Stuffed Flounder Advice II

Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
Since the first stuffed flounder thread got to be so long, I thought I'd offer up this possibility in a new thread. It is basically the same recipe as Stuffed Flounder Advice (SFA I) except for the inherent flavor of the stuffing.

One of the best meals I have had in my life, was at a beachside restaurant on the island of Koh Chang in Thailand. It was a seafood curry served over rice. I can understand some people being a little apprehensive as I was too. Curry + fresh seafood sounds like a disaster, since most of us are only familiar with the Indian and mid-east curries, which have a pretty strong flavor...and fresh seafood is (should be) just the opposite. So I sort of half-prepared myself for a plate of curry flavored rice.

Well, lemme tell y'all......THIS WAS FANTASTIC!!!!! The curry was a Thai yellow curry, which is very mild. All the flavors of the various components of the seafood came through and the dish was impeccable.

So when I saw the array of seafood in the SFA I thread, I immediately thought that all those components would go well with the Thai yellow curry. I have since found a small tin of the stuff in an Asian market, but haven't tried it yet.

So imagine that flavor in your stuffing the next time you think about stuffing a flounder...or any fish for that matter. Clearly some experimentation is called for here.....maybe some of you with more "curry experience" can chime in and give your thoughts. But I know I am going to be trying it.

One thing I have already thought of, if the right consistancy can be had (semi-thick paste), would be to brush it all ove the inside of the fish before adding the stuffing. This would certainly infuse the flavor during cooking.
.......Rick

Replies

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    Hey, I'm with you 100%.

Here's some red snapper that I did in the heat of the summer last year. Served it over some kind of rice that my wife gets from the local Asian market... flavor of sticky rice, but no stick.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?1946-Red-Snapper-Curry-8-75-10&highlight=curry+snapper

The recipe is Cat Cora's and it is really good. Anytime you can eat curry in the middle of summer after fising all day, you know it's fairly light. Goes will with just about any white wine or beer.

Here's the recipe. I have also substituted fish with venison chunks (cover them in green oinons, curry, salt, just like receip) and crock pot them all day before adding to EVOO, onions, tomatos.

I also use way more cilantro at the end that is called for, and not only to I dice the whites of the green onions, but I also include about 2" piecces of the green part.

Also... if you can't find scotch bonnets, habeneros work just fine. I think for 3-4 BIG servings I used approximately two average sized habeneros.

Oh, and I never covered the dish after brining all ingredients together. If anyting, her recipe is a bit too watery (I can't believe it calls for a cup of water). I bring to a simmer and then let cook until onions are soft and it is the consistency that I'm looking for.

I also used a litte more garlic than she called for and I think added the garlic and scotch bonnets with the fish and EVOO, not with the roughly chopped tomatos / onions / coconut milk. I usually try to use my most flavorful ingredients (garlic, habenero) in first with the EVOO to really get their oils out THEN add my waters, tomoatos, etc.

ENOUGH... here...

Recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cat-cora/curried-red-snapper-recipe/index.html

Oh, and I do NOT add the one cup of water. I thinkt ht would be a big mistake. After doing it once with fish, I also decided to start covering the fish before work and leaving in friedge for 6-10 hours as opposed to the one that's called for. I would also recommend going with a name brand coconut milk.

I agree that it sounds kind of iffy, but this stuff was good! I'd like to do it with some more firm (like cobia, AJ, dolphin, wahoo) and maybe adding some squid and shrimp some time.

2 pounds red snapper fillets
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 scallions, chopped
    2 tablespoons curry powder
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 to 2 Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and chopped
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    2 cups coconut milk
    1 cup water
    2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
    2 onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
    10 cilantro sprigs
    Directions
    Cut the red snapper into small pieces and place in a bowl. Season with the salt, black pepper, scallion, and curry powder.

Allow the fish to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.

When you are ready to proceed, heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan. Add the fish and saute until it is lightly browned on both sides. Add the peppers, garlic, coconut milk, water, tomatoes, and onions. Cover the fish and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer until the fish is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Also, add a touch more curry, if necessary, for your taste. Finish with fresh cilantro leaves
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Wow.....just reading the ingredients....I can't wait to try this. Agree with you too 100% on the firmer fish.

Wow II.....Imagine the fish salad to be made with the leftovers the next day!!!!
    .......Rick