Panama City - Nearshore / Offshore - 5/19

Well, as some of yall probably know it was a bit snotty out there first thing yesterday morning. A bit snotty as in blowing probably 17 or 18. That being said, we cleared the rocks and pointed the boat the way we WANTED to go... straight offshore. After a few miles it was still comfortable (running with them), but fearful that the seabreeze would not combat that offshore breeze as predictred late in the day, we decided to hang a right and run the beach so we wouldn't have to run 20-30 miles straight back into them in the afternoon.

That being said we ended up right off the hill to the west at like 14 miles, an area I haven't fished in years and years. We bumped aorund there for a while and by mid morning the wind was easing and begane to clock some as predicted. We had a copule red grouper in the boat and a trigger or two, but it was slim pickins through there. Found some good breaks, but it was head boat central and beat down.

SO.... we looked at some numbers and notes and decided to make about a 12 mile run due S which put us right above the area I wanted to fish to begin with. Kind of gamble at 11:00 in a slow boat, but we had to make sometihng happen and it looked like the weather was going to work with us.

We made the run and things got a lot better.

Almost true blue water, and lots of life.

Fished three or four spots all in close proximity and at 3:30 started the ride home.

No real "fish of the day" for us... sucks to not have one really noteworthy fish to make the day. We did loose a wahoo at the boat off a flat line (chewed through 31lb steel leader best we can tell), and one knock down on a high speeder. Also had a school of schoolie + sized dolphin that wouldn't chew.

On the way home we ran across of school of smaller dolpin that were hungry, and with a marginal box, we decided to put a little bit of hurtin' on them.

End of day...

9 small red grouper (biggest being 23 or 24")
10 triggers
9 good sized beeliners
15 dolphin

Relased probably 6 keeper gags, biggest being around 14 pounds and a few red snapper that were real pretty... biggest being probably 15 pounds. We were targeting red grouper pretty hard so the snapper weren't too much of a problem for us. Did loose our biggest red grouper of the day to a ***** eater right at the boat. Sucked.

Not the most impressive catch in the world, but like I said, we did choose to abandon our original plan due to weather. I'm out there to have fun, not to get beat up. In retrospect we could have gone to our original area and been just fine. Oh well.

redgrouperinshore.jpg?t=1337527061
redgrouperinshore2.jpg?t=1337527062
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 1,005 Officer
    Nice catch PH. I think you are selling yourself short there a little bit. I'm sure you could have added a few AJ's into the mix if you wanted to....if you wanted to, that dock would be slap full.

I gotta know though, how many red snapper do you wade through on these trips? I know there are billions out there, which is why I don't ever do so well on the RG and triggers. The snapper darn well push me off the holes. Are you just muscling through it and eventually getting what your after or what?

Nice work!
    They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,028 Moderator
    I would have sold my soul for an AJ or two on that trip. We fished HARD yesterday for what we got. Would have loved to bring home a fish that went over 7 or 8 pounds. Most of our red grouper were just a hair over the 20" mark. An AJ would have been awesome just so that we had a "big" fish in the box. Sucks that we lost the wahoo at the boat. That fish would have made the day.

As far as snappers... we had very little problem with them. Reason being, we were targetng red grouper and where they hold typically does not have that many snapper when you're inshore. The ones you do catch when youa are forced to target just red grouper so as not to feed other edible and mature fish to dolphin / sharks (thanks NMFS, Gulf Council and Florida) are typically loners and pretty large. Red grupers are caught in areas, and areas are just that. Snapper are dumb and thrive around relief. They want constant food and constant protection. A red grouper is happy to live in a hole 1/8" bigger than his girth and eat whatever unidentified fish comes by. Targert that critter, and you won't likley see a swarm of snapper.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,792 Captain
    Way to make the best of a marginal weather day!:beer
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    That's a good mixed bag PH80......hell, I have days where it's a struggle to boat anything.

Those Grouper aren't huge, but they are legal. Think of it this way......they will have less worms than the big ones have.

You did good.
    Thanks.

Beck wrote: »
    Those Grouper aren't huge, but they are legal. Think of it this way......they will have less worms than the big ones have.

I thought the same things about the parasites. When we cleaned them I was amazed at how wormy they actually were, though. For the most part they were all barely legal fish, but I think almost every filet had one worm, and some as many as three and I saw one with 4 worms.

Didn't slow down my grouper piccata last night! Unfortunatley we were out of capers. Went to the store and somebody (yours truly) swore we still had some at the house and he chose not to listen to the better half. Was still tasty, though!

grouperpiccata.jpg?t=1337607075
    grouperpiccata2.jpg?t=1337607080
    grouperpiccata3.jpg?t=1337607075
    Thanks.

I thought the same things about the parasites. When we cleaned them I was amazed at how wormy they actually were, though. For the most part they were all barely legal fish, but I think almost every filet had one worm, and some as many as three and I saw one with 4 worms.

Didn't slow down my grouper piccata last night! Unfortunatley we were out of capers. Went to the store and somebody (yours truly) swore we still had some at the house and he chose not to listen to the better half. Was still tasty, though!

grouperpiccata.jpg?t=1337607075
    grouperpiccata2.jpg?t=1337607080
    grouperpiccata3.jpg?t=1337607075

Dude! That looks awesome......I could eat that for breakfast!
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    The young and tender red grouper are the best... The big firetrucks are great for a picture, but are more course and wormy... those smaller ones are just better to eat. It was a great day and thanks for the trip Blair! We know what to do for July 1
    :fishing:grin
    Yeah, July 1 will be pretty easy. It wasn't until the past few years that we've ever "targeted" red grouper; never had the need to, they were really nothing more than gag grouper by catch. Once I'm ALLOWED to fish the way I want to, we'll fill that box up.
    crcattypc wrote: »
    We know what to do for July 1

I will be there for that.....I hope the seas and weather are good!
  • Capt. Mickey LockeCapt. Mickey Locke Posts: 113 Officer
    Nice Box of Fish!