I need info. on jigs and plugs, please.

firesq5firesq5 Posts: 89 Greenhorn
I'm looking to start going offshore and dont know what to tie on my rods. I wish I had penn conquer's or shimano saragosa's but I have some bg 30's and 60's for right now. I have 30 and 50 braid on the and need help figuring what to tie on them. Could someone recommend leader size and lenth also lure and/or plugs to troll as I paddle. Thanks.:huh

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,330 Moderator
    I'm probably the oddmanout but i use snap swivels at the end of my braid on both rods. Next comes a barrel swivel to 2-3ft of leader material then the lure. Most of the time i use 40# floro leader but i do have a few king fish rigs with wire leader instead. If you're jigging, just about any 3-5oz butterfly jig will work if you are in the right area. If youre trolling, a skirted bait works, or a diving rapala/yozuri produces also.
    Good luck.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • firesq5firesq5 Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Thanks alot. I got most of my gear ready, now I'm just looking for someone to go out with.
  • SaltysackSaltysack Posts: 463 Officer
    I use anywhere from 6-10' of 50# flouro with a uni-uni knot line/line, uni-snell to the hook, albright to #6 wire. 3-5oz jigs are good long as there's not much current, always keep one or two 7-9oz for windy/strong current days. I agree on the rapalas and yozuri's, bomber makes a good plug too. Just be wary on the 30' Certified Diving plugs as far as the depth goes...or bring a snorkel/mask. Best bet is a fishfinder, or, if in Pompano, about 200yds east of the mooring bouys is a safe bet, anything beyond that, you're good. Pretty much as long as it's shiny and on the plate at the right time/place you're good to go fo most species. Good luck!