700+ pound bluefin off Cat last weekend?

captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Officer
Hearing some rumors. Anyone got solid info?

Replies

• alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,661 Captain
    i've heard that there were more than one.

also, can you take them before June 1? is there a reg regarding when the species is closed? dont know, just asking. thanks

***THE GUY IN MY AVATAR IS BLAIR WICKSTROM***

• Off The WallOff The Wall Posts: 35 Deckhand
    I think they have weighted 9 in Cat over the past week. One for sure yesterday and the day before.
    I think they have weighted 9 in Cat over the past week. One for sure yesterday and the day before.

that's remarkable. that's more than most year, i believe.

• CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,770 Captain
    Saw somebody that direction baiting a pod don't think they got a shot tho... Even couple guys stationed in their towers here outside the cut at bimini...
  • TwotallTwotall Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    Three fish were caught over the weekend from 500# to this one of 650#.All off Cat Cay.Not bad for a really crazy weekend.
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Wow...thats a solid Bluefin...nice job, skills for sure!!!!
  • Crush N RunCrush N Run Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Solid Fish....

Hope they are there Friday....
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    Cat Cay or Cat Island?
  • fishfanatticfishfanattic Posts: 90 Deckhand
    wow, thats nice
  • Pesca Pimp PanamaPesca Pimp Panama Posts: 172 Officer
    Good Lord! Awesome!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Capt. Shane Jarvis
    Sport Fish Panama Island Lodge
    Isla Paridas, Panama
    www.FishPanamaToday.com
  • snooknUSMCsnooknUSMC Posts: 113 Officer
    ****.. That's a Big boy
  • IshIsh Posts: 797 Officer
    That's one good looking fish !!!!
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,723 Captain
    Nothing in fishing impresses me more than the guys that catch Bluefin off the Bahama Bank. Degree of difficulty, size of the fish, strength of the fish, it's ALL over the top. Congrats to the guys that do it. Ya'll are BAD MEN!!!
    cat cay, south of bimini.

agree with Intrepid377, it is impressive and need to have a ton of patience and discipline.

I'm here in Bimini now and the Bulefin hunters are out. Some monsters have been lost right at the boat this week.
  • Fort JeffFort Jeff Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Great fish, but out of season....can't kill em until June 1st (today)....major fine if caught. Suggest someone yanks this post and starts a fresh one with today's date. Again, beautiful fish!
  • BspotBspot Posts: 189 Officer
    Heard three were caught earlier this week and released. One 900# and 2 around 700#'s. Merritt crew is there filming the action on 2 of their boats. I was off S Cat Tues and Weds and it was 6-7 sporties in a line heading towards Ocean cay. All WAY up in the towers, looking. Later off Gun 2 were tied up on the back side maybe celebrating!
  • Fishatic31Fishatic31 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    :hairraiser
    Heard they don't allow old, ornery men in this fishery....one must set a good example for one's son!

Got tip? LOL.

JP
    Heard they don't allow old, ornery men in this fishery (especially ex roid shooters;)....one must set a good example for one's son!

Got tip? LOL.

JP
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    I think Alan and them caught the 900lb and got the release on video...the boat Viva la Vida caught 3 last week all over 700, those blues love to surf in the wind and waves outta the SE.lol
  • saltygator11saltygator11 Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Beautiful fish
  • Fort Jeff wrote: »
    Great fish, but out of season....can't kill em until June 1st (today)....major fine if caught. Suggest someone yanks this post and starts a fresh one with today's date. Again, beautiful fish!

Not really, these are trophy category fish over 73" that category is closed for US registered vessels no matter where they fish. Trophy category was closed as of April 7 for all areas south of Latitude 39 degrees 18 munutes North.

Just be smart and don't post any boat names.
  • grog69grog69 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    That's insane. Great Catch
  • wellcraftwellcraft Posts: 1,333 Officer
    Amazing catch!
    paypallogo.png
    Vertical jigs, Trolling lures, and more! Click the logo!

All V-Series High Speed Wahoo Lures
    http://victorylures.com/trolling-lures/v-series.html

Face Book Page for Victory Lures
    http://www.facebook.com/VictoryLures

Visit My Blog
    www.averticalthought.com
  • SeaBiaatch!SeaBiaatch! Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Cat Cay. They've been doing that since Hemmingway was hanging arounf. Just a lot more involved now, with the spotter planes, lutra lites ect. Its a billionaire's sport Fooo sure.