Kodiak Brakes

BiohazzardBiohazzard Posts: 221 Officer
Anyone else pissed with their trailer brake warranty?
I sit here with my warranty card, proof of purchase and a receipt for replacement of my failed S-Cad calapers from the local trailer service center and no recourse.

Just got off of the phone with the Kodiak representitive who notifyied me that the three year warrenty on my SCad's would not apply due to corrosion. The brakes only lasted 14 months with wash downs after every trip. The calapers and disks look good but there was rust under the piston boot which no amount of washing would I prevent. I was asked why I did not get the SS kit and infromed them that is was not offered for my rim size and inquired if corrosion would be covered on the stainless kit?? To which I was informed no! So I say why spend the extra dollars.

This is getting to be almost an annual expence. I am thinking I would rather go back to the old galvanized drum kits. At least they lasted 2-3 years and were only $65 each to replace.

This blows, no wonder Rentz would not honor or assist with the warranty return.

Replies

• Southern StyleSouthern Style Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    The manufacturers are only concerned about your money not your problems...warranties on anything related to a boat trailer are a joke. You should be more concerned about the axles you like to leave laying in intersections..
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Dust boot failure is the most common problem with Kodiak disk brakes on all models. I installed new calipers and one side locked-up in about 9 months. The problem was the rubber membrane that covers the metal ring which makes-up the dust boot was compromised. Which allowed salt water to enter the area around the piston and sit there until it rusted. I looked at the other side and the rubber was also torn. I think this happens at the factory when they press the dust boot into the caliper.

You can buy replacement parts to rebuild the caliper. All you need is the dust boot and the flat O-ring that fits on the piston. Lube up the area where the dust boot fits into the caliper with bearing grease. Cut a piece of 2 1/2" PVC about 1" long. It fits the dust boot perfectly. Lay the dust boot in the hole, then lay the pvc over that and lay a piece of wood or plastic over the pvc. I use that synthetic wood from Home Depot ( 3/4" X 1 1/2"). Then use a "C" clamp to slowly press the dust boot into the hole.

My first calipers were 9 years old when I finally replaced them. I just kept rebuilding them. Rebuild parts are about $5 or $6 per caliper.