Smoking Chicken

On my new (used) Bradley. Thanks Spin!

Ingredients

_DSC3433.jpg

Everything mixed together.

_DSC3434.jpg

Liberally applied to the whole chicken but just a little on the wings.

_DSC3437.jpg

In the smoker!

_DSC3438.jpg

I'll have more pics when I'm done.
«1

Replies

  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 20,235 AG
    Looks good
    :BUNNY gestapo

  • pointerDixie214pointerDixie214 Posts: 5,658 Admiral
    Sounds good. Be there in 2-3 hours. :grin
    "Her beauty radiated like a beacon from a lighthouse!" - Buddy McCoy :hail
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,321 Admiral
    I'm half smoking half grilling a dozen leg quarters as we speak.
    Using hickory and cooking at 275. Don't feel like doing a long smoke today
    If I say something that offends you, please let me know so I can say it again later

    1322773200_30_1_USD_3.50_default.png
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 20,235 AG
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,669 Admin
    Hey, how come my phone didn't ring?
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 20,235 AG
    Hey, how come my phone didn't ring?

    Pup is mean!
    :BUNNY gestapo

  • hatcityhatcity Posts: 3,080 Captain
    I'm doing one today also.
    Everglades
    250 for three hours
    applewood
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    looks good pup
    we're smoking game hens later, they've been sitting in a citrus brine since last night

    pup, brining them overnight first seals in the juices and makes the birds come out better on the smoker
    No political signature
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    Yum!

    _DSC3439.jpg
    _DSC3440.jpg
  • snookerhookersnookerhooker Posts: 530 Officer
    Looks great
  • Bruce LBBruce LB Posts: 3,604 Captain
    Nice.
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    yum indeed
    No political signature
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    Frank, you are right about brinning. I just did this on the spur of the moment.
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,321 Admiral
    I ended up grilling the quarters for 4 hours. Cooked perfectly
    So much for not doing a long smoke.
    If I say something that offends you, please let me know so I can say it again later

    1322773200_30_1_USD_3.50_default.png
  • FloydFloyd ; in N. Tampa or DownEast MainePosts: 1,093 Officer
    With regards to brining, can someone explain how it makes the meat jucier?
    With brine, the juice(water) should migrate(osmosis) from the meat to the brine solution, making for less juice in the meat?

    Edit: OK, I found the answer on wikipedia:
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    In cooking, brining is a process similar to marination in which meat is soaked in brine before cooking.

    "Brining makes cooked meat moister by hydrating the cells of its muscle tissue before cooking, via the process of osmosis, and by allowing the cells to hold on to the water while they are cooked, via the process of denaturation. The brine surrounding the cells has a higher concentration of salt than the fluid within the cells, but the cell fluid has a higher concentration of other solutes. This leads salt ions to diffuse into the cell, whilst the solutes in the cells cannot diffuse through the cell membranes into the brine. The increased salinity of the cell fluid causes the cell to absorb water from the brine via osmosis. The salt introduced into the cell also denatures its proteins. The proteins coagulate, forming a matrix that traps water molecules and holds them during cooking. This prevents the meat from dehydrating."
    _____________________________________________

    So now that I understand how brining works I can stop my avoidance of it.
    Recording from Moderators annual meeting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuABc9ZNtrA
  • BnTBnT Posts: 6,644 Admiral
    A great feature to add to this forum would be a section called "sportsmans kitchen" mods, lets make it happen!
    "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day... Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard"
    gandrfab wrote: »
    Sharky is always clocky, bnt is sometimes sharky,
    sharky is sometimes bnt, but bnt is never clocky
  • PullinlipPullinlip Posts: 576 Officer
    I like those Bradley smokers. I have an electric, and after having a both a charcoal and a propane, I am now sold on electric smokers. Next step is a Bradley. Do you think it's worth it to get the digital model?
    A village in Ireland has lost their idiot.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Party at Pup's house!
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,321 Admiral
    I guess I'm old school. Lump coal to get the heat going then choice hard woods for flavor
    If I say something that offends you, please let me know so I can say it again later

    1322773200_30_1_USD_3.50_default.png
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    Pullinlip wrote: »
    I like those Bradley smokers. I have an electric, and after having a both a charcoal and a propane, I am now sold on electric smokers. Next step is a Bradley. Do you think it's worth it to get the digital model?

    I don't know because I've only used the digital. I bought it used of Craiglist. I wasn't interested in paying the prices for a new one.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,144 AG
    Floyd wrote: »
    With regards to brining, can someone explain how it makes the meat jucier?
    With brine, the juice(water) should migrate(osmosis) from the meat to the brine solution, making for less juice in the meat?

    Edit: OK, I found the answer on wikipedia:
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    In cooking, brining is a process similar to marination in which meat is soaked in brine before cooking.

    "Brining makes cooked meat moister by hydrating the cells of its muscle tissue before cooking, via the process of osmosis, and by allowing the cells to hold on to the water while they are cooked, via the process of denaturation. The brine surrounding the cells has a higher concentration of salt than the fluid within the cells, but the cell fluid has a higher concentration of other solutes. This leads salt ions to diffuse into the cell, whilst the solutes in the cells cannot diffuse through the cell membranes into the brine. The increased salinity of the cell fluid causes the cell to absorb water from the brine via osmosis. The salt introduced into the cell also denatures its proteins. The proteins coagulate, forming a matrix that traps water molecules and holds them during cooking. This prevents the meat from dehydrating."
    _____________________________________________

    So now that I understand how brining works I can stop my avoidance of it.

    Never have seen the real benefit of brining. No need to add more salt. A little marinading does fine by my book. Chicken does not really benefit from a long "low and slow". 2 1/2 to 3 hours, you should be done. Wife wants it DONE so I usually take mine to 180º internal. Still moist.

    ChickenGrill0010.jpg

    Chickenmoist019.jpg

    And yes Bate, this will find its way to the Kitchen soon. :wink
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Capt'n. ChumbucketCapt'n. Chumbucket Posts: 1,366 Officer
    A sprinkling with the Capt's private beach sand

    A slight wisp o' smoke

    Half with glaze

    done
    Specializing in poor life choices since 1954.
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    I brine chicken, but only briefly. Maybe an hour of so, in heavy salted ice water, rinse, then rub.

    I like the electrics (smokers), but the ones that have a normal wood chip pan. That puck thang looks like a PIA. Mine is a propane, and it took a bit to figger it out, but I can smoke at 175%. I turn it on, set it to low, and once it starts smoking, I turn the knob down on the propane tank CAREFULLY watching the height of the flame. It'd be nice to have a smoke box separate from the smoker. Especially when smoking fish.
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • Capt'n. ChumbucketCapt'n. Chumbucket Posts: 1,366 Officer
    So Pup, where do you buy the rice cakes for your smoker, when you run low? Do they come in assorted flavors? Do you have to split them?
    Specializing in poor life choices since 1954.
  • PullinlipPullinlip Posts: 576 Officer
    The Gander Mountain near me recently started selling Bradley smokers, so I imagine they also sell the rice cakes. Of course, you can buy them online. I would just buy a bunch of them at one time so 'ya don't need to worry about running out.
    A village in Ireland has lost their idiot.
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    Flash wrote: »
    Never have seen the real benefit of brining. No need to add more salt. A little marinading does fine by my book. Chicken does not really benefit from a long "low and slow". 2 1/2 to 3 hours, you should be done. Wife wants it DONE so I usually take mine to 180º internal. Still moist.
    i've smokes with and without brining and have noticed a real difference on the juices of the brined birds
    and when i brine there is citrus (lemon, lime, and orange) juice and zest added to the brine that infuses the birds with that much more flavor
    No political signature
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    frank wrote: »
    i've smokes with and without brining and have noticed a real difference on the juices of the brined birds
    and when i brine there is citrus (lemon, lime, and orange) juice and zest added to the brine that infuses the birds with that much more flavor

    Frank, two words for ya..... "Sour Oranges".
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    got ants? wrote: »
    Frank, two words for ya..... "Sour Oranges".

    sounds like an idea, angel fish (pleas to return) once shared her family mojo marinade with us, dayumn the lost archives, that was awesome for wings and called for sour oranges
    haven't tried that in a brine yet
    No political signature
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    So Pup, where do you buy the rice cakes for your smoker, when you run low? Do they come in assorted flavors? Do you have to split them?

    I bought them online. They come in many flavors. I don't understand "split them".
  • SonOfAGunninSonOfAGunnin Posts: 5,085 Admiral
    I tried smoking a chicken once. Too hard to keep lit.









    :BUNNY
Sign In or Register to comment.