Scuppers on my boat stink

redspot321redspot321 Posts: 62 Greenhorn
I have a KW 1720 with scuppers with ping pong ball type balls in them After I fill the live well and fish 2 people in the boat there's about 1/2 inch water in the back 1/2 of the boat. Any good scuppers out there?
Have a 90 Yamaha hanging on the back

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,348 Moderator
    The short answer to your question is no. The scuppers only work above the waterline to keep waves and wakes from getting in. None of the available scuppers will work if they are submerged.

The best answer ive seen for this problem are pvc plugs made for sealing plumbing. They are like the old 1" boat plugs but made from pvc and come in different sizes. They screw down and compress a rubber center to seal off the pipe. They would only be useful if you have access to them. If a wave fills the boat with water, you would want to remove them to help the water escape.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • Pat LPat L Posts: 440 Officer
    ^^^ Agree, I deal with different boats everyday and there is no perfect scupper
  • DaziggDazigg Posts: 206 Officer
    Where are your batteries mounted? If they are in a rear hatch, move them to under the console. Might help out.
  • Mr. DemeanorMr. Demeanor Posts: 370 Officer
    Put a little silicone grease on the sealing surface where the ball seats and keep that clean. It will help.
  • JimmytalkJimmytalk Posts: 587 Officer
    I have a bailing hull with two scuppers. I just plug them up. I fish the flats and never encounter waves our wake to worry about. They have cords on them for quick removal just in case.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Put a little silicone grease on the sealing surface where the ball seats and keep that clean. It will help.

Exactly!! Those things only work if they are clean and that applies to all scuppers. A very small amount of particulate matter will keep them from forming a good seat. As previously stated, most scuppers don't work under the water line. Have you thought about those "duck-bill" scuppers. Before you give up on making something work, try them. If that doesn't work, then plugs is the only answer.
  • DONY 1DONY 1 Posts: 557 Officer
    I've been fighting the same battle for years. The ball type work great until you get anything at all in there and then they suck. I'm using the duck bill type now and they're great 4 out of 5 trips. I've got a grate over the drain so plugging it won't work unless I want to jump overboard to unplug it if needed. Good luck and let us know if you find the secret remedy.
    Don't cost nuttin to be nice
  • BobberBobber Posts: 895 Officer
    The KW 1720 is notorius for its bad scupper placement, they are too low. Moving batteries under the console will help, but then filling the livewell will give you a slight list to port. The only way I found to keep dry feet was to plug both scuppers inside and remove the plugs as needed.
  • BiohazzardBiohazzard Posts: 221 Officer
    If you do not like the Key West ones do go near a pathfinder.
    They are the worst
    Biohazzard wrote: »
    If you do not like the Key West ones do go near a pathfinder.
    They are the worst

Not to derail, but which Pathfinders. Need real facts.
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    just plug when drifting or anchored .

or you can do like I do & have a very large live well!
  • BiohazzardBiohazzard Posts: 221 Officer
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    Not to derail, but which Pathfinders. Need real facts.

22V
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,607 Moderator
    Same problem on a 20ft 2010 Twin VEE cat, boat is kept in water and the (4) scuppers are under water..They get filled with sludge/algae and never work,, back deck is always wet. Before you buy one think twice, every thing on the deck will be wet,feet will be cold all winter.
    larrywitt
    larrywitt wrote: »
    Same problem on a 20ft 2010 Twin VEE cat, boat is kept in water and the (4) scuppers are under water..They get filled with sludge/algae and never work,, back deck is always wet. Before you buy one think twice, every thing on the deck will be wet,feet will be cold all winter.
    larrywitt

Exactly!!@#$ Good advise. When I bought my bay boat 12 years ago, I'd heard of problems with wet decks (drains & scuppers). So, when I went to wet test the boat before buying, I took two of my brothers and the sales guy. That's four grown men in the boat. We filled the rear live-sell and all stood on the rear deck. It just barely took on water and that was good enough for me, because I never planned for four fully grown men to be standing in the rear of a 23" bay boat.

There's lots of things to consider before buying a boat, but if it takes on water with an average load, I ain't gonna buy it.