Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

Goliath grouper reef vacuums!

OUTTA LINEOUTTA LINE Junior MemberJacksonville, FLPosts: 28 Greenhorn
Does any body know if there is any thing in the works for a season or tag program for goliath groupers aka jew fish? I am sure they are far from endangered and eating up every thing on the wrecks.

Replies

  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Senior Member Lower Keys Offshore!Posts: 2,608 Captain
    OUTTA LINE wrote: »
    Does any body know if there is any thing in the works for a season or tag program for goliath groupers aka jew fish? I am sure they are far from endangered and eating up every thing on the wrecks.

    At the SAFMC mtg in Key West, there was discussion about moving forward with taking them off endangered status and looking to start doing studies on a limited "take". I would expect that this will be off in the distant future as there are more important things going on.

    FWIW...They are not eating up everything on the wrecks. They don't have the capability (speed) to chase down all the species that anglers complain they are "wiping-out" from the reefs/wrecks. They do take the ones you have on your line, but it's only because you have slowed it or stopped it, thereby making it so that a slow GG can get it.

    :cool:

    Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com


    Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Captain
    There's been lots and lots of threads on this topic (most, unfortunatley lost to us after the recent crash). Here's a thread that was recent enough that it missed the wipeout... http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?1315-Fishermen-unhappy-as-giant-grouper-makes-comeback!

    The real difficulty in doing anything about goliaths is that they're protected both under state and FEDERAL rules. The state will do the research and make reasonable recommendations. The feds on the other hand will act emotionally since most on that end of the regulation business aren't exactly sympathetic to angling, period. Of course, that's just my opinion (and I hope many reach the same conclusion...).

    2012, it just can't come soon enough!
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Senior Member SebastianPosts: 21,265 AG
    Like anything....sensible bag limit with realistic science based slot size limit and they will be fine.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Key LimeKey Lime Senior Member Southeast of DisorderPosts: 356 Deckhand
    I would like to see a limited take allowed, with a tiered fee. Maybe a $100 tag for a 50-100lb jewfish, $200 for a 101-200lb'er, etc. Limited number of tags allowed per licensed angler. Tahs for Gators seem to work pretty well. I'm sure that Lemay and others who see them regularly could help to refine the plan; I don't bump into them so often. The no-take is becoming absurd, but I'm certain that if we simply opened it up, we'd decimate the stocks in no time at all. Would like to hear more thoughts on this, as I wouldn't mind paying to catch one.
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Senior Member Lower Keys Offshore!Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Key Lime wrote: »
    The no-take is becoming absurd, but I'm certain that if we simply opened it up, we'd decimate the stocks in no time at all. Would like to hear more thoughts on this, as I wouldn't mind paying to catch one.

    They are pretty easy to target, which is what would make a wide open "take" of them hard for me to support. I'm pretty sure if you want to go out and "catch" one, you can probably get some reliable info without having to "pay". ;)

    Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com


    Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • DougDoug Senior Member Ellenton, FLPosts: 172 Deckhand
    Got TA Go wrote: »
    At the SAFMC mtg in Key West, there was discussion about moving forward with taking them off endangered status and looking to start doing studies on a limited "take". I would expect that this will be off in the distant future as there are more important things going on.

    FWIW...They are not eating up everything on the wrecks. They don't have the capability (speed) to chase down all the species that anglers complain they are "wiping-out" from the reefs/wrecks. They do take the ones you have on your line, but it's only because you have slowed it or stopped it, thereby making it so that a slow GG can get it.

    :cool:

    Rob

    I know for a fact that they can catch Grouper and Mangos without being on a line seen it on many videos on Jewfish yeah I said it
  • lonesouthlonesouth Member TallahasseePosts: 38 Deckhand

    I understand that it was on a line...but it wasn't exactly slow either...
  • nicknick Senior Member Crystal RiverPosts: 5,062 Admiral
    Doubt they ever get anything settled on bag/tag limits so...What about wrapping a good size bonita in about 500 treble hooks. Feed him his last meal
  • Key LimeKey Lime Senior Member Southeast of DisorderPosts: 356 Deckhand
    Got TA Go wrote: »
    They are pretty easy to target, which is what would make a wide open "take" of them hard for me to support. I'm pretty sure if you want to go out and "catch" one, you can probably get some reliable info without having to "pay". ;)

    Rob
    Rob, I'm definitely NOT supporting open take on GGs. And when I said that I'd pay to catch, I should have said "Keep". I can drop a bait at a bunch of spots and count on hooking a GG. Just wouldn't mind buying a tag for a keeper, if the money went for fisheries research, etc.
  • GT FishGT Fish Senior Member J-TownPosts: 9,448 Officer
    Spearing them is way to easy..
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Senior Member Lower Keys Offshore!Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Doug wrote: »
    I know for a fact that they can catch Grouper and Mangos without being on a line seen it on many videos on Jewfish yeah I said it

    I'd like to see the video if you hvae a link. In a "research" take, they caught and opened up some Jewfish (GGs) down here. The stomach contents were primarily Lobster and Crabs with a few fish small fish species.

    Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com


    Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • surfmansurfman Senior Member WC FLPosts: 6,017 Admiral
    There is no way a goliath can run down any free swimming grouper or snapper, no way, unless the target fish is sick or injured. Those fish will swim circles around his head while he chases them. They mainly feed at night because they are stealth feeders, lie in wait. I am sure that occasionally they get a grouper or snapper but most of the time they feed on crustaceans and lobster at night is probably their main diet. Of course man has changed all that with hooked fish that become easy prey, and no one likes having their catch stolen. I would support a limited take on goliaths, for sure. They are great eating.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Senior Member Lower Keys Offshore!Posts: 2,608 Captain
    lonesouth wrote: »

    I understand that it was on a line...but it wasn't exactly slow either...

    Small shark like that, held in a 6' radius circle...Advantage: GG

    Even with the advatage the GG had....How many times did the shark get away? And that was while being held at the surface, hooked, leaning to one side. That GG would have no chance at catching that shark in open water. And that is/was a small, "faster" GG.

    Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com


    Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • remyremy Member Posts: 30 Deckhand
    We were out yesterday & couldn't get away from hooking Goliaths. Water depth= 20' to 50' At on time we had three on at the same time. They definatly have an effect on the fishing of all other species.
    I seriously doubt that a season of any kind would ever be opened?
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Senior Member Posts: 2,314 Captain
    When will fishermen start bangsticking everyone they can pull to the surface, and then letting it sink?
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Digital Now Included!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

Preview This Month's Issue

Buy Digital Single Issues

Don't miss an issue.
Buy single digital issue for your phone or tablet.

Buy Single Digital Issue on the Florida Sportsman App

Other Magazines

See All Other Magazines

Special Interest Magazines

See All Special Interest Magazines

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Florida Sportsman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement

Phone Icon

Get Digital Access.

All Florida Sportsman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets.

To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine.

Get Digital Access

Not a Subscriber?
Subscribe Now