Cornell spatchcocked chicken AKA Yankee grilled chicken

capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
Seen the recipe on TV and tried it a week ago. It really works well. The actuall story behind "cornell chicken " is interesting what with the inventor being a Cornell university food professor back in the '40's when this recipe was invented for a state fair.

2 chickens with back removed (spatchcocked ? ) and laid flat.
3 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/4 - 1/3 cup salt
2 quarts water

Seasoning

1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (or what you like)
salt and pepper 2 teaspoon each

Sauce ..

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 cup olive oil

Mix the seasoning together and set aside.
Combine the cider,water,salt and wisk to combine. Put chickens in a bowl and cover with the brine for no more than 2 hours in fridge.

Put all sauce ingredients except olive oil in blender and process adding olive oil slowly at end while processing. This is for basting.

Remove chicken from brine and pat dry and season with mix. Place skin side up on indirect heat of preheated grill and baste with sauce.cook covered.
When bottom is brown and internal reads 120 (about 30 min) and after basting 1/2 way through . Flip over and re-baste continue cook untill skin is crisp and internals are correct (170 thigh) about 25 more min. rest for 5 - 15 min.

original recipe used an egg instead of the dijon mustard in the basting sauce ?? That I did not try ..
"You'll get your weather"

Replies

• TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    :ttiwwop

Sounds great, I used to do that in a cast iron that one small chicken would fit perfectly
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
    I know , no pics , but after I seen Allenr post about the split chicken thing I had to share..
    "You'll get your weather"