Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Drift Fishing the flats Cedar key

RiverlifeRiverlife North FloridaPosts: 88 Deckhand
I am from Jax and here the term Drift fishing over this way, can some one help me out, maybe it is just what it means, what kind of bait, technic for tackle, drag the bottom, ot just casting or using a float?

Replies

• troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    In Homosassa I drag a carolina rig tipped with a gulp or pc of cut bait strips 100 feet behind the boat in 9-12 feet of water drifting with the tide. Trout and seabass have been hitting this rig well.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,989 AG
    Basically they are throwing popping corks and letting the drift take them where ever. You want to locate some grass flats and depending on water temps, deeper may be better. You can also just free cast jigs and plastics as you drift.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer
    Always good to throw a jig or twitch bait (depending on depth) ahead of the drift while you're letting the weedless and corks do their thing. I tend to catch more ahead of the drift, or at least until summer drives them deeper.
    sigsmallx.jpg
    Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!
  • JimmytalkJimmytalk Posts: 587 Officer
    ^^^ this. I will have to try troutmans method in the IRL/ML.

Many weeds there troutman?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    Jimmytalk wrote: »
    ^^^ this. I will have to try troutmans method in the IRL/ML.

Many weeds there troutman?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Yes there is a good bit of floating weeds but this method is great for getting through them. Look at the tips and tactics thread for more details on the rig. I really worked and worked on perfecting this tactic since it works great for anglers of all skill levels. Also it is a very relaxing way to fish and catch plenty of fish. Folks have reported from other areas and it seems that water clear enough to see some bottom detail in 9' is somewhat important. Right now white and glow white 3" gulp shrimp are the ticket. I am about to report todays trip drifting there.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber