Why is it that an FS employee is allowed to swipe a recipe from a forum member

CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
And publish it in the magazine as his own?

Integrity anyone?:huh
FS Forum member since January 4, 2003
Member #12478
Not a Jew

Replies

• rbricklerbrickle Posts: 239 Officer
    Calusa, The light bulb has finally lite up for you. These Bas**** are using the members for their own gain.....:nono

Just sayin'.

Get well Reck. We love ya.... :thumbsup
    The Forgotten Coast

PICT0143-1.jpg
  • rbricklerbrickle Posts: 239 Officer
    :huh

723 users and nobody gives a crap about FS kitchen..

Just Sayin' We love ya Reck......
    The Forgotten Coast

PICT0143-1.jpg
  • JohnnyBlackJohnnyBlack Posts: 352 Officer
    Someone enlighten me as to what happened? A writer claimed a members recipe as their own in the mag? That's messed up if so. What recipe? what member? Reck? Sorry for my ignorance...
    mako-logo.png
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,121 AG
    You get the magazine??!! :huh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    I do. Once a month.
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,121 AG
    I don't so what was the recipe and who's was it originally? And are you sure it was an Original. I copy recipes all the time off the web, altering them a bit, here and there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Looking for an authentic, certified response from FS. Not holding my breath either.
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • FS DavidFS David Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Calusa,

What recipe are you talking about?
    Grouper Cheek Tacos.

A long-time and respected FS Forum member posted his recipe in here, and next thing you know a certain captain advised that he was going to feature the recipe in the may FS issue - HIS recipe.

Are recipes shared on here like jokes, i.e. you hear a joke from one guy, and to the next guy you see it's "hey, I got a joke for you". ?
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    Calusa wrote: »
    And publish it in the magazine as his own?

Integrity anyone?:huh

Don't get your panties in a wad Julia Child. They'll step and do the right thing. :hungry
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • FS DavidFS David Posts: 297 Deckhand
    I don't know the post by the member that you're talking about, but I do know that Tommy Thompson had the idea for the grouper cheek story at least as early as January of this year, maybe December. We actually kicked up the idea with him because of some conversations we were having with another FS contributor about using fish ribs, throats, bellies and cheeks. Could it be a coincidence of timing?

I can guarantee you that no one on our staff or among the contributors is trying to con material from this website for the magazine. We are trying to contribute good original stuff to the website and help out members however we can.

But we do try to highlight or showcase good stuff from the Forum and put it on the website, as you know, and I know this kind of community content on this website, or other websites which do it (and many major websites do it) can strike people as kind of funny, maybe awkward. For instance, if I take a good looking recipe on a Forum post and put it up on the Kitchen page, I always include the name of the member and the link to the thread, but I post it up there with my name because I'm the guy who took it off the Forum, so if there's any problems people can contact me directly.

As for how recipes get shared between people, I think they are shared pretty freely. I'd be pretty upset if we published anything in the magazine that someone in the Forum created, without talking to them and giving them credit and payment, of course.
    I was a freelance writer for a long time before starting here in the FS Office, and freelancers who con stuff don't last long out there. It's a very tough field. Tommy is a really well-respected pro, both as a photographer and as a writer. I stand behind everything that he does.

But I understand your concern about this general area of web vs. magazine content, and it's something we talk a lot about here in the office. In this case of the grouper cheeks, I think Tommy had the idea for the story on his own.

Also, I'm glad you still get the magazine. I wish more Forum members did.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    I doubt much in food hasn't been done by others with out knowing of each other. Besides recipes are just that, it the technque and the freshness of the ingreadents that matters. Heck and ok recipe has less then 10 ingreadents and any great recipe has less than 7. If I use someone elses recipe and we do a head to head and the crowd likes mine better, who wins the pepsi challange?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    I have some original recipes that I created, and it is just because of this, that I do not post them up.

Common stuff like smoked fish et al, yeah, I'll post that up, but not stuff that may one day go in my own cookbook.
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • ledslinger29ledslinger29 Posts: 837 Officer
    I saw the recipe in the magazine, and it looked tasty. I actually tore the page out to save the recipe, but I shot the cheeks out of the last couple grupas that happened by, so I haven't had the chance to try it yet....