »
    Seatrout 55 I need a little help I just bought a new kayack Frenzy and have been rigging it out and have gone to NBB 4 times with little sucess I have tried artificials and gulps with corks I put in at Morninside and padle to all the islands on the west side of the ICW and have not had any luck.
    Not looking for honeyhole just some general info of thi area tides I am just getting tired of all the padeling I am doing and nothing to show for it, thanks.

Bugdoc is right it changes everyday. I went out the other day and caught quite a few fish but only one that was of any size and didn't post about it because i didn't have any picture and people on the forum love to see pictures. I basically just fish any structure i can find weather it be static or dynamic.