Rainy day cookin'...

Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,282 Admiral
What to do on a rainy holiday weekend?...why, go pick a bushel and a half of cucumbers, then spend the next three days elbow deep in pickling juice, what else?

and just for kicks and giggles make a strawberry-rhubarb pie and three batches of banana nut bread. (not shown...'cuz the pie's gone)

Most of the pickle recipes are from ladies long gone...who taught me so much.
I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

Replies

• jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Good for you. They look delicious. A lot of work that you can be proud of for a long time.
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Nice!
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,162 AG
    Those are some big pickles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    Looks awesome! I've got a few pounds of Kirbys that will be going in the jar here shortly.
    Grady-lady wrote: »
    the pickle recipes are from ladies long gone...

Care to share any insight from the long gone pickle ladies?
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,282 Admiral
    Thank you jakedge and ruskin...usually the pickling/canning process is a group effort involving three generations. Spend the whole day at it, have a potluck lunch...with a lot of laughs and good conversation. This time I was pretty much on my own, everyone else had other plans.

Flash - They are large and will need to cure for several weeks to a month. There are twenty four quarts of dills, whole and spears. Thirteen pints of bread and butter pickles. Fifteen half pints of relish. Thirteen pints of crispy lime in brine with hot pepper. Seven pints of sweet and dill with red pepper flakes, four pints of pickled okra...and one lone jar of dilly tomatoes...whole green tomatoes a little smaller than a ping pong ball in a dill brine with a whole red pepper. There is one batch of green tomato pickles, grandaddy's favorite, soaking in brine that will be finished off today.
    Plus, since we had some extra cabbages in the garden I've got a batch of **** working that should be ready tomorrow. Made some last year and it was quite good.
    Looks awesome! I've got a few pounds of Kirbys that will be going in the jar here shortly.

Care to share any insight from the long gone pickle ladies?

At the you-pick farm the Kirby's are considerably more expensive...I'm not familiar with that variety. Did you grow them?

This whole thing started because I wanted to try to 'create' a product similar to wickle's pickles. The youngun's rave over them. Finding fresh picked unwaxed small cukes was a challenge. At Brown's in Oxford they had just picked some cukes, so I went down and bought a bushel and a half...way more than I had originally planned on. But you've got to get the produce when it's available.

I used a variation of Aunt Edna's crispy lime and a variation of Aunt Lorraine's sweet and dill. The green tomato pickle recipe is Aunt Lorraine's, and one of kind. I thought I had lost it, and found nothing quite like it on the internet last year.

Those ladies, and a few others, taught me how to can and preserve. How to pluck chickens, how to prepare fresh veggies and to feed a crowd. I learned from them to always fix enough supper to fill an extra plate or two for the unexpected visitors. To waste nothing...and feed the rest to the pigs and chickens. To 'use it up, make it do, or do without'. To take pleasure in providing good food and a comfortable home for our loved ones...and that real freedom means wearing a 'house dress', sans girdle and hose. :)
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• I FA DATI FA DAT Posts: 553 Officer
    Nice work Grady-Lady! I didn't get the yield that I got last year. Been giving them away and eating lots of Cucumber salad.
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Nicely written and a good way to live.
  • ledslinger29ledslinger29 Posts: 837 Officer
    So that's why you brought the cuke salad Trey....
    So that's why you brought the cuke salad Trey....

:grin It's nice to walk to the backyard and get all the ingredients. Made another salad this week. It went well with the Trigger we shot. :thumbsup
    I FA DAT wrote: »
    :grin It's nice to walk to the backyard and get all the ingredients. Made another salad this week. It went well with the Trigger we shot. :thumbsup

I love cucumber salad and don't have a good recipe...would you share yours?

Sure! No real measurements though.

20-25 cherry Tomatoes (because they're ripe) cut in half.
    2 Cucumbers - I take a peeler and remove the skin but I keep a sliver of skin every half inch or so.
    a quarter of a red onion sliced thin
    a couple tablespoons of Olive oil
    Either a little red wine vinegar or lemon juice
    salt and pepper
    small cubed Mozzarella

Place all the ingredients in a tupperware container and place in the fridge. Personally I think it gets better the next day.
    Perfect!!
    Thank you...love the addition of cheese...everything's better with cheese.

I have basil, dill, cilantro, oregano, mint and chives in the garden...would you recommend using any of those herbs in the salad?

Fresh Basil for sure. When my big Tomatoes get ripe I take a big slice and top it with Mozzarella the same oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, combo and fresh basil. Something about that combination really works.
    I FA DAT wrote: »
    Fresh Basil for sure. When my big Tomatoes get ripe I take a big slice and top it with Mozzarella the same oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, combo and fresh basil. Something about that combination really works.

One of my favorites when the maters are good!
    Freshly grated parm and cracked black pepper sprinkled on top is really nice, too. I sometimes make a balsamic vinegar reduction to drizzle over it instead of oil and vinegar, but that takes a little time and stinks up the whole house. My daughter introduced my to a bottled balsamic reduction that, while a little pricey, tastes good enough to drink and goes a long way.