Fish in Caja China?

Planning on cooking a big mutton in a caja china for the 1st time.

Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated :cool:

Replies

• IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    You traveling all that way just to cook a snapper?
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Please post pics of your rig and the end product, I have had intrests in the china box for a while now.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,700 Captain
    My only worry would be drying the fish out as the Chinese Box was designed for low and slow heat for Pig cooking. Who knows though, until you give it a try.
    Good luck and show us the finished results.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• deepbluehunterdeepbluehunter Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Idlewilde wrote: »
    You traveling all that way just to cook a snapper?
    :rotflmao
    conchydong wrote: »
    My only worry would be drying the fish out as the Chinese Box was designed for low and slow heat for Pig cooking. Who knows though, until you give it a try.
    Good luck and show us the finished results.
    Cant experiment....planning on cooking 2 muttons 15+ lbs that are going to feed a party of 18.....its sink or swim for me :cool
    Read a while ago and saw some pictures on one of the many spin-off "caja china's" websites of folks cooking some big snappers on a bed of veggies and it looked awesome...I think site even had recipe and instructions, however, my google attempts have been futile.

As many "caja's" in fishermans backyards that we have here in south fla I know SOMEONE has to of had baked a whole mutton or grouper in one of those puppies.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    I see coconut milk, stuffed with thin sliced mixed peppers and onions, wrapped in banana leaves?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    2 mutts, even big ones, doesn't sound like enough for 18 people unless there are other meat choices alongside. Not with my friends anyway!
    jakedge wrote: »
    2 mutts, even big ones, doesn't sound like enough for 18 people unless there are other meat choices alongside. Not with my friends anyway!

If its just the fillets I agree, however, you would be surprised how much meat you could get off the collar, head, cheeks and rib cage of a big snapper........besides they will be stuffed with xtra-large and jumbo key west pinks we got from the shrimpers.
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,664 Captain
    what time is dinner?
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    If its just the fillets I agree, however, you would be surprised how much meat you could get off the collar, head, cheeks and rib cage of a big snapper........besides they will be stuffed with xtra-large and jumbo key west pinks we got from the shrimpers.
    Excellent. Sounds terrific, especially the shrimp inside!
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 428 Deckhand
    It should work, in theory. We have done some big snapper and grouper like that on the grill set to low/med heat and kept closed. We would oil the bottom of the foil then line with onions and peppers, the fish, shredded carrots, green onion tops, sliced lemons and limes, a little Tony's and garlic salt, two shakes of Worchestershire Sauce and you are good to go. If you have a temp prob you are all set.