5/24/12 Dry Tortugas on the Yankee Capts

Sitting here recuperating from another punishing trip on the Yankee. The trip started with a 16 hour drive from Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin where i have been working on some cottages my boss acquried to North Ga. to pick up my son who was joining me for this trip and then another 15 hour drive to the Yankee. We got to the Yankee and got loaded and readied our gear for the battles that were to come. We got to the grounds and started in 250' and the yellow eyes were comming over the rail and there was a nice Gag cought on the bow. We made a move and started getting some nice American Red Snappers, my first ARS ever and watched as it made its way back to the deep after its pardon and release. My son cought his first ARS and it was a nice 23 pounder.

Then I hooked into a beast from the deep and had a battle that took its tole on me for a while. I got it about half way up and it decided it was further from the bottom than it liked and headed back down. It was determined to get back to the bottom and i was determined to get it to the boat. After a long battle I won and the 43# Cubera was boated. It turned out to be the pool winner for the biggest Snapper and biggest over all.

My next drop hooked up to a AJ that took most of the energy I had left, but it will make some great dip that the new friends in Wi. will enjoy.

Next was my sons first Mutton, a nice 19 pounder.

Over the trip we cought some nice fish and the sharks took there share of fish and maybe more that there share at some stops. I am sitting here with aching arms and shoulders, my mind is in a state of lag due to the lack of sleep, it was another punishing trip but nothing puts a smile on my face like a good trip on the Yankee. Thanks to Capt. Greg and crew for another great trip and thanks to Mike for putting the trip together. We had a blast and will be back again

Replies

• Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Nice Catching! :beer
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Very nice cubera and others. I know that big snapper kicked your butt. Those things are animals. Make sure your new friends in Wi. hook you up with some walleye. Delicious! Thanks for the report.
  • duke6543duke6543 Posts: 336 Deckhand
    Awesome snappers. Nice report. Thanks.
  • cudamancudaman Kendal LakesPosts: 404 Deckhand
    Roc N Rol, that was some driving you did there man. :driver:

Really nice fish you all caught!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :beer
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,404 Officer
    Wow I thought I was hardcore driving 8 hours from Jacksonville! You were rewarded nicely with that stud of a snapper. Looks like a nice trip. Got to love the flat seas in the background of the pics. I'm headed down in two weeks then again in July. Cant wait!
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 237 Deckhand
    I was at a seminar that suggested 30 million NEsteners wants to retire in the south. This great fishery is one good reason for some of us. Trip of giants when you get to fish deeper, twice the work-out. Nice payoff.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Nice report & pics. Serious snapper. Well done.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 947 Officer
    That cubera is a real bruiser. Enjoyed your post. I'm ready for the Red Snapper on the early June Capts trip.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 529 Officer
    Congratulations to Roc N Rol, certainly very humble demeanor to say the least.
    Roc N Roll failed to mention that he caught the 43 lb. Cubera Snapper with a medium size spinning reel and a medium action rod! He remained very calmed and collected during the fight and after his win with a fish of a life time, Congratulations!

I would like to thank Captain Greg and crew for another stellar trip to the Dry Tortugas and also Mike Catena aka AccurateMike for all the work in putting this trip together, Mike spent the majority of the trip helping his guests, catching bait and sharing it with others, a true gentleman.
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Very nice...Love seeing that ARS...:wink
    Capt Bill
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 Posts: 4,172 Captain
    If you dont mind me asking always wanted to do a trip like that what does in run normally
    living life as i like
    Here is a list of his trips, 2, 3 and 4 day trips.

http://www.yankeecapts.com/
    Capt Bill
  • bite my baitbite my bait Posts: 459 Deckhand
    Roc and roll,gotta give it to you brotha,,u kicked a$$ on this trip,I saw u bring everything up with that little spinner and rod combo,almost looked like a medium jigging setup,u sure did great and held up strong through those bruising battles.you beat me to it on writing the report,hopefully I will get to it by tuesday,nice fishing with you .
    Bricks
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,349 Officer
    Thanks everone for the replys, the rod is a Chaos SP 12-20 General Purpose 6' 6" with a shimano stradic 8000, loaded with 65# stealth braid. I have used it on all the Yankee trips. Capt Matt called me buggy whip cause it reminded him of one. Those long stiff 8' rods you all use take to much power to use, with all that length the fish has the advantage, the shorter the rod gives me the advantage of being able to put more pressure on the fish with less power on my part. Being a builder all my life and working with cranes all the time, if they want to life a heavy load they pull the boom in to shorten it or lift it up into the upright position to lift the load, out straight and the crane cant handle the load and the front wheels come off the ground. The shorter the rod the more leverage you have to lift the fish off the bottom. I can lower the rod tip below the deck and lift the tip over my head which gives me atleast a 7' lift and put 3 to 4 cranks on the reel with each lift. It works real good for me.

I am in Ga. with the family for the weekend and headed back to Sibiera on Tuesday for another 6 weeks or so. I hate to leave Fl and the fishing behind but hope to get on a couple charters and chase some King Salmon around in the Wisconsin Ocean, will see how that turns out.

I cut out the canine teeth of the Cubera and found a new tooth growing inside of one of them.
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 529 Officer
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    Those long stiff 8' rods you all use take to much power to use, with all that length the fish has the advantage, the shorter the rod gives me the advantage of being able to put more pressure on the fish with less power on my part.

Everything that Roc N Roll said.

I dread the day that I can no longer use the long rods, I grew up in piers in South Florida and that's all I like to use, but they do give the fish the advantage - law of physics. Where shorter give fisherman the leverage advantage, insane enough I'm in the process of building 9 foot Phenix Hybrid blanks for this fishery.
    I cut out the canine teeth of the Cubera and found a new tooth growing inside of one of them

Now that something you don't see everyday.

Thanks for sharing
    Capt Bill
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,404 Officer
    That is one wicked looking tooth. One thing about the rod legnth and leverage I will ask is why not just use a conventional so you can use the rail to your advantage? You can put a ton of pressure on a fish with pretty minimal effort that way. Spinners are fun though at least until your arms tire out.
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Is that a replacement tooth in the making, lined up like in a sharks mouth?
    I understand the leverage aspect of the short rods and I like the way Roc N Rol compared it to lifting with a crane. We've all seen the power the new short jigging and popping outfits can exert. Blue fin tunas close to a grand standing up off Nova Scotia, giant trevally in the Pacific etc., etc. The party boat aspect adds another variable though, with the height above the water. I think it's an advantage to have the additional reach of a longer rod for the longer reach in case the fish goes towards or under the boat. You can't let the line get against the boat or the fish is gone. Roc n Rol is definitely accurate about the leverage factor. Some times I do feel like my "wheels come off the ground" when pulling on a big fish, but I still like the long sticks.
    I read this and have some rods that fit R&R, 6 ft Conventional jigging set up and a 5'8"Hopper spining rod, may have to give them a whirl. Along with my regular gear.

Funny I am waiting for another Calstar that it is in the works now, but only 7 ft instead of 7'10"

Should prove to be interesting to say the least.
    Capt Bill
  • accuratemikeaccuratemike Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Thanks for posting the pics Don, i had a great time on this trip! Watching you catch a 43 lb cubera on a small spinner was definitely worth the price of admission. Thanks to everyone who made it out for this trip, great group of people to spend 3 days on the yankee with! I wanted this trip to be more about quality than quanity and i feel we accomplished that goal. We got many big muttons in the 15-20lb range some really nice gags a few blacks and even some scamps. At a few of the deeper spots there were many good sized yellow eyes coming over the rail as well as several large ARS caught vented and released...cant wait to actually be able to keep a few of them! I know at least 5 friends on this trip caught their 1st muttons ever which was great to be a part of. Im sure all of them will be back hopefully next year when i do this trip again. I also want to thank Capt Greg, Lyndon, Josh, Chad, and Joe for working hard to make our trip a success. I know most people who read these posts probably have already fished the Yankee, for anyone who hasnt do yourself a favor and book a trip asap. These guys run a top notch organization and always work hard to put you on big snapper and grouper. There is nothing like coming tight on a big mutton snapper, its definitely something every fisherman should experience at least once!
    Oh yeah, there it is
  • Chase 'Em DownChase 'Em Down Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    as always great report
  • webhunterwebhunter Posts: 239 Deckhand
    Hawkboat wrote: »
    Here is a list of his trips, 2, 3 and 4 day trips.

http://www.yankeecapts.com/

Anyone know if the 4-day trip next month is a guarentee to sail or they need a minimum head count first??

thanks
    You can check there website, click the date and it will tell you how many are on and rail positons, then call the office and ask.
    Capt Bill
  • bassjedibassjedi Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Nice cubes, you don't see that every day.