Tuna recipe with Cilantro, Jalapeño, Avacado, Soy sauce, Ginger.......

I know there is a kitchen section on the forums, but I figured a few of you guys may want to hear about this one here. An awesome recipe for seared tuna as well as other fish. Follow it to a tee and you'll sure to impress yourself and others. I know there are lots of tuna running around right now, so check it out!

Ingredients

2 big handfuls fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1/2 jalapeno, sliced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, grated
2 limes, juiced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Pinch sugar
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 (6-ounce) block sushi-quality tuna
1 ripe avocado, halved, peeled, pitted, and sliced

Directions

In a mixing bowl, combine the cilantro, jalapeno, ginger, garlic, lime juice, soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Stir the ingredients together until well incorporated.

Place a skillet over medium-high heat and coat with the pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the tuna generously with salt and pepper. Lay the tuna in the hot oil and sear for 1 minute on each side to form a slight crust. Pour 1/2 of the cilantro mixture into the pan to coat the fish. Serve the seared tuna with the sliced avocado and the remaining cilantro sauce drizzled over the whole plate.

Enjoy!

Kellan

Replies

• TerrenceTerrence Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Wow! that sounds great! My wife is from Peru and uses a similar recipe for Ceviche minus the soy sauce and add Aji Amarillo and Rocoto Aji instead of Jalapeno.
    Will try your recipe, thanks!
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    Out of curiosity, does blackfin tuna make decent ceviche? I don't want to make the same mistake once if someone else has tried.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • LivinthedreamLivinthedream Posts: 207 Officer
    Your welcome Terrence. Bugdoc I have not made ceviche with blackfin yet. But I'm sure it would be excellent! Just be sure to gut/bleed right after catching them and keep them cold. I am friends with two of the guys that make sushi at islamorada and they say it's important to eat it within 24 hours and keep it cold from the start.
  • kayakanglerkayakangler Posts: 207 Officer
    bugdoc wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, does blackfin tuna make decent ceviche? I don't want to make the same mistake once if someone else has tried.

I have made ceviche and tartare with the BFT. I think it was great, the tartare was my favorite, tuna, avocado, sesame seeds, cilantro, shallots or red onions, mango and a raw quail egg on top. Take some flour tortilla shells and cut them into triangles, fry them in some oil, add kosher salt and you are good to go