Light Tackle Kingfish outa Pensacola

With the great forecast Sunday, Tonya (my better half) and I took the Pathfinder out the pass at Pensacola. We trolled Yo Zuri shallow divers on two spinning rods, one spooled with IGFA 6lb and the other with IGFA 8lb mono. We got our first hookup before the first gulfside bouy and the bite was just as good for the next 4 hours. I don't know how many Kings we caught but we left tired and left them eating. Tonya caught one that was close to 20lbs on the 6lb rod and it was the largest of the Day.

Tonya drove the boat back and I backed the trailer down thinking she would want me to land the boat onto the trailer due to a fairly strong current at the ramp but she wanted to try, and Nailed it perfect. Great Day on the Water.

Please remember with me the people that have both gave their life as well as the people that are still giving their life in order for us to live as we do.

Replies

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    Sounds good!

A buddy of mine was doing that very same thing out of Panama City last year... maybe 12# gear, but it was light. They were out there releasing kings and he ended up hooking, fighting and landing a real nice sail.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • snooknUSMCsnooknUSMC Posts: 113 Officer
    Deffinately fun fights on light tackle
  • GarboGarbo Posts: 1,256 Officer
    My oldest son and I both fish from Piers around Pensacola pretty frequently. We both like to snooble Kings from the elevation of a Pier. He fishes 12lb mono from a pier most of the time and I never go over 10lb mono from a pier for kings. I landed a 32lb king on the Gulf Shores Alabama pier last year on 8lb.

Actually now that I think about it I don't think I have landed a king from a boat on anything over 8lb mono in the past 12 to 15 years.

If you start fishing with truly light mono while trolling or live baiting close offshore it's very hard to stop doing it.