Completed water sausage stuffer ... under $50

RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
UPDATE: I have completed the unit and posted it up on a new thread with a video and a parts list here
Completed-water-power-sausage-stuffer-DIY

I have completed my prototype sausage stuffer and proved the concept ... it works excellent. I have run a 34mm casing, 21mm casing, 1-1/2" and a 2-1/2". All sizes came out perfectly and effortlessly using the water pressure at the kitchen sink. I made 3 stuffing tubes ... 3/4" -- 1/2" -- 3/8" and extruded the ends just a bit with heat.

At full stroke on the piston the residual left in the machine was a couple of ounces which is pretty good. On my final version I will machine a piston to pick up most of that.

I will tidy this "working proof of concept" unit up and make 2 size tubes - perhaps an 12" and a 24" that will hold about 5# and 11# of meat.

Now: Anyone wanting to make there own ... I can give you the dimensions for your piston disks which can be made out of 1/8" cutting board if you have a drill press. You will need 4 of the large OD size and 4 of the minor OD size to form it, a small spacer to make it about 2" overall length and a SS through bolt. The O-rings are a standard #334 Buna-N. The tube is a common 4" PVC that Lowe's and Home Depot have in 2' DWV lengths in a rack for $5-6. The fittings are standard PCV.

You will need to drill/tap a 1/2" and 3/4" pipe thread in the caps.

I am looking for a less expensive material so I can make up about 10 pistons to have available. The 4" nylon or derlin stock is about $25 cost for each piston!

Here are a few pictures of the proto-type. I ran a 10# batch in ~ 5 minutes today as a test. It took longer to tie the sticks than to process them.

I will smoke this batch up tomorrow and post a couple of pictures of the finished products.
Port Charlotte, Florida

Replies

• ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Impressive!
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Good job.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    In the smoker .... waiting!
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • Bruce LBBruce LB Posts: 3,604 Captain
    Awesome
  • dolfanjoeydolfanjoey Posts: 1,173 Officer
    nice
  • wildbillwildbill Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    I am amazed at your ingenuity! What a great idea! Can I borrow that thing???????? :wink

I would have no idea how to mimic that, even with the directions! :)
    ~~WildBill~~
    May those that love us, love us.
    And those that don’t love us,
    May God turn their hearts.
    And if he doesn’t turn their hearts,
    May he turn their ankles,
    So we’ll know them by their limping.

WS T-120 "UGLY BETTY"
    Mainstream Streak
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    wildbill wrote: »
    I am amazed at your ingenuity! What a great idea! Can I borrow that thing???????? :wink

I would have no idea how to mimic that, even with the directions! :)
    ^This.
    Easy to make this .. lots of them on the market but the operative term for me was CHEAP! About $35 in material.

When I get the pistons made up I can offer them on a first come basis for ~ $30 each (maybe have 8) . You can buy the remainder of the stiff at Lowe's or HD.

They cam out real good. I tried a new cotto salami recipe ... not as good as my original. The Pepperoni came out real good and so did the snack sticks (#116 Leggs mix)
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,028 Moderator
    I may have a new hero!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 972 Officer
    RexLan wrote: »
    I am looking for a less expensive material so I can make up about 10 pistons to have available. The 4" nylon or derlin stock is about $25 cost for each piston!

I have been playing with this idea also. Here are two thoughts if you have a lathe:
    1. use a 3" domed PVC cap and turn down its diameter slightly then cut the two "O" ring grooves.
    2. use thick scrape pieces of starboard for the disks. Find a starboard fabricator locally, they usually have a scrape bin that you can buy from.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
    I found some good material that is also food safe and have made the pistons. Waiting for a new clear PVC pipe to fit a system together and run another batch.

These are for the 4" stuffer and the pistons are 2" thick for a double O-ring setup.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • FS DavidFS David Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Very impressive. I'm going to put this up on the kitchen front page so everyone who comes to the page sees it.
    Here is an updated parts list I have put up on my site for those into sausage.
    I have not completed the pistons but should have everything put together in a couple of weeks and know what my cost is on them.

This is a hobby deal for me ... NOT a commercial enterprise.
    Water Stuffer
    Port Charlotte, Florida