Clog in gas tank

nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
2 years ago I had a fuel restriction in my starboard gas tank on my Cat. I found this out by having a shop try to figure out a starting problem with one of my Yamaha F115's. they finally put a vacuum gauge on the fuel line and found it was the problem. They ended up blowing compressed air back through the gas hose to "un clogg" it. This worked for for 2 years, but now the same problem is back.
To get to my tanks I would have to remove the T-top, leaning post and center council. that would be some major work:banghead. I can get to the fuel sending unit by way of an 8 inch round hatch in my deck. The fuel pick up is about 12 inches away from the sender hole, but it is hidden by a baffel plate. Any ideas I how I can clean that screen on the fuel pick up?
T

Replies

• ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why cant you do what they did last time and just blow compressed air in the fuel line again?
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why cant you do what they did last time and just blow compressed air in the fuel line again?

If he blows air down the pick-up tube, that might solve the problem for two more years or maybe just two weeks, who knows. I think he's looking for a permanent fix. But, it's not going to be that easy. If you can't see or access the pick-up screen, the only solution I can see is having the tank pumped and cleaned.
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    If he blows air down the pick-up tube, that might solve the problem for two more years or maybe just two weeks, who knows. I think he's looking for a permanent fix. But, it's not going to be that easy. If you can't see or access the pick-up screen, the only solution I can see is having the tank pumped and cleaned.

exactly.
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    i did blow ait through the line again a couple of weeks ago. It lasted for about a week, then did it again. I'm goin to t replace all the hoses and filters this weekend leading up to the tank.
  • footanklegfootankleg Posts: 513 Officer
    Two ideas: have a mobile guy pump out and filter your fuel tanks. You may need to create a new inspection access over the pickup to clean/replace it
    Cobia 296 F300s J & B
    Hewes 18' RF Y130 Flatfoot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tom FoleyTom Foley Posts: 111 Officer
    Do you have a removable pickup tube or a welded in setup ? If removable have a new tube made using a 3 /8"- 90 deg elbow with a soldered in 1/2" copper tube . This is how I have been making our s for 26 years , no clogging . LMK if you need help .

Marine Specialties Custom Fabricators

http://www.marinespecialties.com/tanks.htm
    35clqbn.jpg

34j4oko.jpg