Why you shouldn't buy a diesel boat

rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
I was on the river over the weekend and a group of guys came over to look at my Shamrock. They introduced me to one man as the "Shamrock Guru". He apparently has bought, restored, and sold many Shamrocks and knows everything there is to know about them.

I was listening to him for thirty minutes or more as he began telling me how he had run various Shamrocks in different conditions and which on he liked the best and why.

He finally took a breath and asked what engine I had in my 20' Center console and I told him it was a 100hp Yanmar diesel. He got a sour look on his face and told me he had one with a diesel and would never have another.....

I asked him why and he said, " I was cruising down the intercoastal in my diesel boat and a plastic bag got sucked up into the intake. The diesel ran hot and lock up. I'll never have another one. You need to keep a close eye on yours or the same thing could happen."

I sat there for a couple of seconds, waiting on him to add something to the story but that was it.......:huh
He wished me well and then went on his way......
From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!

Replies

• CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    Hmm. you should have an overheat alarm on the boat. :)
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    I have never ever ran across anyone that overheated their boat or car and admitted to it! ALWAYS the engine was at fault.
    Those gauges are there just for looks.
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Things that make you go...hmmm
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    He didnt say anything about water contamination, expence of fuel,cost of parts, that they all are inboards, or the smell?

Just he sucked up a bag on the ICW and it over heated his engine?

I like your boat, I like it more with the newish yanmar.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    yeah. cause you can never wrap a plastic bag around you lower unit, over the water intakes. Ha
    I wish I had diesels in my boat. It would double my range.
  • 9-Lives9-Lives Posts: 2,118 Captain
    acarb wrote: »
    I have never ever ran across anyone that overheated their boat or car and admitted to it! ALWAYS the engine was at fault.
    Those gauges are there just for looks.

I overheated an outboard once, the alarm didn't go off because a buildup of salt accumulated between the sensor and the block. I blame the motor..... :grin
    marlin_baitball.gif
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    I hate when people have to put down something i am happy with and worked hard to get. I do not let it get to me but it is annoying. I deal with it everynow and then at the gun range......such and such has issues you should have got this because i have it......freaking internet commandos.

As for the guy you dealt with, if he had so many Shamrocks why would he get rid of one that was a great boat for another one that was not as good. I have seen pics of your boat and like the look and looking forward to seeing it when you finish the mods you have planned.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,095 Admiral
    The same thing happend to a friend of mines outboard, a plastic bag wrapped around the lower unit, it overheated and when the alarm went off the piston melted, You should never buy an outboard either.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,982 AG
    rrbgtt wrote: »
    I asked him why and he said, " I was cruising down the intercoastal in my diesel boat and a plastic bag got sucked up into the intake. The diesel ran hot and lock up. I'll never have another one. You need to keep a close eye on yours or the same thing could happen."

What does that have to do with it being a diesel?
    :BUNNY gestapo

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    gandrfab wrote: »
    What does that have to do with it being a diesel?
    Exactly!!!
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 231 Deckhand
    Bingo! The same can happen to any motor, By the way most inboards I have owned have raw water strainers that prevent any suck up of debris. My diesel is an absolute gem I wouldn't trade it for any other motor/ Yanmar 315 turbo. JP
  • Animal1Animal1 Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    I've been around engines and motors all my life...48 yrs...I think a diesel is much easier maintenence than a gas job any day of the week..I think he's BLOWING SMOKE LIKE A LOCOMOTIVE..keep the air filter, fuel filter clean and change the oil and she'll keep chuggin right along..just my 2 cents
  • brightlightsbrightlights Posts: 121 Deckhand
    so you selling your boat or what?
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
    so you selling your boat or what?

I was pretty sure I had to, in light of this info, but luckily I ran across a solution.

I'm going to mount one of these in front of the intake.:thumbsup

rake_sml.jpg
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,095 Admiral
    Ha ha, that should do it!!
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,240 Officer
    Gawd! this thread makes me want to mount a video camera on my transom pointed at my outboard's pee stream.
    Giimoozaabi
  • gitnerdungitnerdun Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Don't most newer diesels have a sensor that slows rpms and sounds alarms in the event of overheating?

He must not have had that on his.
  • I have a single 450C in my 30 foot custom express built by strike. I just turned 5K hours and cruise at 30 knots. How many outboards would I have bought to go 5K hours????? gas inboards? I have been from Jax to San Salvador once and the bahmas 39 times.....
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,770 Captain
    I got overheated once... :banana
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • JimmytalkJimmytalk Posts: 587 Officer
    I once got floating grass wrapped around my lower unit, my engine started to overheat. Ill never own an outboard again.

I use paddles now.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2