Sea Trout

tarawatarawa Posts: 152 Deckhand
I am new to saltwater fishing but I like to eat at least one fish that I catch. When I asked my friend about eating the sea trout that he catches, he really didn't recommend it. He said to stick with redfish and snook. I have eaten small sea trout from North Carolina and Deleware, so what about the Florida sea trout? I thought that they were the same. Please note that my wife about threw me out of the house for cooking up some rank wild hog....live and learn I guess.
Life Is For Service

Replies

• ChumSlickChumSlick Posts: 252 Officer
    Specks have a very soft texture. And are full of worms. If you do go with the trout I cut them into nuggets and Stokes them in buttermilk over night to firm up the meat. The worms wont hurt you. A few min. In the fryer and you don't even know they are there...
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,120 AG
    I wouldn't say FULL of worms, but you will see some, but they do not harm you. Here is another way to prepare them. Section your fillets and get a medium to large bowl, depending on how many fillets. Throw a few ice cubes in the bowl, then some fillets and add a sprinkle of sea salt. Cover with a few cubes of ice. More fillets, more ice, more sea salt. Continue on and then place bowl in fridge. You want to give the trout a minimum of two hours like this. Make sure you pour off any water that eventually melts from the ice and add some more ice when needed. You can actually leave the trout like this for up to 6 hours.
    When ready to fry, lightly coat the fish with mayonnaise. We like Pankow, Japanese bread crumbs. Place fillets in a bag of Pankow and shake up good. Use something like Peanut or Canola oil to fry the fish and make sure it is hot before starting (a drop of water in oil will tell you). Never use vegetable oil. Fish will taste great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Never tried that.do you rinse the salt off before coating? A light seasoning of salt or enough to pull moisture?
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Funny, my wife loves the wild hog and won't let trout in the house! I like Flash's method and use salting and brining on other species although I've never tried in in ice like that. In salt brine, I do rinse and then thoroughly pat dry prior to preparing.
  • BColleyBColley Posts: 419 Officer
    I just filet them put on a grill pan or tin foil. A little olive oil, and whatever seasoning you like then grill. I think they are delicious. I haven't seen any worms in any of the ones I've cleaned.
    JBC

Chaos Tarpon Bay
    Ocean Master 31
    BColley wrote: »
    I just filet them put on a grill pan or tin foil. A little olive oil, and whatever seasoning you like then grill. I think they are delicious. I haven't seen any worms in any of the ones I've cleaned.
    I didn't notice them didn't even know they would have them until someone posted about it. Then I started looking and found 5 in the last one I filleted. Kinda killed my appetite for them. I haven't found the in the reef and offshore fish....yet.
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,029 Officer
    Trout are delicious and don't need much fuss to cook.

Like some said above, they are a soft meat, which lends itself to batter dipping:

Make a beer batter with one part flour to one part beer (I favor Coors Light) until it's about like pancake batter.
    Dredge the filets in flour, then into the batter.
    Fry with about an inch of oil, like halfway up the filet (the 'topside' of the filet should be out of the oil).
    Fry until both sides are golden brown.
    (Add your own seasonings along the way, I like simple salt and black pepper)

Trout was the #1 fish to catch and eat when I was a young'un. If I see any worms at all, the fish goes in the trash. Most do not have any worms.
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    This is the only way I fry any fish...

Soak fillets in an ice bath and a small bottle of Tabasco (you won't taste heat, just the flavor) while heating the oil in a large cast iron skillet.
    When peanut oil is hot (around 365) fry a pound of bacon in the oil.
    Drain fish and sprinkle both sides of fillets with salt and pepper.
    Coat with seasoned mix of flour and corn meal.
    Drink beer and eat bacon while fish is frying.
  • tarawatarawa Posts: 152 Deckhand
    When i first got married about 35 years ago, I convinced my farm girl wife to cook up some fish. She went to the store and bought fresh cod filets. When she opened the package, she found the fish crawling with what looked like tape worms. She was grossed out and returned the fish to the store. The grocer said that worms were normal in ocean fish. Well 35 years later I finally got her to eat fish again. Cant chance that again!
    Life Is For Service
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    At a chinese buffet yesterday I swore I was eating whole fryed butterfish. So you can eat the bait also.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,029 Officer
    I've heard that the worms are edible, and I believe it too. But I ain't eatin' fish with worms in it.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,770 Captain
    I like smoking the trout also. Comes off firm and tastes great...
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • SeeingRedSeeingRed Posts: 312 Officer
    Just cooked up a big trout yesterday for dinner. A little butter, some extra virgin olive oil, lemon slices and a little everglades seasoning. Wrap it in foil and stick it on the grill.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,627 Captain
    I've heard that the worms are edible, and I believe it too. But I ain't eatin' fish with worms in it.

This^ I won't even handle a worm infested trout. No way I'm eating one.

When I catch one I just cut the lure/hook off...
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    AJ's are flush with worms as well. The smaller ones are usua;;y safe, the larger ones are gross as hell.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,120 AG
    ChumSlick wrote: »
    Never tried that.do you rinse the salt off before coating? A light seasoning of salt or enough to pull moisture?

Sorry I missed this. No, just a sprinkle of salt and we do a light rinse and pat dry before adding mayo and Pankow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    Togam wrote: »
    This^ I won't even handle a worm infested trout. No way I'm eating one.

When I catch one I just cut the lure/hook off...
    ssabmud, tghir
  • mako191mako191 Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    I have never found worms in the trout I clean even though I have heard the rumor for years, if they are there they taste good. trout is a sweet tasting fish good grilled or fried
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,627 Captain
    T Top wrote: »
    ssabmud, tghir

ssa ym ssik
  • T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    Togam wrote: »
    ssa ym ssik

:rotflmao