Pork Ribs on the smoker

morrowmorrow Posts: 553 Officer
New the world of smoking, although have great success with ribs and chicken. Have a simple electric smoker would to try something a little different ,with the ribs, any suggestions would be appreciated.
'"This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in. "
— Theodore Roosevelt

Replies

• JohnnyBlackJohnnyBlack Posts: 352 Officer
    I rub them down and then I usually smoke them for 3 hours then cover in foil and go another 2-3 hours. Use low heat ~200-215 degrees. I like using Applewood for ribs.Take them off, brush with sauce and then put on the grill to caramelize on both sides for about 5 minutes per side.
    mako-logo.png
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Orange wood works well also and is pretty easy to find here in Florida.
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    JB has you on the right tract.

I personally don't foil mine, I let them go the whole time, and skip the grilling. Either will return good results.

I like a dry rub with no sauce on the ribs. If you want sauce, do it when they are done as the sugar will burn.

Any of the fruit woods will give good results. I use eastern black cherry....I can get it easily.

Good luck!
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Weird ones I have done.

Ribs with coconut milk maranade with hot peppers, then palm sugar and grated coconut meat and smoked.

Ribs rubbed with brinani mix(Indian flavor set) light smoke.

This was top secret, use wet or dry liquid malt extract(Home Brewing Stuff) as your sugar in a rub of if wet in sauce.

If you try beef, hit the coco power hard.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,120 AG
    Ribsfallapart0077.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • morrowmorrow Posts: 553 Officer
    Thanks for all the suggestions, picked up some orange wood yesterday.
    Headed to market this morning for some coconut milk for my marinade, and palm sugar.
    Heating up the smoker tomorrow.
    '"This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in. "
    — Theodore Roosevelt