Fishing along Turnpike in S. FL.

1FSM1FSM Posts: 114 Officer
I occasionally drive down Turnpike Extension and see people fishing along the road at the skinny canal along both the sides.
This is along on Turnpike Extension south of I-75 and before SR-27 exit in Miami-Dade.
Is it legal to park along side the road and fish and is there any fish in those canal?

Replies

• spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Admiral
    1FSM wrote: »
    I occasionally drive down Turnpike Extension and see people fishing along the road at the skinny canal along both the sides.
    This is along on Turnpike Extension south of I-75 and before SR-27 exit in Miami-Dade.
    Is it legal to park along side the road and fish and is there any fish in those canal?

Not sure if it's actually legal or not, but there aren't any no fishing signs posted, and I've never ever seen cops bothering the people fishing there. As for fish, there hold be bass, peacocks, and all the other "trash" fish....gar, mudfish, sunfish, cichlids, oscars, etc, etc.
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
  • real crazyreal crazy Posts: 63 Deckhand
    1FSM wrote: »

I have had run ins on more then one occasion with LEOs about using the water. They say it is illegal to be parked.
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,533 Captain
    I've fished those canals a lot over the years and never been bothered by the law. The fishing can be pretty good at times. It's best to be real careful about entering an leaving traffic, as most of the time they're flying.
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    Just check for the "Emergency Stopping Only" signs.
  • FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 371 Moderator
    Funny, I used to commute 75 miles of Turnpike (each way!) from Broward to Stuart. I always kept a rod in the car. About once a week there'd be a big wreck with lane closed, bumper to bumper for 20 miles, people sitting in their cars cursing and boiling their arteries.

I'd just ease off the road, get out and fish until the traffic cleared.

Seems like they've fenced in a lot of the water now, which is lame.
    Jeff Weakley
  • Reel-DealReel-Deal Posts: 86 Deckhand
    I happen to live close to where you are talking (in your original post) and have fished that area many times...Like spinfreak said, the waters are loaded with fish...Peacocks are everywhere now in Miami-Dade and Broward...I'd be very careful stopping along the turnpike though...Best bet is to hit an exit and the canals that run alongside the highway...I've caught tarpon, snook, peacock, largemouth and many other species just off the highway...