A little grouper piccata recipe... again, nothing fancy, but sure enough tasty!

Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,028 Moderator
Fought some pretty sporty weather condidtions Saturday morning and managed to boat a few red groupers in the Gulf.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?55184-Panama-City-Nearshore-Offshore-5-19

Not the best trip in the world, but we made the most of not fishing where and how we had planned.

Anyway, last night it was time to enjoy some of our fresh filets. I kept ALL of the triggerfish for a little dish that I'll post later this week. As a result of that plus the fact that I don't like eating tiny dolphin or beeliners, I got very little grouper... two filets, in fact. That being said, I wanted to do something that would make them go a long way... what better method than darn near a stick of butter, some lemon and white wine!

I typically go 2 parts butter to 1 part EVOO, and last night was no different. Got the pan pretty hot and just when the butter was about to stop foaming and begnning to brown, I cooled it off with some salt adn peppered, then lightly floured fresh grouper filets. Flipped them once, and put them on a paper towl in a preheated oven at 215.

Next added some more butter, a little wine, and some fresh lemon juice. Put on high heat, whisked and reduced for probably a little less than 2 minutes. Thought we still had capers at the house, but turns out we didn't. So we went sans capers. Some fresh parsley also would have been nice, but we forgot that too. This dish start to finish was the lenght of time that it takes to boil a pot of thin speghetti noodles, so whatever.

Anyway, plated the fish over a bed of noodles, drizzled some sauce around a little dried parsely, just a touch of salt and pepper, and then it was game one!

grouperpiccata.jpg?t=1337607075
grouperpiccata2.jpg?t=1337607080
grouperpiccata3.jpg?t=1337607075
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    That looks awesome! I love picatta because you can make it with so many proteins. This recipe is for chicken but I make with venison, veal, fish, pork and when I go to South Dakota pheasant.

Chicken Piccata
    ½ C Flour
    1 t salt
    ¼ t pepper
    2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded to ¼ inch thickness (or a venison/pork loin, pounded out)
    2 T butter
    2 T Olive oil
    3 T Dry white wine or water
    3 T Lemon juice
    1 Lemon, thinly sliced
    3 T Capers
    3 T freshly chopped parsley
    Sliced mushrooms (optional)

1. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour mix;shake off excess.
    2. In a large frying pan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add chicken breasts. Cook about 3 minutes until tender and opaque. Remove and keep warm.
    3. Add wine to pan juices. Cook 1 minute scraping up brown bits. Add lemon juice and heat to boiling. Return chicken to pan, cover with lemon slices and cook until sauce thickens slightly- about 3 minutes. Serve garnished with capers and parsley. ( I usually add the capers while cooking.)
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,028 Moderator
    This is pretty much exactly what I did last night, minus the capers because we were out and didn't know it. And minus the EVOO to butter ratio. I like going more like 2:1 with butter over oil. 1:1 for the pan frying, but I double up that butter amount after removing meat and scraping up bits. Then I add that second portion of butter. As far as the capers, I too add them to the sauce at the end as opposed to simply garnishing. I also like to chop mine before adding them.

I can tell you one thing, those little grouper filets were simply amazing last night. So, so good.

Tonight it's grilled cheese and tomato soup! I've always said that food should be whatever you're in the mood for, and tonight I'm in the mood for grilled cheese and tomoto soup, so there!
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Very nice. We're always looking for a different way to eat fish. I'll make sure I've got capers in the house!!
    Grouper and a lot of fish do well with the Italian sauces. I will post recipes for Marsala, Angelica and parmessian tomorrow.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,028 Moderator
    Whoa... I just remembered one that I have not done in ages. It sounds a bit odd, but it's excellent. Involves greek seasoning, pace picante sauce (of all things), parmesan, a grill, an oven, and some saltine crackers.

I need to go fishing again this weekend. I'll post that one up, too. It's really good.
  • FS DavidFS David Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Panhandler 80 --

Hope you don't mind a little Kitchen page air time:

http://www.floridasportsman.com/kitchen/
  • rbricklerbrickle Posts: 239 Officer
    Looks like mod's and the editor have to keep this dead a$$ kitchen alive. Just think about what it use to be. Abelman tried. You stuck with Flash. You get what you deserve. Take it any way you want to. I don't give a s%i_

:wink:cool::thumbsup
    The Forgotten Coast

PICT0143-1.jpg
  • woods loverwoods lover Posts: 31 Deckhand
    Whoa... I just remembered one that I have not done in ages. It sounds a bit odd, but it's excellent. Involves greek seasoning, pace picante sauce (of all things), parmesan, a grill, an oven, and some saltine crackers.

I need to go fishing again this weekend. I'll post that one up, too. It's really good.

PH80, the above recipe sounds great! I'll be looking for your recipe!

Piccata dishes are great, those capers really make it pop! I just got back from lunch, but your making me hungry. Very nice photo presentation, keep it up and you'll be blogging like Pioneer Woman!
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    I made this last night with some fresh red grouper from the weekend's Dry Tortugas trip aboard the Yankee Capts. I'm one of those cooks who can't "leave well enough alone" and this was no exception! As the butter and oil was heating I added three peeled and smashed garlic cloves to infuse the oil with the garlic flavor. When the oil was hot enough for the fish, I removed and discarded the garlic cloves. Cooked the fish, removed to warming oven. Deglazed with the wine and lemon and added dried parsley and chopped capers. Added more butter, whisked until the browned bits (fond) were incorporated and put six lemon slices in while reducing. Meanwhile, I had cooked the pasta to less than "al dente", drained and put aside while reserving two cups of the starchy pasta water. When the sauce had reduced, I removed the lemon slices and added the pasta with it's reserved cooking water to the pan and cooked until the pasta was finished. This lets the pasta absorb the sauce flavor and helps bring everything together, something I always do with clam or mussel pasta dishes. Then plated it and it was awesome! Thanks to panhandler for the idea. We'll definitely make this one again.
  • John1352John1352 Posts: 232 Officer
    I'm going to give this a try this weekend. I like to fry mahi and use a lemon butter caper sauce.
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,584 Captain
    looks good
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,584 Captain
    substituted shrimp for the grouper in this recipe tonight; turned out pretty good. thanks for posting it
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
  • BColleyBColley Posts: 419 Deckhand
    Looks tasty!
    JBC

Chaos Tarpon Bay
    Ocean Master 31
  • PCFisherPCFisher Posts: 269 Officer
    I've always done this with chicken never thought about fish, I guess I'll have to give it a try, looks good.
    Tod
    PCFisher wrote: »
    I've always done this with chicken never thought about fish, I guess I'll have to give it a try, looks good.
    Don't forget pounded out loin medallions- pork veal or venison!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,177 Admiral
    I've do something very close but with scallops. :)