Home Shimano

shimano stradic ci4 4000

Slb9981Slb9981 Posts: 60 Greenhorn
I've had a ci4 4000 for around a year. the thing is smooth as can be until you catch a fish or have grass on the line then it makes a scratchy sandy like noise. I took it apart greased it real well even greased the bearing on the bail wire and it still does it. It's been this way since I've had it. What can I do to fix it?

Replies

• bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    If the reel made noise when you first had it then why didn't you send it in at that time? You will need to send the reel in so we can take a look at it. Here is a link to our repair form and procedure:

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/Repair_Services.html
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    I got the same reel a few months ago. Strange issues.
    Took the reel out. When holding the rod/reel upright, or at a slight angle, i would feel grinding. This would only happen at the point in rotation when the spool was going down. The next day i went and replaced it. Got the new one. Took it out the next day. Sure enough, doing the same thing, this time the griding was worse, and it made some noise sometimes too. Decided to keep it to see if maybe it "broke in". Tried to research everywhere online to see any mention on this, nothing. After 2 more trips, still the same, took it back, got a new one.
    And wouldnt you know it, this one did it as well. All the same things. When the rod was held straight out, flat, it would reel fine. But with the rod tip mostly up, it would grind like that. Now on the 4th one. Had this one for a month now, and it works great. No grinding anywhere, just smooth.

I emailed shimano about it, they said the reel might need shims. Im guessing under the worm gear. Im not familiar with how these worm gear reels work, but from the little i do know about them, it seems like a little shim might prop the shaft up a bit to rid the grinding.

Either way, i didnt feel like the reel should be doing that, and it took me 3 returns to get one that feels like everyone says it should. But im happy with it now.
    The worm shaft and pawl can be adjusted with shims to change the feel. There are acceptable limits to the feel/sound according to our QC department. Our techs spend a little more time playing with the adjustments to make the reel feel better if they come in for repair. The older reels with the slow oscillation masked the feel in a way because it moved slower. The new oscillation is 2 speed (fast up, slow down) which makes it a little more challenging when trying to make the oscillation smooth.
  • Slb9981Slb9981 Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Honestly, it was the first nice reel I bought and I ordered it online (won't do that again for this very reason). Really didn't want to send it back to them. The reel is super smooth except when I have a fish on so I just lived with it since it was my go to reel because I didn't want to be without it. Picked up a sustain fg this past weekend and a g loomis pro green rod so I have another go to outfit and can finally send this one in. I checked I ordered the ci4 from tackle direct may 9 2011 so I'm about 2 weeks out of warranty. I'm going to send it in tomorrow and hopefully they can get it squared away.
    We're pretty lenient with the warranty. Just make sure you include a copy of the receipt with the reel.
    thats funny. usually when i buy reels, i ask to see several, so i can feel them out. And i did that with the first 3 reels. They felt nice in the store, but once you have the line through the guides, and some weight at the end, it changes.

So when i went to replace the 3rd, i just told the rep i was replacing it, he went to the back, grabbed one, i swapped spools, put it back in the box, and walked out. And this is the one that feels great.

I might just take the first reel i get in the future. And not go through a few.
  • Slb9981Slb9981 Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    I already mailed it before I saw your post about including the receipt but I did put on the form that I purchased it last may. If you want I can email it to you. Thanks.
    I'll be out of the office. You can call our customer service number and they will provide you with the correct person to email with the receipt. 877-577-0600
    Got to see what the "repairable drag clicker" was all about the other day. Fighting a big cuda, took off, drag screaming, then nothing. Thought i had a bait caster for a second. Drag still worked good, no clicks. Took the spool off, pushed the clicker back around 180, and all is well. Repaired. Nice little thing there. Got kinda worried for a minute. Thought i was gonna be taking the reel back to BPS to get a new one.
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    Hey guys, was doing a search on this issue and found this post. I am having the same exact issues with my Stradic CI4 4000. I bought mine in April of last year, and it didn't do it right away, but it is certainly doing it now. Anytime there is any tension on the line the noise gets worse. The reel feels fine, just noisy as heck. It sounds kinda like a grinding sound, or that there's grit inside there (best way to explain it). I do a lot of wade fishing, and am rougher on my gear than some folks I'm sure, but I'm not commercial fishing or chartering. I love the reel, and certainly want to get it corrected. I will be contacting Shimano soon to try and get it mitigated. I just wanted to add to this post in the event someone else out there is having the issue. I know I am very happy that I found it. Thanks guys!
    Your issue sounds like the line roller bearing. Try running the reel with no line through it and see if you hear the same noise. If not then this is the line roller bearing.
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    Thanks Bantam, that was indeed it! That bearing sounds pretty crunchy indeed. This is a first for me with Shimano roller bearings. Glad I checked back before I sent the reel off. This is certainly the path of least resistance. Thanks again for your response. Tight lines!
    The line roller bearing is the fi5rst one to get all the grit and saltwater. Now you know that you have to keep an eye on it. Just clean and lubricate it every so often.
  • YakkingdanYakkingdan Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    hey i got mine a little over a year ago and mine, to did the same thing, got an exchange on it and this one was fine for about a month and then it started do the same thing( grinding) so i called shimano and they sent me a replacement bearing..... the one that goes on the guide roller... that fixed it but now im over a year in and yesterday i was out in my yak off sanibel island and bout 3 hours in it started again.....when i got home i disassembled the reel and cleaned all the crap that was in there and there was alot of crap in there...... problem solved
    I would clean the guide bearing with a q tip and a little alcohol as well as the parts that are in there and set the bearing on the side and drop 1 drop of shimanos oil on it and let it sit for a few and then i use about 1 drop on the rest of the assembly and put it all back together..
    also already stated braided line holds water and will wisk more of it off on to your real there for you will need to do more cleaning!! and it is also flat and when it rolls it can make the reel feel like it is grinding when all it really is is the line rolling over or twisting or untwisting
    hope any of this might help you and if not good luck

Slb9981 wrote: »
    I've had a ci4 4000 for around a year. the thing is smooth as can be until you catch a fish or have grass on the line then it makes a scratchy sandy like noise. I took it apart greased it real well even greased the bearing on the bail wire and it still does it. It's been this way since I've had it. What can I do to fix it?
  • PdchicoPdchico Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Bantam1 what are the dimensions of the bearing for the line roller in the ci4 4000?
    It should be 8 x 5 x 2mm (OD x ID x W)
  • mcacorsemcacorse Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Bantam1

How much play should the spool have vertically on the Ci4 rotor. I know it is a floating rotor, but mine has about 1/4 inch of play. Is this normal and within tolerances ?

Thx
    The play in the spool shaft is normal because of the osicllation design (worm shaft type). If you make it too tight it will bind under heavy loads.