best shot at BIG Blackfins

Okay, if I'm going after Blackfins, and I want to get some of those BIG ones I keep seeing and hearing about, what's my best tactic?

I catch tons of the little footballs up to about 10# on the troll, but I really want a 30#'er.

Live chumming, chunking, deep jigging? Drift or anchor? I assume 20-30# mono with 30# fluoro leader, is that right?

And if I'm out of LWI, where should I fish for them? What depths? How deep- bottom, middle, flatlines?

Would love it if you experienced guys would point me in the right direction! I fish 95% catch and release, so I won't hog all your fish!
Knowing is half the battle. The other half is violence.

9 out of 10 times alcohol IS the answer.

Replies

• soflah3soflah3 Posts: 589 Officer
    We have done well with the bigger ones with live bait and BIG butterfly jigs in yellow and orange. Typically in a bit deeper water (190-250) Fluoro is definitely a plus on live bait and a must when jigging. We caught this one two years ago at the beginning of July in 230 pretty much straight out of the Lake Worth inlet.

t3.jpg
  • Brand HBrand H Posts: 259 Officer
    Live chumming is a great way if you can get a bunch of smallish baits. Anchor, floro, and chum won't hurt. May-July is your best bet. Be prepared for an onslaught of bone heads.
    9639-1.jpg?t=1307463973Wahoo11-11-07017-1.jpg

Life is on the wire...the rest is just waiting.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,663 Captain
    i caught a 35# + a month or so ago. i started a motorless drift on the edge at dusk, let out two lines 100 feet or so back using the outrigger to spread them out and a third line just about 30 feet back in the middle. fluoro tied directly to the main double line. small gamakatsu hook through a large pilchard's nose. two bags of chum going. in 2 drifts, caught the large BFT, a smaller one and a sail. low light is critical and no noise are critical.

kite fishing is also a fantastic method for large BFTs.

• jah sonjah son Posts: 236 Officer
    Thanks for all the advice!
    Knowing is half the battle. The other half is violence.

9 out of 10 times alcohol IS the answer.
  • Goin RaptorGoin Raptor Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    We tend to do better south of LWI. Anywhere in from 300 ft to the edge, and sometimes right in with the bonito. Live chum, kites, and light terminal tackle like most are saying. A big BFT can eat a big bait like a goggle eye so don't think you necessarily have to scale EVERYTHING down, but it definitely will increase your bites (and you'll eventually get a big one).
  • Stetson LawStetson Law Posts: 489 Deckhand
    We tend to do better south of LWI. Anywhere in from 300 ft to the edge, and sometimes right in with the bonito. Live chum, kites, and light terminal tackle like most are saying. A big BFT can eat a big bait like a goggle eye so don't think you necessarily have to scale EVERYTHING down, but it definitely will increase your bites (and you'll eventually get a big one).

You are on point with the big bait comment. Hint, big blackfins love big baits, even bigger than goggle eyes...