Channel Yellowfin...Team Bonnie & Clyde Miami Dolphins Tournament 5/19/12

JohnnyBlackJohnnyBlack Posts: 352 Officer
Figured I'd post this here too for the Tuna Chasers in the channel.

Team Bonnie & Clyde got a special invite to fish on The Hard Rock boat for the Miami Dolphins Tournament. The crew consisted of myself, Will (Bonnie & Clyde), Dave (Superdolph), Thom (Fuzzy Details) and Captain Chris from The Hard Rock boat. With no boundaries in this tournament the plan was to hit the Channel for Tuna. Well we set out and got into the channel when the Port motor starts to shake real bad. We thought maybe we picked up something so we stopped to check it out. Well, it turns out one of the blades on the prop was sheared clean off! We didn't hit anything, it was just gone! So now we have a decision to make, over 60 miles from Port Everglades and 29 miles from West End and we can only do 7 knots with one engine. We make the call to continue to push on towards Grand Bahama. We figured we could check in, get a new prop and still possibly make it back before dark. Several hours later we arrive in Port Lucaya. We locate a new prop, get a fried Lobster lunch, and we're back in business. We get back out into the channel and first pack of birds we drop some livies in. Thom gets hooked up with a huge fish. Definitley a Yellowfin and it's digging hard. About 1 minute in, the fish has spooled my whole Penn 850 down to the end. Smoked the reel! Line pops and that's that...

We worked some more packs with no luck until we came across a huge flock of birds we dialed in on the Garmin 12K HD radar that's on The Hard Rock! That radar on the 29' Sea Vee would make any 60+ Sportfish proud! This time I put the 50w out with a weight and send a bait down. Bam, hooked up! This is a quality fish too, but wasn't gonna smoke my 50 Alutecnos, not if I could help it anyway. I figured it was a 40# fish or so at first. Well after 15 minutes into the fight, the fish really turned on and tried to take me to the bottom of the NW Providence Channel. I increased the heat on him and eventually broke him. We get the fish to the boat and realize it's a little bigger than initially thought, LOL. Dave leadered the fish and Chris stuck him with a perfect steel shot to the head. Fish in the boat and Kaliks all around!! Overall a little slow day but one quality fish saved it. Needless to say, we didn't make it back for the weigh in at the tourney with what might have won single heaviest fish but that's the way it goes...A big congrats to Anthony and Team O-Sea-D with another fine win! Until next time my friend...Here's the pic:

Me with the fish:

Yellowfin fuel:

Dave with the fish:

Will with the fish:

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao
mako-logo.png

Replies

• PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    That's a nice fish JB. Good way to save the day.
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 359 Deckhand
    Good fish
  • CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 863 Officer
    great story cliff and fish too. seems like you often have a mechanical problem in that area :-) glad things worked out for all of you. i didn't know that will smoked cigarettes lol
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.
  • JohnnyBlackJohnnyBlack Posts: 352 Officer
    Man, tell me about it Jeff. Between Will and I, it's been the last 4 trips we've had something go wrong when we head that way...and Will only smokes when he's nervous. lol
    mako-logo.png
  • CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 863 Officer
    despite those setbacks, you guys always seem to prevail and have fun doing so :-) if you ever want to fish on another boat, i would be happy to host the "bonnie and clyde" on my boat. i do carry an extra set of props.
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.
  • Toothy ThangToothy Thang Posts: 1,412 Officer
    Thats a great fish, congrats.. So you found a prop in West End?
  • JohnnyBlackJohnnyBlack Posts: 352 Officer
    Yep, after throwing enough twentys and fiftys around we found a prop AND a wrench, and were back in business. Of course, not before someone dropped the Socket in the drink and then the prop nut! So after going diving twice to find them, we got back on the road...lol, what a mission.
    mako-logo.png
  • Toothy ThangToothy Thang Posts: 1,412 Officer
    lol.. well it worked. That's some good luck.
  • saltygator11saltygator11 Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Nice fish although you stole it from me lol. Left out o there an got a striped one yellow and two blacks. Been pretty slow week