Need light tackle spinning reel recommendations

2»

Replies

• Snook ManSnook Man Posts: 207 Officer
    They also have a lot of sales going on for the sustain right now too. Can't wait to see it and the other new products coming out.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,363 Captain
    Snook Man wrote: »
    Can't wait to see it and the other new products coming out.

Daiwa is finally bringing over the new saltiga spinner and certate. You might forget all about a new sustain when you get a peek at those.
  • thinfisherthinfisher Posts: 326 Officer
    Have heard lots of good things about the Okuma "Cedros" 40 and 80 reels....awesome drag systems and used exclusively by Capt. Scott Walker in the Keys. The "Makira" also has received good reviews by lots who fish them tough...Just Sayin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Family, Friends and the Outdoors - Obama = PRICELESS
  • FlatoutventuresFlatoutventures Posts: 224 Officer
    For $100 the Penn battle is the best reel for the money period. Just bought 4 of them 3000 - 8000 series. I have several Stardics, Diawas etc..... all $150 and up and the Battles are as solid as any $150 reel. I guarantee you wil see the Battle go up $10 a year until hey hit the $150 mark. Rods St Croix and Falcon.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    I am late posting on this, and I do not know what line test you are talking about, when you say "light tackle." It means different things to different people.

But I just bought 2 Shimano Sedona 2500's....for several reasons, but they hold 200 yds. of 6 lb. line, which is plenty for the 4 lb. and-under, bonefish that are most often seen in Mexico. On top of that, many of the permit are the same size. I just like to give a fish a chance, if possible.

Problem is that these reels are billed as fresh water reels....but I am wondering if that is more or less just due to their size. That and there are only about 3 ball bearings in them, as opposed to the hundreds you get with a top end salt water reel.

But sometimes these reels have essentially the same quality components and tolerances as their more expensive counterparts, and we shall see. Because it befell my lady friend to use these outfits, while we were in Xcalak and wouldn't you know? she stumbled on some coral and completely submerged one of the reels. I rinsed it off the best I could, under the shower that day, but that is all, since I had no tools with me. Normally I would completely dismantle a reel after a similar incident.

The reel worked perfectly the next day, which is a good sign. I have seen other reels freeze up, overnight.

So now I am home and I am not going to do anything special to this reel.....just to see what happens. It only cost $60 and maybe it will last. If it does, we have another less expensive reel to use in the salt.
    .......Rick
  • Tarpon NoleTarpon Nole Posts: 1,857 Officer
    permit rat: IMO, I think as the new top of the line models come out, the lower tier just inherit the older top of the line innards.

the "new" saros is the "old stradic" etc etc

but I could be way off here
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 626 Officer
    Snook Man wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they are coming out with a new Sustain?

Looks like Tackle Warehouse is pre-selling them. Sustain FG:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_Sustain_Spinning_Reels_FG/descpage-SSFG.html
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    permit rat: IMO, I think as the new top of the line models come out, the lower tier just inherit the older top of the line innards.

the "new" saros is the "old stradic" etc etc

but I could be way off here

Not really, for instance the Saros has a different body than the Sustain and Stradic and is missing the oil port (which is worthless IMO).Any spinner below a Saros is missing (Direct Drive Mechanism , Thread In Handle Attachment) then you get into the different Aero wraps (line lay).
    As far as being freshwater/saltwater if you look under features on the shimano web site , you will see that every reel they make is "approved for saltwater".
    I don't know what qualifies one as "offshore" and the others not ?
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    johnD wrote: »
    As far as being freshwater/saltwater if you look under features on the shimano web site , you will see that every reel they make is "approved for saltwater".

That certainly is good news!! Don't know how I missed that in the site, but I had purchased the reels before going to the site anyway, so.....
    ANYWAY......I have been back from Xcalak for about 2 weeks now and I just went downstairs to check both outfits. The submerged reel performed just as well as the one that did not go swimming, so I am truly elated. Now I will go about cleaning both reels prior storage.
    .......Rick
  • GabiJohnsonGabiJohnson FloridaPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    For around $100 the Penn Battle is a very nice reel.
  • MayaWilsonMayaWilson RichlandPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    I like the Saros , Stradics and Spheros..St.Croix Tidemaster or St.Croix Avid Inshore.7'6" medium fast or medium light fast.
  • JoshFergusonJoshFerguson FloridaPosts: 12 Greenhorn
    if you hold out for a little longer, shimano is coming out with the new stradic fj.
    they will be dumping the fi's which were recently as low as $99.