Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Sebastian flats 5-26-12

First time in Sebastian this year. How depressing !! Some of the most productive flats I've ever fished now look sterile. Not a single blade if grass.

Fished the east side of the river for 1 22" trout and cast netted 5 sheepshead unintentionally the FWC guy said the grass is the worst in recorded history.

On a positive note mullett and greenies were very thick throughout the river and the mangroves were super plush. I hope the grass comes back!!

Replies

• angler18angler18 Posts: 2,037 Captain
    The entire IRL seems to have lost a lot of grass. It does seem to be trying to come back though. Hopefully sooner than later.
  • shouldabeenworkinshouldabeenworkin Posts: 60 Deckhand
    the abundance of mantees ate all the grass, how about that ?!?
  • redspot321redspot321 Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    If they did they have moved on cause I didn't see 1 in the past 4 trips this year. I guess no grass = no food. What came first the chicken or the egg?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,632 AG
    redspot321 wrote: »
    First time in Sebastian this year. How depressing !! Some of the most productive flats I've ever fished now look sterile. Not a single blade if grass.

Fished the east side of the river for 1 22" trout and cast netted 5 sheepshead unintentionally the FWC guy said the grass is the worst in recorded history.

On a positive note mullett and greenies were very thick throughout the river and the mangroves were super plush. I hope the grass comes back!!

Redspot... If you go back several months you will see that I was sounding the alarm on this situation in several posts for a long while now.
    Basicly, the grass is gone from above Pineda cswy to the south Vero/N. Ft pierce area with a few very small isolated areas where it is attempting a rebound.

As I previously said...I feel that there are SEVERAL reasons for what we are seeing.

As far as the FWC officer saying of it being the worst....really, how could it be worse?

Angler 18 ( Joe).... It is my opinion It will not come back down this way...too much turbidity (visability less than a foot) to allow sunlight penitration...plus the fact that there are no tubers of the seagrass left alive down here. Add to that the fact we have still not identified what killed it off in the first place!

I fear that an ecosystem "crash" could be in our future....I hope not.

The "up" side is that there are still some good fish....I had FS poster " Dupont" on the skiff saturday and we did OK on bigger trout...Had a friend from Orlando yesterday and it was a repeat of Saturdays success plus a Red and nice size Flounder...and today was a half dz mid twentys trout even with alot of wind and filty stirred up water.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    I've been experiencing the same thing i Fort Pierce. I was amazed. I have heard some reports of catches but they are few and far between. Just isn't the same. The grass around Stuart looked much better yesterday as I visited the sandbar. Fingers crossed it gets better over the summer.
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,020 Officer
    Combine all that with the fact that the Indian River County Commissioners refuse to acknowledge that the lagoon is in danger and they are unwilling to support efforts to reduce fertilizer runoff = algae blooms = lack of sunlight = dead grasses.

Both Indian River Shores and Vero Beach have adopted measures that hopefully will result in more people becoming aware that what we put on our lawns ends up in the lagoon. I'm forever talking with landscapers about limiting the amount of grass clipping they blow into the water. Over on the west shore of Vero, some of the canals between the bridges are covered with grass clippings 4 days of the week...really sucks! Vero Beach Charter High School is beginning a program of water monitoring with ORCA which should provide some important data that can be used to get people off the azzes and maybe begin to reverse some of the damage if it isn't already too late.
  • adcadc Posts: 113 Officer
    Net 30 wrote: »
    Combine all that with the fact that the Indian River County Commissioners refuse to acknowledge that the lagoon is in danger and they are unwilling to support efforts to reduce fertilizer runoff = algae blooms = lack of sunlight = dead grasses.

Both Indian River Shores and Vero Beach have adopted measures that hopefully will result in more people becoming aware that what we put on our lawns ends up in the lagoon. I'm forever talking with landscapers about limiting the amount of grass clipping they blow into the water. Over on the west shore of Vero, some of the canals between the bridges are covered with grass clippings 4 days of the week...really sucks! Vero Beach Charter High School is beginning a program of water monitoring with ORCA which should provide some important data that can be used to get people off the azzes and maybe begin to reverse some of the damage if it isn't already too late.

If it hasn't been done already, report it to FDEP. With all the nightmare stories I heard while getting Stormwater Management inspector certifications, you'd think they would come down on them pretty hard.
  • bigoldredfishbigoldredfish Posts: 486 Deckhand
    The dredging of the ICW channel will probably be the final nail in the coffin ...
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,632 AG
    The dredging of the ICW channel will probably be the final nail in the coffin ...

Yep.....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    i have seen such in the banana river, but in the last month the grass has come back threefold