Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Stupid dolphins..AGAIN

Went back (just South of Pineda Causeway) early this morning with my wife and two daughters. Worked topwater and a mirror dyne for a couple hours. Caught trout right off the bat and back to back until...you guessed it - stupid dolphin showed up again. Spent the entire time chasing us, which of course made fishing useless.
5 Trout in less than 45 minutes, then nothing because of dolphin.
Sure wish I had a way to get away from these things...

Replies

• NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
    I know the feeling. I had one go after a trout that I hooked from the kayak. I was really hoping he didn't inhale it and take me for a ride. They get aggressive when there is food involved!
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    ………and you think that makes the dolphin stupid?

:rotflmao
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • FloridaAnglerFloridaAngler Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    **** dolphins always ruin the fishing
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,037 Captain
    way to get a few trout before flipper showed up, better than nothing
  • GSnappedGSnapped Posts: 147 Officer
    NSByak wrote: »
    I know the feeling. I had one go after a trout that I hooked from the kayak. I was really hoping he didn't inhale it and take me for a ride. They get aggressive when there is food involved!

I had one mess with my buddy when we were out the grand canal just paddling around. They were splashing around us and then it turned right at him (perpendicular, so dorsal facing his right side) and started swimming full speed at him, creating a decent wake. I fully expected it to ram him but it stopped just short of him and dove, slapping the wake all over him. Was downright hilarious actually.
  • MSW_SatelliteBeachMSW_SatelliteBeach Posts: 212 Officer
    GSnapped wrote: »
    I had one mess with my buddy when we were out the grand canal just paddling around. They were splashing around us and then it turned right at him (perpendicular, so dorsal facing his right side) and started swimming full speed at him, creating a decent wake. I fully expected it to ram him but it stopped just short of him and dove, slapping the wake all over him. Was downright hilarious actually.

I've been out paddling with the wife - for sightseeing and exercise - and had a blast watching them. Every once in a while they do something downright entertaining, and it's fun to be there.
    But when I'm fishing, I don't want 'em anywhere around me, and it seems like every trip now - after 4 or 5 fish - they show up.

Guess I'll just start driving further North up the river.
  • Art VandelayArt Vandelay Posts: 418 Officer
    The banana river dolphins are smart and annoying... They will wait right by your boat for you to throw back a fish and then demolish it. Guess they missed the memo about size limits. I always move spots when this happens but if your in a kayak moving spots is not exactly easy.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,621 AG
    The banana river dolphins are smart and annoying... They will wait right by your boat for you to throw back a fish and then demolish it. Guess they missed the memo about size limits. I always move spots when this happens but if your in a kayak moving spots is not exactly easy.

It is actually everywhere... I call them "Welfare Porpoises" since they seem unwilling to work very hard trusting to somebody to give them hand-outs.

It is said that a Dolphin has the learning capacity of a 6 year old human...
    Try and keep a 6 year old away from a bag of M&M's...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer

yep….it's only those dolphins...:rotflmao
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • Art VandelayArt Vandelay Posts: 418 Officer
    I didn't mean it was only those dolphins that do it. just a spot where it has happened to me on multiple occasions and where I believe the OP is referring too.

lol @ "welfare dolphins" i like that.
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 709 Officer
    I had one take a Jack one time, and it was two feet off the water. I was on a dock, pulling it out to unhook, scared the heck out of me, did not know it was around. I have turned it around, a few times when fishing was slow, they can find the fish. Found them feeding, went over and started catching trout, and lady fish, evan hooked a little Tarpon.
  • CJB11CJB11 Posts: 93 Deckhand
    Ok so how fun would it be to have one of them inhale your trout and go for one hell of a yak sleighride??? I guess if you dont get spooled it would be a blast...just sayin
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    I've had them actually hit the kayak a couple of times near river breeze. They're big animals and are a little intimidating in a 'yak when they're aggressive. Bastages!
  • BMargioBMargio Posts: 96 Deckhand
    Ii had one ram my yak in the banana river after i caught a redfish with the porpoise right behind and put him in my cooler. He saw that i took the fish as he was stalking it and got aggresive with me. They are very smart animals. He began circling me in about 4ft of water and i quickly paddled to the shore so he would leave me alone.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,592 Captain
    I had one blast me on a sea wall under a bridge very close. Startled me a bit. About 30 seconds later it comes back nice and slow, surfaces about four feet away and rolls slightly to show ME about six pound redfish in it's mouth "Is this what your after" kinda display.
    Dumb six year old kid? I think NOT!
    Show off? Yes!
    No I do not like them any where near I'm fishing...but then again it is their yard.
  • 72soa72soa Posts: 314 Officer
    The way dolphins are acting is a rather new situation. I have fished in FL my entire life and until the last few years dolphins would never shadow a boat much less eat something you tossed back. Now it is real bad here in Oak Hill. They are real aggressive. The problem is not the dolphins it is the morons who feed them. It is quite common to see someone feeding the dolphins. I can fish one spot they show up and stick around. Then I will move. It seems within in a few minutes they are back.
  • MSW_SatelliteBeachMSW_SatelliteBeach Posts: 212 Officer
    72soa wrote: »
    The way dolphins are acting is a rather new situation. I have fished in FL my entire life and until the last few years dolphins would never shadow a boat much less eat something you tossed back. Now it is real bad here in Oak Hill. They are real aggressive. The problem is not the dolphins it is the morons who feed them. It is quite common to see someone feeding the dolphins. I can fish one spot they show up and stick around. Then I will move. It seems within in a few minutes they are back.

AMEN. People have started feeding them, so they now associate kayaks/canoes with food.
    I wonder of those who are feeding them are also subject to Federal prosecution for molesting marine mammals?
  • Off Shore DudeOff Shore Dude Posts: 303 Deckhand
    I had a trout hooked the other day and knew a porpoise had been in the area. I looked in back of me and noticed that this HUGE porpoise was sneaking up on me (side ways) and was almost up to the boat. I grabbed a paddle and smacked the water near him three times. He finally swam off and let me reel my trout in. I could tell he didn't like the paddle the way he was looking at me.