What's the real story about big Kings?

Is it true that big Kings are potentially toxic? More than one person has told me the big ones have dangerously high levels of Iodine, and the FWC says don't eat them too often for Mercury and heavy metals, etc. and women who are or might get pregnant shouldn't eat them at all.

I don't know if any of that is true, exaggerated, or just superstition, but with my wife pregnant I looked it up and since then I only eat the little ones, if any.

Anyone know what the real story is? :confused:
Knowing is half the battle. The other half is violence.

9 out of 10 times alcohol IS the answer.

Replies

  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,282 Officer
    Don't know about the iodine stuff, but I believe the recommended limited consumption due to mercury applies to all fish... even freshwater
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • Brand HBrand H Posts: 259 Officer
    They are high in mercury for a few reasons. They are relatively long lived, methylated mercury is fat soluble and mackerel are high in fat, and they are top shelf predators that bioaccumulate heavy metals. Having said all of that, unless you eat it a few times a week, you don't have much to worry about unless your a woman of child bearing age.

    Never heard about the iodine stuff.

    Edit: Just re-read that your wife is prego. I would stay away from it. It's obviously not worth the risk.
    9639-1.jpg?t=1307463973Wahoo11-11-07017-1.jpg

    Life is on the wire...the rest is just waiting.
  • roweryborowerybo Posts: 2,091 Officer
    only heard of high mercury levels
  • jah sonjah son Posts: 236 Officer
    Very interesting- I just read this at the bottom of an article that went up on the front page today:

    Consumption Advisory: Due the presence of methylmercury in tested specimens, the Florida Department of Health recommends against eating king mackerel greater than 31 inches fork length. For smaller kings, eat no more than one meal per month. Women of childbearing age and young children should eat no king mackerel whatsoever, the Department advises.

    Methylmercury is a known contributor to developmental and neurological problems. Its distribution in the aquatic and marine environments, though not completely understood, is thought to be linked to certain industrial and municipal waste emissions. The compound “bioaccumulates”—meaning it works its way up through the food chain and builds up greatest accumulations in the tissues of larger, older organisms.


    Well, that makes that decision easy. I am eating them anymore, in any size.
    Knowing is half the battle. The other half is violence.

    9 out of 10 times alcohol IS the answer.
  • El PescadorEl Pescador Posts: 186 Officer
    jah son wrote: »
    Methylmercury is a known contributor to developmental and neurological problems.

    Must be why i am Bat $h!t crazy.
    El Pescador formerly known as "El-Pescador"
    Original FS member since before Al Gore invented the internet.
    Previous post count 14,125,253
    Oh and "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
    Doug Larson"
    fspicbanner-1-1.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.